Undecided about seeing Cats on the Oasis?

So many folks have complained about the Broadway show, “Cats,” on the Oasis. Many say they were bored because it was hard to follow. For that reason I am including a brief summary that hopefully will help future cruisers who have never seen the production and want to take a chance on it. I should preface this by saying the stage never changes (not even on Broadway) and there is no dialogue….only songs and dancing.

Every year “The Jellicle Ball” is held in the neighborhood junkyard. It’s a big deal to all of the town cats…both purebreds and feral … because one of them will be selected by their leader to be ascended to a special place (paradise? heaven? big spa in the sky?). While there they will receive special status and an extra 9 lives. Needless to say, the competition is fierce and it’s the basis of the story as each cat tries to persuade Old Deuteronomy that he/she is deserving of this coveted honor. One character in particular, Grizabella the Glamour Cat, is not so glamorous anymore and is the subject of much ridicule and bullying by all of the other cats. Will she win her way into the heart of Old Deuteronomy and be chosen to be whisked away to the “heavy-side layer?"

You can certainly find better and more detailed summaries online…but that’s pretty much it in a nutshell. You might also consider purchasing the soundtrack and getting familiar with the music and lyrics. You might even find yourself getting a little addicted to it! Hope this helps those of you who are on the fence about seeing the show. Needless to say, I am a huge fan of Cats.

I saw it in Pittsburgh last summer (well the first act.) It was mid-week, after work, and after the first act being what it was/is we decided to leave. I regret this because I had family go the following week and say its worth seeing for the second act. Needless to say, I will be seeing the full show on Oasis next month.

I saw it in Pittsburgh last summer (well the first act.) It was mid-week, after work, and after the first act being what it was/is we decided to leave. I regret this because I had family go the following week and say its worth seeing for the second act. Needless to say, I will be seeing the full show on Oasis next month.

Hope you enjoy sitting 2 /12 hours watching people dressed up like cats slithering on the stage and down the aisles.

It's so disappointing that RCCL chose to have this show when there are so many others fabulous musicals and plays! The only way I could get through such a show is to sit there with blindfolds on and listen to the beautiful music. Thank goodness we have already been on Oasis and saw Hairspray. I have no desire to go on Oasis as long as Cats is "the show".

When we saw it on broadway, we also walked out...too creepy for us...

Hope you enjoy sitting 2 /12 hours watching people dressed up like cats slithering on the stage and down the aisles.

It's so disappointing that RCCL chose to have this show when there are so many others fabulous musicals and plays! The only way I could get through such a show is to sit there with blindfolds on and listen to the beautiful music. Thank goodness we have already been on Oasis and saw Hairspray. I have no desire to go on Oasis as long as Cats is "the show".

While I agree that there are plenty of other great shows that they could've chose (and Hairspray was great when it was on Oasis,) I can't say I would stay away from Oasis just because of it. Also, I think there is a certain form of art and talent that goes into it and it's very wrong to discredit that, even if it's not your taste.

Glad to hear. We are on Adventure and Navigator next, I guess we won't miss the show:D We would NEVER have any interest in a 2.5 hour show which is what it sound like......

Edited by bouhunter

Basically, if you are not a fan of musicals and not a fan of dance, skip it.

Cats is an extremely popular and successful show. It's not for nothin' it ran forever on B'way and is, apparently, coming back.

If you can suspend disbelief and just see the performers as real cats, with all the character and personalities that cats have, you'll probably enjoy it. (I saw it twice on B'way)

Of course, I haven't met a musical (or play) that I haven't enjoyed on some level - (music, staging, story, makeup, costuming, dance...something) - so I might be a bit biased.

Edited by srlafleur

I still have no desire to see Cats. I saw it on Broadway and hated it. (And I am a huge LOVER of musicals) I will not cruise on Oasis until the show changes. There are many other cruising options, and since entertainment is very important to me, I will choose a ship with more appealing shows.

The 2.5 hour length doesn't put me off, though. Mamma Mia is that long, but it was a fun show and didn't "feel" that long at all (we saw it on Quantum; twice during the same sailing via the standby line to second time). I just saw An American In Paris on Broadway last week, and it was also 2.5 hours - no problem to sit through. If the show is fun and holds your interest, then it doesn't matter how long it is. I'd rather have the full production than an abridged version. Shorter shows often leave me wanting more.

Edited by DonnaK

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

I'll also try to keep that in mind till Spring. My wife is looking forward to it, I'll go along for the ride, hope I enjoy it and hope I can stick it out through the intermission.

Cats is sort of based on a series of T.S. Elliot poems [Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats] set to music. The plot is indeed contrived, but the music is great in my opinion. When my kids were younger, my DD and I would go to the touring companies of the musicals that came through [with DS it was monster trucks and the circus but that's another story]. Cats was one of our favorites. If you like musicals, and don't hate ALW, give it a chance.

I love musicals, I love dance. That is not the issue. I just don't love CATS, sorry.

Where is that "LIKE" button????

I've never been more disappointed in a musical. We saw it in NYC and disregarded what friends had told us......just thinking they didn't know what they were talking about.

They knew........

Saw Lion King the next night.......incredible!

Edited by Beachammo

I am a great fan of Cats. I have seen it twice at the theater, took our kids when they were young and they loved it. Shows, like food, is quite subjective. Depends on taste. But if you are going to see it, get T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." It is what the play is based on and will familiarize you with the different cats. I love it. Hope to see it on Oasis.

