Crown Princess Balcony specific question

tensixmom

Sorry if this has been addressed... not sure exactly how to ask this to make clear what I want to know!

I have seen a few photos of the balcony configuration on either side of the ship. It appears that on the lower decks with balconies, the balconies "stick out" farther so that the next level above them looks down into them. Farther up, it appears the balconies are all "even," if that makes sense.

If this is the case, does anyone know the deck level with the lowest balcony that is still "even" with the ones above it? I want a balcony, but I don't want people looking down on me from THEIR balconies, if that makes sense??

Thanks, experts!

On Crown- If you want a mini suite with a private balcony the minis on Emerald are completely covered.

Regular balcony cabins on Caribe are larger and are half covered/ half exposed so you can enjoy either sunshine or shade depending on desire. They also afford privacy since you can pull your chairs under covered area.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I have just a balcony room, not any kind of suite. Currently booked on the Baja deck and just want to confirm (if possible) that I don't "stick out" farther than the decks above me!

Thanks!

On Crown- If you want a mini suite with a private balcony the minis on Emerald are completely covered.

Regular balcony cabins on Caribe are larger and are half covered/ half exposed so you can enjoy either sunshine or shade depending on desire. They also afford privacy since you can pull your chairs under covered area.

Yes go for caribe deck balconies are almost twice the size (we booked our first one by accident but will always try for now) and if you want privacy or shelter you can get it.

Baja & Aloha decks are also covered.

Thank you!

Yes go for caribe deck balconies are almost twice the size (we booked our first one by accident but will always try for now) and if you want privacy or shelter you can get it.

Good to know, perhaps I will change it. Thank you!

Sorry if this has been addressed... not sure exactly how to ask this to make clear what I want to know!

I have seen a few photos of the balcony configuration on either side of the ship. It appears that on the lower decks with balconies, the balconies "stick out" farther so that the next level above them looks down into them. Farther up, it appears the balconies are all "even," if that makes sense.

If this is the case, does anyone know the deck level with the lowest balcony that is still "even" with the ones above it? I want a balcony, but I don't want people looking down on me from THEIR balconies, if that makes sense??

Thanks, experts!

Baja is the lowest deck that is even with the others.

Jim

Honest, I have yet to look from my balcony and seen oodles of other people straining to look at what is happening at the balconies below them.

In fact, I usually do not see even one other person doing so.

I would not worry about picking a balcony that nobody can see you on, especially since the bridge can see onto almost every balcony, either directly or with the videocams positioned on the outside of the ship.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I have just a balcony room, not any kind of suite. Currently booked on the Baja deck and just want to confirm (if possible) that I don't "stick out" farther than the decks above me!

Thanks!

Then Baja/Aloha as mentioned. They do not stick out.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thank you!

Good to know, perhaps I will change it. Thank you!

Caribe are half covered so they stick out 1/2 way but as mentioned you can retreat back to the covered area. They are the biggest reg balconies and a tad larger then the mini suite balconies.

Caribe are half covered so they stick out 1/2 way but as mentioned you can retreat back to the covered area. They are the biggest reg balconies and a tad larger then the mini suite balconies.

Thank you! I changed to the Caribe deck. I like the idea of having a choice whether to be covered or not!

This may be a bit late to the party, but here's a link to a post I did in my blog about balcony size, shade & exposure on a couple of P&O ships, Ventura & Azura. Those are sister-ships to Crown, Emerald and Ruby, and I think the content is generally applicable to the all of the Grand Princess-class ships, except for the fact that some of them have one less deck.

Keith,

If you check the SQ FT..they are almost twice the size of all other balcony rooms.

Keith,

If you check the SQ FT..they are almost twice the size of all other balcony rooms.

Standard balconies are 9'x5'; Caribe balconies are 9'x9'. The covered area on a Caribe balcony is the same as a standard balcony so it's more than half covered.

We had our cabin booked for a balcony room. That's all I cared about and when we were told we got cabin C502 we were excited because others told us the balconies are great there. We were also located mid ship. I just got an email saying they upgraded us to the Dolphin deck to a mini suite. I looked and it's pretty much at the front of the ship. What kind of balcony will we have on the dolphin deck? And why do they upgrade people?

We had our cabin booked for a balcony room. That's all I cared about and when we were told we got cabin C502 we were excited because others told us the balconies are great there. We were also located mid ship. I just got an email saying they upgraded us to the Dolphin deck to a mini suite. I looked and it's pretty much at the front of the ship. What kind of balcony will we have on the dolphin deck? And why do they upgrade people?

You don't say which ship you're on, so anyone trying to answer is at a disadvantage. In a Grand class ship, Caribe balconies are bigger than other regular balconies, so C502 is a good cabin. If you got upgraded to a Dolphin mini, you'll get a 9 by 7 balcony instead of 9 by 9, but you'll get a sofa, a bigger bathroom and a bigger room.

The Dolphin mini suite, again assuming you're talking about a Grand class ship, will be uncovered and completely open to sun, rain, stars and others' eyes. Still, I'd take over a Dolphin mini, because I like size and a sofa.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Sorry I should have mentioned, we are sailing on the Crown Princess, in Alaska. Weather next week looks pretty wet so I think I would prefer a partially covered balcony. I am OK with a smaller room, I don't plan on spending too much time in it. I just don't want to sit out on the balcony watching the scenery with no protection, or even partial protection, from the rain. Thank you for the quick answer

That is one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Thanks, experts!

Always keep in mind that if you can look down and see me, I can look up and see you. ;)

You don't say which ship you're on, so anyone trying to answer is at a disadvantage. In a Grand class ship, Caribe balconies are bigger than other regular balconies, so C502 is a good cabin. If you got upgraded to a Dolphin mini, you'll get a 9 by 7 balcony instead of 9 by 9, but you'll get a sofa, a bigger bathroom and a bigger room.

The Dolphin mini suite, again assuming you're talking about a Grand class ship, will be uncovered and completely open to sun, rain, stars and others' eyes. Still, I'd take over a Dolphin mini, because I like size and a sofa.

Jim

Actually, she did: it's clearly identified as the Crown in the thread title.

To the OP, I was going to answer your question, but it seems like several other helpful people beat me to it. Hope you have a great time. The Caribe Deck balconies are wonderful, and Alaska is amazing! :D

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

And why do they upgrade people?

First of all, when you book a cruise, the agent is supposed to ask you if you are willing to accept an upgrade. (Often the question is "Would you like to be eligible for an upgrade?") If you are not asked, likely the agent marked the booking that you were willing to accept an upgrade, either not knowing of this option or thinking they are doing you a favor.

If your cabin is marked that you will accept an upgrade, Princess does not have to check with you before making the change.

Princess will upgrade a booking for a variety of reasons:

o To be nice. In your case they upgraded you to a different type of cabin. This is called a "meta upgrade." (You could also have your booking marked that you would accept a meta upgrade only.) Sometimes the upgrade is just to another cabin in the same type cabin you had booked.

o In trying to sell all the cabins, Princess computers figure they have a better chance of selling your old cabin than the new one.

o Someone needs two adjacent cabins, so they will upgrade you to make that cabin available.

o Someone really wants to book a cabin of the type and location you have, so to make that booking, you get upgraded.

o etc.

Only the Upgrade Fairy knows which applied in your case.

1421258669_upgradefairy.jpg.b20236239c5d5b7d8b0f977726e4c734.jpg