First time cruiser - question

tbgsmom

Ok, so we will be cruising on the Noordam to Alaska from Vancouver on August 15 and I'm getting excited. I have a question about disembark day. Our flight home does not leave from YVR until 4pm and we'd like to spend a couple of hours at the Vancouver Aquarium if possible before flying home.

Is it possible to get HAL to transfer our luggage to the airport without us? Also, what is the earliest we can get off the ship? We may have another solution for our bags, and we are packing as light as possible (carry on size suitcases & a backpack each). Can we just take our own bags off the ship that morning or do we have to let them do it?

Thank you! There is so much awesome info on this site, this is the only question I have.

Christine

Ok, so we will be cruising on the Noordam to Alaska from Vancouver on August 15 and I'm getting excited. I have a question about disembark day. Our flight home does not leave from YVR until 4pm and we'd like to spend a couple of hours at the Vancouver Aquarium if possible before flying home.

Is it possible to get HAL to transfer our luggage to the airport without us? Also, what is the earliest we can get off the ship? We may have another solution for our bags, and we are packing as light as possible (carry on size suitcases & a backpack each). Can we just take our own bags off the ship that morning or do we have to let them do it?

Thank you! There is so much awesome info on this site, this is the only question I have.

Christine

Welcome to CC and HAL.

Not sure about the getting your bags to YVR without you accompanying them but others may be able to answer that for you.

You can co early disembark and indeed take your luggage with you. That usually starts around 7:30 AM

We were on the Noordam in May so I am posting this link to our scanned On Locations (daily activities) to give you an idea of what to expect:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2015-noordam-on-location-daily-activities/

I also have all of the scanned daily menus for both the Lido and Main Dining Room.

Here is my photographic tour of the Noordam to get you oriented to the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-noordam-on-board-images/

Edited by Crew News

Indeed you can carry your luggage off, in fact you will be the 1st to disembark if you do this. Check into the Luggage Direct program where your luggage goes directly to the airport then to your home. Maybe check with the aquarium as many have storage facilities for bags and they may be able to accommodate your luggage so you can just bring them with you.

Vancouver has such great public transpiration to the airport that you might get them out to the airport and drop them off or store them perhaps and then still get back into town if it is near the air-port transit link. And get back to get on board in time for your flight if you take the first available disembarkation slot.

This would take some online research as to routes and schedules, but it might be easier to get the bags to the airport first than come back to the dock hotels and then gather them later.

When I sailed to Alaska on HAL (1 year ago) they had a program which included (1) a day's luggage storage with delivery to YVR, (2) a day pass on the hop on hop off bus, and (3) train to YVR. This was only offered on the ship but the luggage counter appeared to be a permanent setup. The counter appeared to be permanent and was right next to the exit from the cruise terminal. If this interests you there are a couple of things you could do:

Look for the terminal as you enter the terminal at the start of the cruise (If on a round trip). You might also be able to get some information by calling 604-683-3696.

It worked very well for me. My flight was actually early the next morning and I stayed at the Fairmont YVR. I gave up my bags leaving the ship, spent the day touring Vancouver, and when I checked into the hotel the bags were already in my room.

Roy

When I sailed to Alaska on HAL (1 year ago) they had a program which included (1) a day's luggage storage with delivery to YVR, (2) a day pass on the hop on hop off bus, and (3) train to YVR. This was only offered on the ship but the luggage counter appeared to be a permanent setup.
That can be purchased in advance on-line, but it is "not recommended" for international flights leaving before 5:00 pm or domestic leaving before 4:00 pm. The description doesn't say you can't, just "not recommended". The price is $59.95 per adult, $39.95 per child. Kinda expensive for what you're getting IMO!

