Live from the queen mary 2

deck chair

Hello

Hoping I don't get thrown off or frozen out....no one is going to be removed from a certain table just because someone else may desire it. I've noticed over the years that for the first couple of nights there is quite a bit of change going on. Someone may not like where they are sitting or the sitting and seek a change which opens up thatsame table for you that you find just grand. That is how it works. I truly believe the staff does everything in their power to please.

I continue to be very happy with the range of music and the number of musicians all over the ship. I am not aware of any other line that budgets for the number of musicians Cunard have on their ships. Most of the other cruise lines are cutting back. After all, the thinking must go, the stupid passengers are not going to notice that there are few musicians on board so why pay for them.

It was sunny just about all day. And in the mid to high 60's or so. Tons of people were sunning, swimming in the pools and walking around the promenade deck where just about all the chairs were occupied. Perfect! Late in the afternoon it began to cloud up but folks were still walking around the deck.

Tonight is the CWC party which should be fun as always. Great to meet and catch up with passengers. Yes? BTW, I continue to run into crew members from past voyages and they greet me as if I am their lost cat finally come home. Nice.

Hope to stay in touch.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

Hello

This is the last day before arriving in England...yesterday the weather was great with a lot of sun bathers and walkers/runners.

The ship/crew continue to impress. Service top notch. After a bit over two weeks in France I am looking forward to me return crossing on 8/27 along with the British National Symphony Orchestra.

Please let me know if you have any questions....see you about the ship. I am the tall man who gazes out to sea knowing life is good.

Deck Chair

deck chair

It has been good to read your reports and so nice to hear your upbeat review of the crossing. It has made me realise that it is over 12 months since we have been on QM2, so must do something about this; perhaps a trip very soon after the refit. Enjoy your day today, have a wonderful holiday in France and an even better trip home (if possible)!

Thank you for the reports. Curious whether the Twinings Breakfast Tea is in the red/black or golden packet and wondered if you could let us know? We will be on the ship in November. We were on QV in April and they had switched to the Golden packets which we didn't care for as much. Thank you.

Thank you for the reports. Curious whether the Twinings Breakfast Tea is in the red/black or golden packet and wondered if you could let us know? We will be on the ship in November. We were on QV in April and they had switched to the Golden packets which we didn't care for as much. Thank you.

Doghouse if you do not get an answer, The Twinings English Breakfast tea is the Normal Gold/Yellow/Black envelope. The Red/Black/Gold is the Strong English Breakfast and is not in Kings Court.

Edited by Pennbank

Hello

This is the last day before arriving in England...yesterday the weather was great with a lot of sun bathers and walkers/runners.

The ship/crew continue to impress. Service top notch. After a bit over two weeks in France I am looking forward to me return crossing on 8/27 along with the British National Symphony Orchestra.

Please let me know if you have any questions....see you about the ship. I am the tall man who gazes out to sea knowing life is good.

Deck Chair

Hi Deck Chair,

What a treat to be able to follow you on your crossing.

Note that you're back on Aug 27.

We are on that one, too, and would love to meet you.

There is a M&M group set up for that trip, at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209241&page=8

if you would like to join us. Your experience on this voyage would be invaluable for the group just starting out.

Secondly,

as jazz fans, can you tell me about the jazz music on board, please?

Do they still have a trio (plus sit-ins?) nightly in the (I think) Chart Room bar? Any jazz concerts on a bigger stage?

Looking forward to meeting you.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

John & Jerri, from Toronto

aka. Canuker.

Hello

Yes, The Hodgson trio plays nightly in the Chart Room. T hey have been on for years and always draw a big crowd...at one this afternoon they played for a singalong in the Grand Lobby. Nice.

I will do my best to make the meet and greet...

The weather today was wonderful with plenty of sun...a lot of people out and about...overall the weather on this crossing has been pretty good.

Thank you for all your comments....see you soon.

Deck Chair

Thank you so much for this. We are sailing on the QM2 in 9 days (yay) and it will be our first time on this fabulous sounding ship. We have plenty of formal wear but what is the temperature of the boat/dining hall/bars like? As a lady my dresses run a little cooler than my husbands suits and I am trying to work out whether to bring a shawl, cardigan or just a light wrap. All help gratefully received.

I have read your posts and sincerely thank you for taking the time to tell us about this. We were excited before I read this now we are positively beaming. Also delighted to hear your cabin selection - we are the other side of the boat, also in a sheltered balcony, almost directly opposite 5088!

Edited by mum2bowie

No you can't be moved if you are happy with your 'allocated table'. I believe deck chair was referring to any 'vacant tables' within the MD's 'computer'. If a table of your preferred choice is not vacant, the MD and his team are very accommodating in finding a suitable table in your preferred area of the restaurant.

