Avoid the the spa on the Eclipse

Mary Parker

Avoid the spa, questionable if staff are truly qualified. I requested a sensitive facial & technician choose to ignore my request and gave me a different facial a "peel" and put facial pack on my eyes. Had to visit the doctor twice. Face red and burning, eye lid scabbed over. Unable to wear makeup or go out in the sun. Poor trained technians. RUN from the spa!!

Avoid the spa, questionable if staff are truly qualified. I requested a sensitive facial & technician choose to ignore my request and gave me a different facial a "peel" and put facial pack on my eyes. Had to visit the doctor twice. Face red and burning, eye lid scabbed over. Unable to wear makeup or go out in the sun. Poor trained technians. RUN from the spa!!

A "facial" and a "peel" are two VERY, VERY different procedures.

How did this happen?? What transpired???

After your doctor visits, did you file a complaint?

Consult an attorney before you file a complaint. S/he will do so on your behalf so that you don't inadvertantly do yourself a disservice.

The spa is an independently run company much as the art people or Apple store onboard.

This is a very serious matter. You were injured, you did not give consent, and the injury caused pain, suffering, impacted the enjoyment of the cruise and beyond etc....

"I requested A and got B" in my experience always means there are two sides to the story. A facial and a peel are very different. Why didn't the (first post!) Op say something immediately after the treatment started? Amazing to read the "attorney" replies; I guess that's the American way...

"I requested A and got B" in my experience always means there are two sides to the story. A facial and a peel are very different. Why didn't the (first post!) Op say something immediately after the treatment started? Amazing to read the "attorney" replies; I guess that's the American way...

I keep reading posts filled with everything from slight rudeness (like this) to outright hatred toward Americans, and I'm getting tired of it. Yes, I don't have to read anything on these boards, but that is not the answer. You don't need to offer that solution to me. If I even DARED to consider writing something like, "I guess that's the way they do things in The Netherlands, Australia, UK, Canada, etc." I would be, at the very least, verbally chastised.

Sorry to hijack the thread. But you already did, with the American comment, didn't you? So let's just wait and see what happened to the OP, shall we?

Thank you,

Just for those who may not know: with a peel, it is normal for your face to become red and irritated, and then to shed the top layer of skin. That's why it's called a peel. The things we women do for beauty, right? Anyway, just clarifying in case people who don't know this are assuming a higher level of injury than exists in reality.

Not saying there was no wrongdoing here, and would like more detail. Just providing context that may be lacking for some.

Edited by perditax

Just have a glance at any tipping thread and read what's said about us UK and aussie cruises.

Yikes!

Sue

Sue,

You make a very good point-I've read those threads. They're awful and I apologize for my fellow countrymen. I guess we're all stupid, all over the world! More travel should make us more tolerant. Let's go book a cruise!

Ok, I promise not to hijack this thread. Silence.

Thank you,

First, I find it remarkable that just because the OP has not posted prior, that she is doubted more by some of the responders. Posting volume has no relevancy to the veracity of the poster.

Second, the comment that she should seek legal advice being the "American way" implies there is something uniquely American and wrong with that. There are plenty of lawyers in both the UK and Australia that would advise the same. As for any of the threads on gratuities, comments are often made as to the different cultural differences and few are indictments. This particular comment was an indictment and bigotted.

Third, if a person has genuinely been harmed physically or financially through the negligence of another they should explore their options with an attorney. I assure you any competent attorney will get to the root of the matter. Then, after having all their options they can choose the right thing for them. However, complaining directly and/or posting on social media may in fact weaken any case they have and limit their options unintentionally. THat is just sound advise.

99.9% of complaints on this forum are just that, complaints. No one has breached a contract or harmed a person in any significant manner. This situation is different.

I had a message on the Equinox in June and noticed such a big difference from the previous vendor. The girl who did it was totally inexperienced and had no idea what she was doing. I paid 180 and the tip was included in the price... Thank goodness it was OBC. I will think twice before I get another one from CR...

Everyone who uses Spa services should be very clear, as to their wanted service.

A few years ago, I had a massage while onboard, and was given a hot stone massage. I hadn't requested it, and subsequently had burns in specific areas on my back. Nothing real serious...but nevertheless, it did feel uncomfortable for a day or two.

I did state my concerns to the Spa Manager. Not for compensation, but for their information only.

I still go for massages onboard, but I specifically tell the therapist what I want. I don't take that "wait and see" stance.

To the OP, I hope your issues are resolved at this point.