If you are interested, see page 42 of

https://book.hollandamerica.com/shorex/viewFrontEndTourBrochureAction.do?task=getPDF

Edited by catl331

I think because it would be an international departure, the cruiselines can't offer their 'bag disappears from outside your cabin and reappears at your final destination airport' options (with the new kiosks, you declare what you need to at US customs and your bag is on-screen while you are being processed (i.e. if the customs officer has a problem with your declaration and wants to open the bag it's easily retrieved without you physically having to drag it past them like the bad old days).

Unfortunately a 4pm flight is too early for the pier-YVR transfer offered by Priority Baggage at Canada Place, but it's perfect for just leaving your bags with them while you tour, then coming back for them before you go to the aiport (you must pick up by 4pm, you'll want to get back by 1:30pm at the latest so you can reach YVR within the recommended 'at least 2hrs before flight' window). Big bags $8 apiece, a buck or two less for smaller ones.

Other option is to leave bags with bell staff at a hotel - e.g. Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront right by the pier - with a preemptive tip (rumour has it $5 a bag will do nicely).

Then enjoy a leisurely walk along the Seawall to the park, or a boring but quicker walk along Pender & Georgia or get on the 19 bus if you're feeling lazy.

And hellz to the no to going to the airport first - even if you just store bags there and immediately come back you just wasted an entire hour or more of your very short sightseeing window plus the cost of getting there & back.

Agree, going to the airport first is not the best option but something to consider if nothing else works out. Best thing is the public rail transit does not get bogged down in traffic so you know when you will arrive at the airport. Approx rail transit time Canada Place (dock) to Airport - 40 minutes each way. That does add up back and forth and back again.

There was also link for "baggage genie" in Vancouver when I googled this topic.

Edited by OlsSalt

The Aquarium is really close to Canada Place. Your best bet would be to store them at the Pan Pacific hotel lobby, then get on one of the hop-on-hop-off tour bus, or take a cab, then come back to the terminal, grab your luggage and take the skytrain to the airport.

Thanks everyone - this is excellent information. I should have mentioned that we live in Calgary so our 4pm flight is domestic. Thank goodness we won't have to deal with customs again!

I will definitely see about leaving our bags at the Pan Pacific hotel. My 15 year old might not be too excited about leaving the ship really early (he prefers to stay in bed until noon) but my 3 other boys (that includes hubby) will like the idea, I'm sure.

I may have other questions before we leave.

And in case anyone is wondering how we're managing accommodations as a family of 5, the cruise is actually a family reunion/gift from my parents. We will be a group of 24 - my parents, their 5 kids, 4 children in law and 13 grandkids. My oldest is rooming with his unmarried uncle & 2 cousins. We are going to have a blast!

As a fellow Canuck you might be able to slide a little further back on your arrival time at YVR, but I'd still stick to 2 hours before unless you all have NEXUS or other security-queue bypassing membership. It's not US Customs that causes the big queues any more, it's the YVR rentacop security monkeys that every single pax has to get past...

Since the aquarium doesn't open until 9:30am even in high season, your teen can lie in about as much as possible. The cruiseline wants you all gone by 9:30am or earlier, so you don't need to bust a gut to get off first.

Self-disembarkation (when you take your own bags) you can do any time until they start giving people the boot, so have a decent breakfast and aim to be getting off c. 8:30am - even if customs/immigration at the pier takes a while you'll still be in good shape to get to the aquarium for opening time if you all jump in a cab (with 5 of you, it's cheaper than transit). Walking allow a full 45mins along the Seawall - more if you think you might take photos along the way.

I assume your whole group is not on the same flight or you'd be asking about hiring buses! With five of you even a minivan cab is not going to be be sufficient with your luggage, so assume 2 metered cabs at ballpark C$35 apiece to get to the airport or a 6-pax limo for about $90. Transit via Skytrain is consistently fast and easy, $2.75pp for adults/$1.75 for 13 or under/free under 5s (Saturdays are all single zone travel). You could actually buy tickets on the 19 bus (NB: exact fare, coins only on buses!) to get back from the park to the pier, then use those same tickets to board Skytrain as long as it's within 90 minutes.

