Before heading back to airport

DINKinlove

This a question for Miami experts..we dont have an extremely long layover after our cruise (arrive back in Miami 8:00 am, flight 5:30 pm Miami Int.) Have a feeling we're going to be one of the last off the ship so we were thinking of heading over to the Savoy hotel for their day pass by the pool to kill some time. Being that its a Saturday but considered "off season" I have been told that traffic could be pretty heavy on the bridge and then trying to get to the airport later from SoBe might just take up most of our time..guess my question is should we just make our way to the airport after we debark or try to relax a little before the trip home?

This a question for Miami experts..we dont have an extremely long layover after our cruise (arrive back in Miami 8:00 am, flight 5:30 pm Miami Int.) Have a feeling we're going to be one of the last off the ship so we were thinking of heading over to the Savoy hotel for their day pass by the pool to kill some time. Being that its a Saturday but considered "off season" I have been told that traffic could be pretty heavy on the bridge and then trying to get to the airport later from SoBe might just take up most of our time..guess my question is should we just make our way to the airport after we debark or try to relax a little before the trip home?

Stay onboard and enjoy yourself until they throw you off. Then do customs which should move along fairly quickly and head to the airport. The Miami airport is good and has several restaurants ranging from Dunkin Doughnuts to more upscale dining.

We have already vetoed any post cruise excursions..we dont want to get on a plane for 5 hrs with sunscreen/bug spray slathered on us..its either heading to the hotel for some lunch and relaxation or heading to the airport for some lunch and staring at airport people..I just wanted to see if traffic leaving the port and traffic from sobe to airport will cut into our time where we will only get 1-2 hrs then its not worth it..ya know?

We have already vetoed any post cruise excursions..we dont want to get on a plane for 5 hrs with sunscreen/bug spray slathered on us..its either heading to the hotel for some lunch and relaxation or heading to the airport for some lunch and staring at airport people..I just wanted to see if traffic leaving the port and traffic from sobe to airport will cut into our time where we will only get 1-2 hrs then its not worth it..ya know?

There are always the lounges to shower after the airboat excursion.....that is what our plans are as our flight also is after 5:00 pm......and if you are not members of an airport lounge club.....there are some that you can pay the daily fee for....believe it is $50 per person for the day usage.....

Just another option as we have DONE the 5 hour delay in the airport at Miami - and even with free food and booze in the lounges, it is TOO long for us! So trying the ship sponsored excursion this time around.....as we have never done the airboat thing!

I could never sit in the airport all day. Usually the last call for passengers to disembark is around 10 am. Have you tried for an earlier flight home? I would do the hotel day pass, plenty of time!!

Unfortunately we're using miles and that's the flight we have to take. The airboat was actually my first pick because it sounds like a blast but my hubby was the one who pointed out the bug spray fact. I think we will be kind to the other airline passengers and spare them from the deet smell. Savoy is $25 per person day pass for pool/gym so we can use the facilities then hop on the airport city bus that afternoon. Weather will be our deciding factor I guess.

This is different, but an idea that we are doing... We are also using miles to fly home from our upcoming cruise. The times were either too early, or too many miles. So we are paying $50 to rent a car & drive to Orlando to hang out at either Downtown Disney or Disney's Boardwalk. We also did this after our last cruise Thanksgiving. It's an easy drive. We were sitting in the ESPN Club at Disney's Boardwalk before kickoff of our football game at 1pm. Ha! Just thought I'd offer another option. MCO had more/better flights for miles options than MIA or FFL.

(Obviously this assumes you could change your flight. I know with most airline's FF plans you can.)

Edited by LrgPizza

You will be off the ship way before 10 am, even if you're the last off...I would go with the day room....waiting all day, killing time, truly sucks. Having a room, with bath and pool and food...that's the way to go!

There are post cruise excursions sightseeing where you sit in bus and don't need sunscreen or bug spray. So keep that in mind if your plans for Savoy don't work.

This is different, but an idea that we are doing... We are also using miles to fly home from our upcoming cruise. The times were either too early, or too many miles. So we are paying $50 to rent a car & drive to Orlando to hang out at either Downtown Disney or Disney's Boardwalk. We also did this after our last cruise Thanksgiving. It's an easy drive. We were sitting in the ESPN Club at Disney's Boardwalk before kickoff of our football game at 1pm. Ha! Just thought I'd offer another option. MCO had more/better flights for miles options than MIA or FFL.

(Obviously this assumes you could change your flight. I know with most airline's FF plans you can.)

I like your plan!

30 minute drive from South Beach to the airport on a Saturday at the most.

last time we were in Miami we were caught in terrible traffic leaving south beach . It took us 90 minutes to get from south beach to Bayside on Saturday afternoon . Just make sure you allow plenty of time .

last time we were in Miami we were caught in terrible traffic leaving south beach . It took us 90 minutes to get from south beach to Bayside on Saturday afternoon . Just make sure you allow plenty of time .

This is why I started this whole question!!! I wanted to get this kind of info. I've been told that the traffic could be hectic so I wanted opinions from Miami point of view. I am from So Cal where you leave an hour early for anything if you want to make it on time because we have traffic at all hours of the day!! Lol

MIA Airport is a zoo on cruise days (Sat and Sun). The TSA security lines are so long. Expect long walk to gate.

Each time we disembark in Miami, we stay on ship as long as we can, and take a cab (long queue also for cabs! But it moves fast) to MIA - fixed price.

A bit of a queue to check in (remember we do not use internet at all on ship) and then there's the usual TSA line. Then we are in terminal, walking leisurely looking in shops and having lunch in one of many restaurants there (we have a couple or so favourites, and it depends on the proximity of the gate our flight departs from).

Twice we went to MIA airport hotel (after checking in and getting rid of luggage) to the top floor restaurant for a leisurely lunch.

Our flight home has been between 4:30 to 6:30 pm each time.

We would not go west to South Beach and then get stuck in traffic going to airport later and get ourselves stressed out.

Edited by bluesea777

MIA Airport is a zoo on cruise days (Sat and Sun). The TSA security lines are so long. Expect long walk to gate.

Each time we disembark in Miami, we stay on ship as long as we can, and take a cab (long queue also for cabs! But it moves fast) to MIA - fixed price.

A bit of a queue to check in (remember we do not use internet at all on ship) and then there's the usual TSA line. Then we are in terminal, walking leisurely looking in shops and having lunch in one of many restaurants there (we have a couple or so favourites, and it depends on the proximity of the gate our flight departs from).

Twice we went to MIA airport hotel (after checking in and getting rid of luggage) to the top floor restaurant for a leisurely lunch.

Our flight home has been between 4:30 to 6:30 pm each time.

We would not go west to South Beach and then get stuck in traffic going to airport later and get ourselves stressed out.

Thank you thank you..very helpful..will definitely take this into consideration!

Stay onboard and enjoy yourself until they throw you off. Then do customs which should move along fairly quickly and head to the airport. The Miami airport is good and has several restaurants ranging from Dunkin Doughnuts to more upscale dining.

Must disagree.

Had to fly through MIA lots for work.

Completely uninspired aeroport. Dunkin Donuts really is a highlight, enough said.

Found it to be a cesspool of disease: I swear I couldn't get from the Jetwalk through customs at Terminal E without catching a virus.

Thank you thank you..very helpful..will definitely take this into consideration!

You're welcome! Hopefully you're flying AA because we are - hence my suggestions - Terminal D.

JUST TODAY ... we received a dreaded email from AA telling us our flight has been changed from 5:00pm to 6:15 pm. @#$%^&!!

LOL - 'tis life!