I know when I've made spa appointments since CR took over, they always print out a paper that has the specific treatments with my appointment details, so I can verify.

I can't remember if it was detailed enough to include pricing on it, or not though.

First, I find it remarkable that just because the OP has not posted prior, that she is doubted more by some of the responders. Posting volume has no relevancy to the veracity of the poster.

Isn't that logical to at least take a neutral stance with someone who has never posted before? It is entirely possible (not necessarily likely) that someone posts something untrue on a review / critic site be it for cruise ships, spas, hotels to increase business or decrease business for their own reasons.

As for the benefits of consulting an attorney / lawyer / solicitor - presumably on a no win no fee basis?

The eclipse is sailing out of Southampton. Likely op is English either way it does not matter.

The ops post is a warning. You sign a release form in almost all spas everywhere. So your chance of "sueing" is limited.

Advice is to get your treatments at home from people who are licensed in your area and who count on repeat business.

I believe every word of her experience. Cruise spa staff can be inexperienced and are pushed to sell, sell,sell. A peel costs more than moisturizing facial.

I hope op is doing well and that she did not have to pay for the onboard med care.

My wife and I are travelling on the Eclipse in October and she certainly has enjoyed using spas on other ships (and on dry land!). It is interesting to learn that the spa is run independently of Celebrity- is that normal. Our elder daughter is training to become a beauty therapist and may consider cruise ships. Her understanding is that she will need additional training if she decides to do so.

Notwithstanding the ownership of the spa on board, surely this should be pursued with the cruise line to the fullest extent. As for the comments about the "American way" I don't feel this is bigoted, just a comment based on the perception that America is a litigious society.

I do hope the OP is now well and I'll pass her warning on to my wife. Hopefully the cruise line will have put better controls on the spa company.

Isn't that logical to at least take a neutral stance with someone who has never posted before? It is entirely possible (not necessarily likely) that someone posts something untrue on a review / critic site be it for cruise ships, spas, hotels to increase business or decrease business for their own reasons.

As for the benefits of consulting an attorney / lawyer / solicitor - presumably on a no win no fee basis?

I understand your feeling, however it is also fair to say that the poster may not have been prompted by circumstances before now to post anything.

This would be a tort case, and most tort cases are taken on contingency. In other words, no fee unless you prevail in court or settle prior to trial.

My wife and I are travelling on the Eclipse in October and she certainly has enjoyed using spas on other ships (and on dry land!). It is interesting to learn that the spa is run independently of Celebrity- is that normal. Our elder daughter is training to become a beauty therapist and may consider cruise ships. Her understanding is that she will need additional training if she decides to do so.

Yes this is normal. Before Canyon Ranch took over the Spa, I think it was Elemis Spas who operated them.

Many of the outlets on cruise ships are operated by 3rd parties - the shops, the photographers, even shore excursions X contracts out and don't actually run them themselves.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience and can understand that you must be very upset, but I can't work out how this happened - could you please give us a a little more detail. Did you request the sensitive skin facial and were given the medical-grade peel instead? Did you get a print-out of your appointment time, detailing the treatment you would be having and at what point during the treatment did you realise you were not getting what you had ordered? What was said when the mistake was pointed out? It is essential to say something at the time as, now you are back at home, it will be difficult to prove that a particular facial has caused the skin problem, rather than any of the various make up products, cleansers, moisturisers, sunsceen, etc. that most of us use. A peel is quite an aggressive treatment and Canyon Ranch should have procedures in place to double check that is what the customer wants before putting strong chemicals on their skin. As someone with sensitive skin, it is the last thing I would want and I don't imagine any amount of financial compensation is going to make you feel better about the incident, but I hope your skin is back to normal soon.:)

Well that's the way I see it from being a member of many forums. One post members that post with quite a high profile problem are not unusual and I simply think you have to be slightly more cautious than you would with someone who has a long record of posting. As I stated not trying to have a go at the op.

Yes this is normal. Before Canyon Ranch took over the Spa, I think it was Elemis Spas who operated them.

Many of the outlets on cruise ships are operated by 3rd parties - the shops, the photographers, even shore excursions X contracts out and don't actually run them themselves.

Another 3rd party service is provided by the medical staff in the urgent care clinic, lab, etc.

My experience in the spa area is being required to sign a legal document prior to service (that lists the service booked) and lovers them from "release of responsibility" from unintended harm as a result of the treatment. I have even had to sign this for a pedicure.