Recent Cruiser Question - bottled water

I'm cruising with a small group of experienced cruisers. We all are curious if there has been a crackdown on this....We've always brought on a small amount of bottled water/diet coke. Recently we've purchased the soda card, and we enjoy that for our diet coke, however I prefer to have a bottle of water on my nightstand since I get parched overnight. I also don't care to drink Dasani out of my big soda cup.

My question is, if you've cruised in the last 90 days, were you able to walk on with a 6 pack or 12 pack of water in your carry-on bag or tote without any issue?

Thanks in advance!

I just came off Liberty of the Seas on Saturday (August 8, 2015). I brought 4 bottles of water with me and had them in my checked luggage. There were no problems at all. There was also a small refrigerator in the cabin that kept them cold. I just took out the Evian bottles provided by RCI and put my own bottles in.

Edited by Teacher246

May I ask when your last cruise was where you were able to do this with no issue? Thanks in advance!

I saw people bring it on Freedom last May. The center bottles with the vodka made it too.

I'm cruising with a small group of experienced cruisers. We all are curious if there has been a crackdown on this....We've always brought on a small amount of bottled water/diet coke. Recently we've purchased the soda card, and we enjoy that for our diet coke, however I prefer to have a bottle of water on my nightstand since I get parched overnight. I also don't care to drink Dasani out of my big soda cup.

My question is, if you've cruised in the last 90 days, were you able to walk on with a 6 pack or 12 pack of water in your carry-on bag or tote without any issue?

Thanks in advance!

Cruised on Liberty in June out of Port Liberty and had no problems.

Edited by cruisenfever

We sailed Freedom in Feb. You could not check a case of water or soda but you could put it in your checked luggage without a problem. The porters were the ones who told us this as we checked in. They also told us we were not allowed to check wine but could hand carry (in a non checked bag) They said this is enforced as they have lots of issues with bottles breaking and ruining other persons luggage.

-Sean

Liberty, Port Everglades, March 2015. Trying again today, will post later.

Have a great cruise, Bob.

I'm just off Freedom and saw folks bringing bottles water, but the luggage porters had them carry it on. If it was in luggage, I don't think it would have been an issue.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I'm a but curious about the need for bottled water. I don't recall the tap water on the ships tasting bad at all. Are people bringing bottled water just for the convenience of it? And with a drink package, can't you get bottled water on board?

I'm a but curious about the need for bottled water. I don't recall the tap water on the ships tasting bad at all. Are people bringing bottled water just for the convenience of it? And with a drink package, can't you get bottled water on board?

Societal influence? We love to buy bottled water. The ship's tap water is at least as purified as the bottled stuff. I bring a water bottle to fill onboard and save the hassle and expense.

Some drink packages include bottled water as an option.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I sailed last week on the Adventure and brought two 15 packs of water with me and checked them with no problem. I also brought a 10 pack of coke and a 10 pack of sprite, but I carried those on in a shopping bag. We drank all the water and it was useful to have when getting off the ship and going to the beach. We left behind the majority of the soda because we were too busy drinking water to ever get to the soda. Next time I'll skip the soda and bring a third pack of water with me. Sun makes you thirsty!!

OP here....I like the ship's ice water with meals. My husband and I began purchasing the soda card 3 cruises ago. When we go to the cabin at night, we typically use the soda cups provided to take a Diet Coke back to the room to drink before bedtime. With this package you only get the Dasani water out of the freestyle Coke machines - so you would have to use the cup that's already in use for my Diet Coke. I am not a fan of reusing water bottles. Based on what I am hearing, it sounds like I should still be able to take on a 6 or 12 pack of water in a tote bag if I chose to carry it on. Thanks for the responses!

Because if you cruise enough you will run across ships water that tastes like bleach!

Have a great cruise, Bob.

I'm just off Freedom and saw folks bringing bottles water, but the luggage porters had them carry it on. If it was in luggage, I don't think it would have been an issue.

Thanks!

Porters at Port Canaveral, terminal 1, took our case of water in a suitcase without batting an eye. Now the question is how long until we see that suitcase.

Because if you cruise enough you will run across ships water that tastes like bleach!

Hmm, I've not experienced that, but many years ago, I used to have a sailboat. I did pour a measured amount of bleach in the potable water tank in order to keep it clean. I would notice a faint bleach smell when first running the water after several weeks of sitting. I guess I'm just not so particular about my water. Even the water in our condo in Florida is fine with me (most people hate the sulfur taste of it).

My wife's ankles swell up if she drinks the ship's tap water.

We brought bottles water because we had an island stop every day (except one) and needed to take it with us to the beach to stay hydrated. Buying bottled water on the ship or in ports would have cost us close to $4/bottle, but we bought an entire case for just $5. We drank some of our water on the ship, but when we had meals we drank the water they served us from the ship ad it tastes just fine. Bringing bottled water is good even if you drink ship water because you need to stay hydrated at the beach, and it's cheaper than buying it when you're there. We drank 30 bottles of water for $10, it would have cost around $100 if we hadn't brought our own. If you don't mind paying $100 for water, then by all means...