When did things change?

PoppyandNana

On our first cruise, during the last century, tables were set with so much silverware that you started from the outer to the inner setting. Or when you had fish it was deboned table side by a white gloved waiter. Doorman in uniforms on the "old" Westerdam to the rear pool(only pool). There were formal nights and every other night we wore a jacket to diner and didn't change.

Oh how things have changed!!

Hal

hello Folks

You may like to read "Tramps and Ladies"

https://archive.org/stream/trampsandladies006561mbp#page/n17/mode/2up

By Sir James Bisset who was a former commodore of the Cunard line and participated in the rescue of the Titanic passengers whilst serving on board the Carpathia

Some very nice detail in his book

regards

John

Thanks. If anyone has a Nook it's available from Barnes & Noble - FREE. I just downloaded it.

I remember on my first cruises that drinks were $1.50 and there was a midnight buffet.

A midnight buffet is not what I need. I try not to gain weight on a cruise by going to the fitness center.

When drinks were $1.50, cokes were probably 25 cents and a new car was $6000.

Our first cruise ever was on the Statendam in 1975 (or 1976) memory has faded a bit).. All nights were formal, (I rented a tux and 2 shirts). Cabin had upper and lower berths, upper was a fold out with a small ladder to access. GREAT midnight buffet, but a lot of waste!

I recall dozens of black plastic garbage bags floating behind the ship at dusk. Just dumped! Crew said the fish would eat everything!

We saved all the menus of the wonderful dining room meals.

So true about the berths & garage bags ...our first cruise was our Honeymoon 1983..

How about the pax being the entertainment......

I still have streamers from the 70's when my parents were cruising.....My Mom always brought some back for me.

Edited by land lover

A midnight buffet is not what I need. I try not to gain weight on a cruise by going to the fitness center.

When drinks were $1.50, cokes were probably 25 cents and a new car was $6000.

Even in the old days when we went to the midnight buffet we only walked the line and looked. We figured, what a waste of food. We didn't eat that late. We were still full from dinner. :)

We found a lot of the stuff from the night before on the buffet the next day.

Edited by ChucktownSteve