I am a great fan of Cats. I have seen it twice at the theater, took our kids when they were young and they loved it. Shows, like food, is quite subjective. Depends on taste. But if you are going to see it, get T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." It is what the play is based on and will familiarize you with the different cats. I love it. Hope to see it on Oasis.

Papa, you said what I was thinking as I read this thread…I was thinking it was a lot like reading people's comments about MDR food!

I enjoyed Cats when I saw it in the theater too. I also I have a copy of Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. (We even once had a cat we named Grizabella.) Everybody has different taste in entertainment, as you pointed out. Some like musicals, and some don't. Cats is even a little different than a typical musical since there is virtually no dialogue and T.S. Elliot's verses from the book are sung. It's almost like opera. There is one song (Memory) that topped the charts back in the early 80's, so that song will be familiar to most people. But that's probably the only 'familiar' song in this musical for most folks.

Cats had a very long run on Broadway (17 or 18 years?) and is the third longest running Broadway show (behind Phantom and Chicago.) When Royal chose it, I'm sure they considered how popular it was and how impressive the costumes and make-up are. What they may not have considered enough is the entertainment expectation of the typical cruise ship passenger and the amount of time they want to spend at a show onboard. Whether cruise ship audiences will warm up to it remains to be seen.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I still have no desire to see Cats. I saw it on Broadway and hated it. (And I am a huge LOVER of musicals) I will not cruise on Oasis until the show changes. There are many other cruising options, and since entertainment is very important to me, I will choose a ship with more appealing shows.

The 2.5 hour length doesn't put me off, though. Mamma Mia is that long, but it was a fun show and didn't "feel" that long at all (we saw it on Quantum; twice during the same sailing via the standby line to second time). I just saw An American In Paris on Broadway last week, and it was also 2.5 hours - no problem to sit through. If the show is fun and holds your interest, then it doesn't matter how long it is. I'd rather have the full production than an abridged version. Shorter shows often leave me wanting more.

This is an honest question, Not a slam or derogatory comment... My question is. Would you seriously not sail a ship because on one of the seven nights there was not a "broadway" type show that you were interested in seeing? (I know you said you saw the same show twice) For me, I always just thought of it as one more option, I consider the ship and the ports, but never put any thought into the show that was playing.(mostly because most ship have the branson missouri, Hee Haw shows that I would never walk into anyways)... To my knowledge there are only a handful out of all the cruise ships that actually have a "broadway type" show on them... so if not the oasis, what ships on any line (based on the show) are on your list for consideration? Also, as you said, you would rather see the "full production" but due to the size of the theaters and the wing space, they cant really do the full production, they dont have the space or the budgets for the scenic elements.. That's why the broadway version will always be a more complete option"

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

I saw Cats on the Oasis last November. Didn't care for it at all. I love musicals and love going to the Theatre and I am very glad I didn't spend money to see it on Broadway. My DH loved it though because he had a 2 1/2 hour nap!

Cats would not stop me from sailing the Oasis again. In fact we are going on the Oasis again this November and again Feb 2016. I just book my entertainment for the November Cruise. I just left Cats out. Plenty of other things to do. If I liked Cats I would go see it again. I love seeing shows 2 - 3 times, just shows I enjoy of course. Cats, never again.

So many folks have complained about the Broadway show, “Cats,” on the Oasis. Many say they were bored because it was hard to follow. For that reason I am including a brief summary that hopefully will help future cruisers who have never seen the production and want to take a chance on it. I should preface this by saying the stage never changes (not even on Broadway) and there is no dialogue….only songs and dancing.

Every year “The Jellicle Ball” is held in the neighborhood junkyard. It’s a big deal to all of the town cats…both purebreds and feral … because one of them will be selected by their leader to be ascended to a special place (paradise? heaven? big spa in the sky?). While there they will receive special status and an extra 9 lives. Needless to say, the competition is fierce and it’s the basis of the story as each cat tries to persuade Old Deuteronomy that he/she is deserving of this coveted honor. One character in particular, Grizabella the Glamour Cat, is not so glamorous anymore and is the subject of much ridicule and bullying by all of the other cats. Will she win her way into the heart of Old Deuteronomy and be chosen to be whisked away to the “heavy-side layer?"

You can certainly find better and more detailed summaries online…but that’s pretty much it in a nutshell. You might also consider purchasing the soundtrack and getting familiar with the music and lyrics. You might even find yourself getting a little addicted to it! Hope this helps those of you who are on the fence about seeing the show. Needless to say, I am a huge fan of Cats.

IMO not the best choice of shows for a diverse audience. I have seen the show on Broadway. My DH and I have seen many B'way shows over the past 30 years. I think Cats is one of the bottom 3 shows out of perhaps 75. So many other options that would have been a better choice.

We truly enjoyed seeing Hairspray on the Oasis and enjoyed Chicago on the Allure and also Mama Mia-which we will see again in January on the Allure- much better choices IMO. If cats was on the Allure this year, we would have skipped it.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Where is that "LIKE" button????

I've never been more disappointed in a musical. We saw it in NYC and disregarded what friends had told us......just thinking they didn't know what they were talking about.

They knew........

Saw Lion King the next night.......incredible!

Oooh now Lion King would be AMAZING to have on Oasis!! I can't imagine anyone not loving that production!

I feel we pay a bit more for certain cruise ships because there is a production show on them.

So yes......it does influence my decision to sail Oasis.

So, if I am understanding it's the price of the oasis that makes you not sail it.. not necessarily the show? I say this because most of your upcoming cruises that are on your signature dont have a "broadway" show on them. I am just trying to understand peoples thought process and along those lines if the oasis was the same price as your upcoming cruises would you then accept to oasis?