Internet in the Pacific

In just over a month, my wife & I will be taking our first (well, technically second but the first was super short) cruise on the Radiance from Vancouver to Hawaii. While we are looking forward to kick back as we traverse the Pacific, we were also hoping to share our experience with friends and family back home. While I completely understand that the internet speed on the ship will give dial-up speeds a good name from time-to-time, is the satellite coverage good across the ocean? I'd hate to purchase a package and then be unable to use it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

You will not be able to access any "satellite" signals...any internet while the ship is underway will have to be bought from the ship.

huh? Don't understand your comment

the ship gets service by satellite .....

IME, YES the Pacific has decent maritime satellite coverage. BUT higher volume markets get the newest (read fastest) first meaning you might not get AS GOOD as you might get from the newest ships operating in the prime cruise locations like the Carib'

In general, basic maritime satellite service has been worldwide since the late 80's, except in the extreme north and south latitudes. If curious, research the original INMARSAT consortium . . . INternational MARitime SATellite

The International Maritime Satellite Organization (INMARSAT) was established under the auspices of the International Maritime Organization by the Convention on the International Maritime Satellite Organization, signed at London on 3 September 1976[1] and entered into force on 16 July 1979.

Edited by Capt_BJ

huh? Don't understand your comment

the ship gets service by satellite .....

IME, YES the Pacific has decent maritime satellite coverage. BUT higher volume markets get the newest (read fastest) first meaning you might not get AS GOOD as you might get from the newest ships operating in the prime cruise locations like the Carib'

In general, basic maritime satellite service has been worldwide since the late 80's, except in the extreme north and south latitudes. If curious, research the original INMARSAT consortium . . . INternational MARitime SATellite

The International Maritime Satellite Organization (INMARSAT) was established under the auspices of the International Maritime Organization by the Convention on the International Maritime Satellite Organization, signed at London on 3 September 1976[1] and entered into force on 16 July 1979.

When you first leave the West Coast, for about a day or two, the ship's cell tower will be connected to the AOR-W (Atlantic Ocean Region-West) satellite. This satellite overlaps with the POR (Pacific Ocean Region) satellite. In this overlap area, each satellite is somewhat marginal, so service may become poor while the ship searches for the best satellite signal. You probably won't see much difference in passenger internet service, other than the fact that passenger service piggy-backs on the ship's business internet. The ship is connected 24/7 to the home office for POS, passenger accounts, maintenance, purchasing, etc, etc, and passenger internet (and crew as well) is only the bandwidth left over. Latency of the satellite signal may degrade for a day or two, but generally I've experienced no problem accessing a satellite on ships in the past.

Thanks Capt_BJ, chengkp75 & pspercy! That's what I was looking for - I completely understand that the speeds will be good for email and the really, really basic sort of stuff. And I have no issue with a little inconsistency - was just worried about forking over cash for something I couldn't use whatsoever.

cb at sea - I think you may have misunderstood my question. I was looking at purchasing the service on the ship and just wanted to make sure if I went all out that I'd at least be able to use it halfway between the mainland and Hawaii.

We have done many Pacific and Atlantic cruises and it can be hit and miss at times. Even the TV won't work to get a News stations.

We get our internet emails but sometimes it takes time to log on etc. Some areas of the ship are better than others. The Centrum area on Radiance is usually better, if you are having problems.

Downloads can take up time, so best to send photos later when in Hawaii, from a port or send them when home?

It is a great cruise, done it on Radiance as well. Enjoy your cruise.:)

A second question - if you wanted to casually stay online would you choose to spend $26CAD a day ($260 for the trip) for unlimited internet to one device or simply go with a package as needed at whatever the going rate happens to be?

In reality, I can easily find WiFi once we get to Hawaii but it's the days we're at sea that I'm more curious about...

A second question - if you wanted to casually stay online would you choose to spend $26CAD a day ($260 for the trip) for unlimited internet to one device or simply go with a package as needed at whatever the going rate happens to be?

In reality, I can easily find WiFi once we get to Hawaii but it's the days we're at sea that I'm more curious about...

The daily rates can be as much as double the per day rates when bought as a package. It depends on how many days you will be wanting to purchase it for.

Have you seen the Canadian cruisers thread. For those that have booked their cruise in CDN$ (I see you have as you are quoting CDN prices) we can purchase US$ OBC at the exchange rate of 110% through C&A or gifts and Gear. Up to $500 US per time can be bought and is charged as a charge of $550 CDN to your CDN credit card.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&page=50

Buy some US$ OBC and then buy your internet on board.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The daily rates can be as much as double the per day rates when bought as a package. It depends on how many days you will be wanting to purchase it for.

Hmmm.. we figured we'd be good with the WiFi we'll find in the different ports we visit once we get to the islands, so just those 5-ish days at sea. Will have to really think this one through.

Have you seen the Canadian cruisers thread. For those that have booked their cruise in CDN$ (I see you have as you are quoting CDN prices) we can purchase US$ OBC at the exchange rate of 110% through C&A or gifts and Gear. Up to $500 US per time can be bought and is charged as a charge of $550 CDN to your CDN credit card.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&page=50

Buy some US$ OBC and then buy your internet on board.

Yep, someone in the roll call pointed this out so my plan is to call in later today and take advantage of it! Always down to save 25-35 cents on the dollar!