Live from the queen mary 2

deck chair

Hello

Even though this is my 18th sailing on this fabulous ship, all but one trans-Atlantics, it is still a great thrill to drive into the pier area and see the beautiful, welcoming and majestic Queen Mary 2. It was a drop dead gorgeous day although a bit hot. After dropping of my two bags with the porters (Tipped $5) I parked my car in the parking lot ($480 for 30 days) took a few pictures of the outside of the ship and walked into the terminal. BTW, the exterior of the Ship looked great although in need a bit of a paint job.

I was an hour late for my noon check-in but even at 1PM, the crowds were rather sparse in the terminal given it was a sold out sailing from what I had been told. As a Diamond member of CWC, was an easy process and once aboard went directly to my cabin (5088 - sheltered balcony which are perfect for crossings) to unload my carry-on, check my table card (second sitting table 149.) I learned long ago to immediately check out the table and if unhappy make note of table numbers of more agreeable tables and seek out the help of the MD who is on station during embarkation to assist passengers who are seeking to make changes. While I was not totally happy with the location of my table (149), all the other options were not open at least for the first night. The MD promised to try to make a change when things settled down. He usually succeeds judging by previous crossings. As it turned out our table was fabulous with wonderful companions so I told the MD I was happy where we were.

I am always amazed by the number of passengers who have no idea that they can change their tables or sittings (If available) and assume they are stuck with where they are assigned. I always recommend that embarking passengers check out their table locations and if unhappy make note of the tables that are more pleasing and try to make a change. it is clear many passengers don't know that there are 4 levels in the dining room. People, learn the dining room!!! some levels and locations are better than others in my opinion.

It was a gorgeous sail out of New York. We sailed at 6PM. Beautiful balmy early evening...just magical..All the passengers, many waving American flags, I saw were just thrilled to death to be on this ship..It was very difficult to go inside to change for the night ahead. BTW, because this is a Summer sailing there are tons of kids of all ages on board. I for one love to have the kids on board since they add more life to the ship.

After cocktails in the Commodore Club to the wonderful sounds of a piano, it was off to dinner....BTW, it is always great to see fellow passengers from previous voyages. (we met two couples on the first afternoon alone!) its fun to catch up and compare plans. it is also great to run into crew members who you have gotten to know over the years. it is like old home week!

Dinner was great. The food was hot and plentiful and the service was outstanding. Our table companions were very enjoyable and engaging.

So after a long day I took to bed and slept well. at about 3Am I was awakened by a huge boom of thundering and lightening that could have awakened the dead. it was quite a sight! And to be honest, a bit scary. I do scare easily, however! (Which is why I was not allowed in the army or Marines.)

So this is our first full day at sea. I had breakfast in the dining room. I don't care for Kings Court in most cases for meals because it is such a zoo as we all know. Service was again great and the food wonderful. The weather is about 70 degrees, a bit windy, moderate seas and somewhat overcast. I plan to read out on the wonderful promenade deck and just watch the sea go by.(And people watch) it is a beautiful sea. Yes? And we are on a beautiful ship. yes?

I shall continue this as the voyage proceeds. If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. In the meantime, plan your own voyage on Queen Mary 2. Do it now!

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

Thank you for posting and I look forward to your updates! I feel as you do - there is a magnificence to the sight of her on approach to Redhook. I recall on driver turning up the driveway, and upon seeing her bow tower over the parking lot, "Holy [ship]!":D

As to the Commodore Club, is there any chance that either (or both) of these young ladies are holding court behind the bar?......Alexandra (Serbia) or Syvetlana (Ukraine). Alexandra was a most creative cocktail maker......one of my all time favorites was Alexandra's French Twist...!

We dropped off friends at the Red Hook terminal for their return voyage yesterday. As you said, the sight of the the QM2 in all her glory was brilliant. We returned home in time to watch your sail-away as viewed from the on-shore webcam. What a magnificent sight as you sailed past lower Manhattan then out to sea. Certainly wished we were on board with you. DW and I haven't done an Atlantic crossing as yet but we definitely think a voyage on the QM2 is in our future. Bon Voyage!

As to the Commodore Club, is there any chance that either (or both) of these young ladies are holding court behind the bar?......Alexandra (Serbia) or Syvetlana (Ukraine). Alexandra was a most creative cocktail maker......one of my all time favorites was Alexandra's French Twist...!

Hello...will try to find my next visit up there....