You should be at the airport within ~30mins of arriving at Waterfront station unless you just miss a YVR train (you may wait up to 10mins between trains early afternoon on a Saturday, but the trip is only 26mins end-to-end).

Excellent information martincath! That is perfect info on getting to the airport. Thank you! I also found out that the aquarium rents lockers. The larger ones will fit our suitcases and only cost $2 each, which is perfect. We'll probably take a cab to the aquarium. I'd love to walk, but 45 min pulling suitcases might be a bit much.

All the families are parting ways after we disembark. Some are driving back to Alberta (Calgary or Edmonton) and some of us are flying. Otherwise, a bus would work perfectly!

I booked excursions tonight & bought the fountain pop drink cards for everyone who drinks PPP (that's everyone but me). We are doing a hike at the Juneau port, zip lining at Skagway and the lumberjack show at Ketchican. Getting more & more excited!

Edited by tbgsmom

Is it possible to get HAL to transfer our luggage to the airport without us? Also, what is the earliest we can get off the ship? We may have another solution for our bags, and we are packing as light as possible (carry on size suitcases & a backpack each).
When you get off the boat.... look for the car rentals. To the right of the car rentals is CDS Baggage Services.

$40 for Airport/Hotel transfer. This is for a maximum of 4 bags. $10 more for each additional bags.

Call 604-303-4500 to confirm if they can get the luggage there by 1pm for your 3hr pre-flight searches.

With regards to the Aquarium.... here's a suggested reverse timeline

The best way to enjoy the aquarium is to pay attention to the show schedule. Looking at tomorrow's schedule..... it can change for your arrival date

• 10:30 a.m.Caring for Belugas
  • 10:45 a.m.Family Program
  • 10:45 a.m.4D: Sea Monsters
  • 11:00 a.m.Spotlight on Sea Otters
  • 11:15 a.m.4D: Sea Monsters
  • 11:30 a.m.Trainer Talk
  • 11:30 a.m.Caring for Dolphins
  • 11:45 a.m.4D: Sea Monsters
  • 12:00 p.m.Creatures Off Our Coast
  • 12:10 p.m.4D: Sea Monsters
  • 12:15 p.m.Sea Monsters Game Show
  • 12:30 p.m.4D: Sea MonstersDaily
  • 12:45am should have you hiking to bus stop (15 min) or having a cab pickup

Don't miss the Belugas, Sea Otters and Dolphins.

BTW.... near the bus stop is the train.... a fav for kids....

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/stanley-park-miniature-train.aspx

Edited by xlxo

With regards to the Aquarium.... here's a suggested reverse timeline

[*]4pm wheels up

[*]2pm arrive at YVR to retrieve luggage, check-in, and the important searches (weapons, luggage, carry-on, body, hand, cavity.... full meal deal)

[*]12:45pm.... depart Aquarium for YVR

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Vancouver+Aquarium,+Avison+Way,+Vancouver,+BC/Vancouver+International+Airport,+3211+Grant+McConachie+Way,+Richmond,+BC+V7B+0A4/@49.2469011,-123.2219622,12z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x5486718d7aca6ca7:0x5f251627980ee358!2m2!1d-123.1309293!2d49.3007961!1m5!1m1!1s0x54860b348627a39b:0xba68ccac86348084!2m2!1d-123.1815123!2d49.1966913!2m3!6e1!7e2!8j1438779600!3e3

[*]9:30am aquarium arrival when it first opens

[*]9am depart ship and look for CDS

I live right by the aquarium and can confirm this is your best bet, and also very accurate.

I would seriously consider walking to the aquarium on the sea wall, 45min to an hour as stated earlier. I would also highly recommend transit back to YVR, the Canada Line train is faster than driving. Cabs in Vancouver can only take 4 passengers so you would need 2 and from Stanley park, midday on the weekend in August be prepared to pay $40-$50 easy (I took a cab to YVR recently at 5:00am and it was $35 before tip).

Have a great trip and have a great time at the aquarium.