Celebrity wi-fi or AT&T Cruise Ship data plan?

Beachdays002

The plan through the cellular carrier is exorbitantly priced and does not use the ship's Wi-Fi, instead using a (slooooooooooooow) satellite relay to get your data back to the Internet. The ship's Wi-Fi is almost certainly a better deal and will perform better.

This link will take you to ATT's rates - http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

Data is part of a package that starts at $120 for 100 Meg data, 100 text messages and 50 minutes voice.

As others have said the speed is substantially slower than the Ship's internet. A 100 meg is not much if one of your friends sends you a email with an attached picture.

The ATT international data plan INCLUDE's Celebrity ships...it's $25 for 100 mb

It's good, but the data is slow to non existent. I'm Elite + so I get four hours of free wifi. I use both, either or depending on data speed. Sometimes cell data is cheaper and faster.

The ATT international data plan INCLUDE's Celebrity ships...it's $25 for 100 mb

It's good, but the data is slow to non existent. I'm Elite + so I get four hours of free wifi. I use both, either or depending on data speed. Sometimes cell data is cheaper and faster.

No, it doesn't. Cruise ships are separate. Look at the link posted above; the only international package with cruise data is $120 for 100 MB.

To everyone worried about these charges, put your phone in airplane mode, then turn wi-fi back on. You can't be billed for cellular use if you have the cellular part of the phone turned off (which is what airplane mode does.)

We are Elite+ so get 4 hours internet each. On my last cruise I would logon on and download my mail and browse Google News opening up stories I wanted to read later in separate sessions. It surprised me that by the end of the cruise I had only used about 2 1/2 hours so had plenty of left over minutes.

I get quite a number of e-mails so I usually wait to respond to them until I am off-line and then sync when I log on the next time. I'm thinking about signing up for the unlimited internet on my October TA. I'll admit it, I am addicted to the internet and I think it would really be enjoyable to access the internet on demand. I will wait to see how strong the signal is in our stateroom before making the decision. We are in a Signature suite, so am anticipating a strong signal but will see. A program called inSSIDer is great to show signal strength.

One thing to keep in mind with the ATT Service at sea that 100 meg will be exhausted extremely quickly.

We have a business, so we do need to keep in touch. We will be on the Summit. I was hoping to use Celebrity wifi, so could take shore excursions and not have to look for wifi. Now I'm thinking we may need to purchase both. AT&T's plan is expensive.