Deck Chair

Thank you for posting and I look forward to your updates! I feel as you do - there is a magnificence to the sight of her on approach to Redhook. I recall on driver turning up the driveway, and upon seeing her bow tower over the parking lot, "Holy [ship]!":D

Thanks, Blueriband, I enjoy your postings as well....Deck Chair

Would be very interested in the attire worn at the 175 Formal Ball. We have just had our dress codes come thru for our QM2 cruise in Dec and I note there is one of these themed balls scheduled. I understand it is a celebration of the Cunard 175 Anniversary but would like to know what is expected dress wise. Many thanks, enjoy your cruise.

Would be very interested in the attire worn at the 175 Formal Ball. We have just had our dress codes come thru for our QM2 cruise in Dec and I note there is one of these themed balls scheduled. I understand it is a celebration of the Cunard 175 Anniversary but would like to know what is expected dress wise. Many thanks, enjoy your cruise.

You can wear black, red, and gold (the Cunard colors) if you like, but as is the case with other themed balls, this won't be expected. As long as you're appropriately dressed for the evening, all will be well.

Foghorn: Just got back from the QM2 and have copies of the menus. There are no sugsr free desserts but always low suger selections: ie, some listed are:

low sugar berry cake with berry compote, Rubarb and strawberry crumble with vanilla sauce ( delicious), berry mousse, date walnut coffee cake , carrot cake and orange cream cheese, tapioca with coconut milk

Foghorn: Just got back from the QM2 and have copies of the menus. There are no sugsr free desserts but always low suger selections: ie, some listed are:

low sugar berry cake with berry compote, Rubarb and strawberry crumble with vanilla sauce ( delicious), berry mousse, date walnut coffee cake , carrot cake and orange cream cheese, tapioca with coconut milk

Thanks so much! very kind of you :)

Hello

I am so sorry I have not been able to post as I would like to. As we all know the internet service on this ship is mediocre at best and poor at worst. I have tried to send posts but get frozen out and dropped completely so I have given up a bit. Of course, the internet manager credits you back the time but that doesn't help that much.

let me just quickly summarize so far before I get thrown off again.

The food is good to excellent.

The service is fabulous.

There is almost universal compliance with the dress code.

There are wonderful musicians everywhere.

The evening elegance of the ship continues.

The condition of the ship is good.

Fellow passengers are fun. YOU can make friends everywhere you turn. There are tons of solo passengers and they are having more fun than some couples I see.

Kings Court is a zoo so I usually eat in the dining room.

The weather has been uneven. Today it is sunny and cool but yesterday was overcast, a bit foggy and rainy.

Sorry for this short post. Please ask any questions and I will try to answer.

Deck chair

Hello Went to Commodore Club last night.....Alexandra is apparently in the Queens Grill lounge and the other is in the Golden Lion Pub.

Deck Chair

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your effort! These young ladies were the best....will be glad to see them again (hopefully) in Nov. Loving your posts! Enjoy every second of your trip!

Hello

Even though this is my 18th sailing on this fabulous ship, all but one trans-Atlantics, it is still a great thrill to drive into the pier area and see the beautiful, welcoming and majestic Queen Mary 2. It was a drop dead gorgeous day although a bit hot. After dropping of my two bags with the porters (Tipped $5) I parked my car in the parking lot ($480 for 30 days) took a few pictures of the outside of the ship and walked into the terminal. BTW, the exterior of the Ship looked great although in need a bit of a paint job.

I was an hour late for my noon check-in but even at 1PM, the crowds were rather sparse in the terminal given it was a sold out sailing from what I had been told. As a Diamond member of CWC, was an easy process and once aboard went directly to my cabin (5088 - sheltered balcony which are perfect for crossings) to unload my carry-on, check my table card (second sitting table 149.) I learned long ago to immediately check out the table and if unhappy make note of table numbers of more agreeable tables and seek out the help of the MD who is on station during embarkation to assist passengers who are seeking to make changes. While I was not totally happy with the location of my table (149), all the other options were not open at least for the first night. The MD promised to try to make a change when things settled down. He usually succeeds judging by previous crossings. As it turned out our table was fabulous with wonderful companions so I told the MD I was happy where we were.

I am always amazed by the number of passengers who have no idea that they can change their tables or sittings (If available) and assume they are stuck with where they are assigned. I always recommend that embarking passengers check out their table locations and if unhappy make note of the tables that are more pleasing and try to make a change. it is clear many passengers don't know that there are 4 levels in the dining room. People, learn the dining room!!! some levels and locations are better than others in my opinion.