:)

Thank you Bell Boy for your response-I was unable to reply before as my internet connection was very hit and miss. Now that I'm home again (:() I can respond!

The first sitting in the MDR was, apparently, full but I get the feeling there is more room to manoeuvre on second sitting?

This was our first time on QM2 and indeed our first transatlantic and we were on board for 20 days! We really enjoyed it - the ship is fabulous just like everyone said. As Deck Chair mentioned, we were lucky with the weather on the return crossing.

I thought I would post a review soon if I ever manage to get to the bottom of the washing and ironing :D

Thank for your review. It encourages me to plan for my dream ... I have family in the UK (my mother was a Brit) and one day I intend to cross over on a grand ocean liner in the old style. Maybe 2017 when I turn 50. Not a bad birthday present for myself.

Even "steerage" passengers seem to do well, with nicely appointed, spacious cabins (I would go in an inside), and the Britannia Restaurant which does not have a huge menu but what there is looks great. And then there is the Golden Lion for the occasional pub lunch and possibly the buffet (although I'd avoid the buffet at dinner as they now have a cover charge and it's apparently not worth it).

And afternoon tea with scones and clotted cream! Sounds lovely all around.

I would do it through a travel agency I cannot name here but it has a 90 day ticker with some truly amazing fares, like $599 for an inside cabin! Wow!!

Edited by Presbycruiser

(although I'd avoid the buffet at dinner as they now have a cover charge and it's apparently not worth it).

The cover charge is not for a buffet meal. The meal is waiter-served with tablecloths on the tables and is in a closed off area of the buffet.

The cover charge is not for a buffet meal. The meal is waiter-served with tablecloths on the tables and is in a closed off area of the buffet.

I was basing my comment on the "official" Cruisecritic review which suggested that while the service at the venue was wonderful, the food was horrible ... basically stuff reheated from lunch and presented differently on the plate. Why pay for that when you have the main restaurants?

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Strictly speaking it's not a buffet at dinner but if it's just recycled buffet food that's not encouraging to me, especially if they charge for it!

Edited by Presbycruiser

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Strictly speaking it's not a buffet at dinner but if it's just recycled buffet food that's not encouraging to me, especially if they charge for it!

We have done the Asian Tastings on four different trips and loved it. Trust me....there was nothing recycled about it....it was fantastic, along with the service.

I am so sorry I have not been able to post as I would like to. As we all know the internet service on this ship is mediocre at best and poor at worst. I have tried to send posts but get frozen out and dropped completely so I have given up a bit.
Just curious, are you using an Apple, PC, or Android?

I doubt that an "official" CruiseCritic review advised that the food was recycled and horrible. Perhaps a review from disgruntled passenger who was misinformed ...

I swear I'm not making this up. Read it for yourself:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=294&pgtype=dining

And this is the paragraph that caught my eye:

For lunch, Kings Court has several themed areas: The Carvery (roasted meats and contemporary British cuisine), La Piazza (Italian) and Chef's Galley (hamburgers and sandwiches). These buffets are open from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. At night, the different dining areas all get linen table cloths and decorative screens, along with waiter service, but are sadly lacking in any sort of atmosphere. One section is designated as a rotating alternative a la carte option -- American Bistro, Lotus (Asian) or Coriander (Indian) -- which comes with a $15 cover charge. However, a note of caution: As ever, when the buffet area on a ship is 'transformed' into a specialty restaurant do not expect the quality you would get in a dedicated specialty restaurant. We made the mistake of eating in Lotus one evening and although the service was superb, the cuisine was inedible: it looked (and tasted) as if it had been reheated from the buffet earlier in the day, and rearranged on our plates. Reservations are encouraged. Hours range from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m., with late snacks offered from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m.

King's Court sounds worth checking out for lunch, but for dinner with a cover charge? It doesn't sound like it from this review. Fortunately the Britannia seems to have more than adequate meals for dinner. :)

Edited by Presbycruiser

I stand corrected. But having cruised on QM2 several times I can reassure you about the quality of the a la carte Kings Court dinners. We always do one evening here on a cruise, either Lotus or Coriander.

The cover charge is more reasonable than a 'dedicated specialty restaurant' as well.

I stand corrected. But having cruised on QM2 several times I can reassure you about the quality of the a la carte Kings Court dinners. We always do one evening here on a cruise, either Lotus or Coriander.

The cover charge is more reasonable than a 'dedicated specialty restaurant' as well.

Maybe they were having a bad night ... known to happen. Thanks for the feedback. I love Indian food so Coriander might be worth checking out.