It was a gorgeous sail out of New York. We sailed at 6PM. Beautiful balmy early evening...just magical..All the passengers, many waving American flags, I saw were just thrilled to death to be on this ship..It was very difficult to go inside to change for the night ahead. BTW, because this is a Summer sailing there are tons of kids of all ages on board. I for one love to have the kids on board since they add more life to the ship.

After cocktails in the Commodore Club to the wonderful sounds of a piano, it was off to dinner....BTW, it is always great to see fellow passengers from previous voyages. (we met two couples on the first afternoon alone!) its fun to catch up and compare plans. it is also great to run into crew members who you have gotten to know over the years. it is like old home week!

Dinner was great. The food was hot and plentiful and the service was outstanding. Our table companions were very enjoyable and engaging.

So after a long day I took to bed and slept well. at about 3Am I was awakened by a huge boom of thundering and lightening that could have awakened the dead. it was quite a sight! And to be honest, a bit scary. I do scare easily, however! (Which is why I was not allowed in the army or Marines.)

So this is our first full day at sea. I had breakfast in the dining room. I don't care for Kings Court in most cases for meals because it is such a zoo as we all know. Service was again great and the food wonderful. The weather is about 70 degrees, a bit windy, moderate seas and somewhat overcast. I plan to read out on the wonderful promenade deck and just watch the sea go by.(And people watch) it is a beautiful sea. Yes? And we are on a beautiful ship. yes?

I shall continue this as the voyage proceeds. If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer. In the meantime, plan your own voyage on Queen Mary 2. Do it now!

Deck Chair

We are very much looking forward to read about your TA on the QMII. Can you please tell us how one can check out the location of the assigned table? Are there dining room maps with that info available? Thanking you in advance.

Colibri 93.

love reading your blog, deck chair! Can hardly wait to be on QM2 again, ask your internet manager how you can write your blog off line, then put it in drafts and post it when you want to! Will save you gobs of time and money!

Thanks...will do that....as you may know there are often long lines to speak to the internet manager as many people have wi-fi issues with their devices....thanks again.

We are very much looking forward to read about your TA on the QMII. Can you please tell us how one can check out the location of the assigned table? Are there dining room maps with that info available? Thanking you in advance.

Colibri 93.

Hello

Once you check into your cabin there will be a table number assignment card. Take that with you into the dining room and find that table. Most of the tables will have their numbers on them. If you are having trouble ask one of the waiters that are usually around and they can help you find it. If you like the table and location that's great. If not, make note of the numbers of tables you do like. Remember, there are FOUR levels in the dining room so check them all out before you decide. I prefer either the main level or the uppermost level (which is rather quiet.) Then go to the MD and attempt to make the change. Sometimes he can't do right away so you may have to wait until the next evening. Let me know if this has been helpful. Good luck.

Deck Chair

Hello

This morning so far the weather has been most sunny. Moderate seas. The ship and crew continue to shine. I have no complaints at all. COntinue to meet new people. its great to learn their lives and stories. YOu don't get that experience on an airplane....

Tonight is the Worldl CLub party and I assume there will be tons of people.

Please let me know if you have any questions....I am now going to Sir Samuels for coffee and then to the promenade deck to read and watch the sea go by....

Deck Chair

Hello

Once you check into your cabin there will be a table number assignment card. Take that with you into the dining room and find that table. Most of the tables will have their numbers on them. If you are having trouble ask one of the waiters that are usually around and they can help you find it. If you like the table and location that's great. If not, make note of the numbers of tables you do like. Remember, there are FOUR levels in the dining room so check them all out before you decide. I prefer either the main level or the uppermost level (which is rather quiet.) Then go to the MD and attempt to make the change. Sometimes he can't do right away so you may have to wait until the next evening. Let me know if this has been helpful. Good luck.

Deck Chair

I'm on this crossing too, and I'm intrigued by this. I've seen people queueing to see the MD to change tables. Surely this only works if the table you prefer also wants to change? Otherwise, once my card has been delivered to my cabin and I don't want to change my table, can I be moved against my will? Do they just swap the table numbers over? The whole thing just seems a bit odd to me!

I'm on this crossing too, and I'm intrigued by this. I've seen people queueing to see the MD to change tables. Surely this only works if the table you prefer also wants to change? Otherwise, once my card has been delivered to my cabin and I don't want to change my table, can I be moved against my will? Do they just swap the table numbers over? The whole thing just seems a bit odd to me!

No you can't be moved if you are happy with your 'allocated table'. I believe deck chair was referring to any 'vacant tables' within the MD's 'computer'. If a table of your preferred choice is not vacant, the MD and his team are very accommodating in finding a suitable table in your preferred area of the restaurant.

:)