Breakaway Suite - What do you need to book in advance?

Glenaudrey

Hello everyone, my wife and I have booked a cruise for our 20th anniversary in November, but are real novices at this having only been on one cruise previously a decade ago for our 10th.

I would really appreciate some advise on what absolutely needs to be reserved in advance as far as shows, dining, etc. on the Breakaway. We were told by the agent who booked our cruise that we could wait until on the ship to book anything as we are in a Haven suite and the concierge will make sure we get in for anything we want. However, while scanning these forums, it appears things do book up quickly.

We would obviously prefer the flexibility of deciding while on the ship, but do not want to get shut out either.

If it's not too much trouble, for those who've had similar reservations on the Breakaway, please let us know what we HAVE to or should book in advance as far as specialty restaurants, shows, excursions, Spa passes, etc. if we hope not to get shut out or stuck with times we don't want.

Greatly appreciated,

Glenn

PS.... also when booking online, how do you apply UDP discounts to dining at the Cirque or applying excursion credits when booking? Thank you everybody.

I book everything I can in advance. Once onboard you can change the times if you need to.

You don't want to risk not getting into the restaurant or show you want to enjoy.

Happy Anniversary :)

I agree with this. Book in advance if it is something you want.

We had a Haven suite on Breakaway last November, and on a couple of occasions asked the concierge to help with reservations. Not once did he accomplish anything for the same night if we had decided that day. We already had most days planned, but on a couple of occasions nothing really struck us on any of the included menus. Asked for any time in Cagne's, or Le Bistro and was not able to accomplish.

The only thing they basically did was repeat what I had been told when I asked directly. While I have no problem with that, I do have a problem with being given the expectation that the concierge can get you into a "booked" place. This implies that slots are held for that reason, but obviously are not.

Loved the Butler service for morning breakfast, Haven staff was wonderful. Concierge didn't do much for us. Others raved about them.

Whatever you decide you will have a fantastic time on the ship and in the Haven. Happy 20th Anniversary.

19 days and we will be in the Haven for our 15th. We'll see of we use the concierge more this time.

Shore excursion credits can be used to book prior to boarding BUT you must call the SHOREX number to have them book and apply credits...you can also wait to book on board but if there is a particular popular excursion you really want, you should book now. Make sense?

The only thing they basically did was repeat what I had been told when I asked directly. While I have no problem with that, I do have a problem with being given the expectation that the concierge can get you into a "booked" place. This implies that slots are held for that reason, but obviously are not.

Some slots might be hold but if too many suiteguests wants them, it might not be enough.

Lots of people have the specialty restaurants included now so it's harder to get a table.

If there is a restaurant or 5 you really want to eat in go ahead and make those reservations. Being in Haven you can book at 100 days out so you do get first choice. Cagneys, Le bistro and Teppenakki are the most popular so I would book those for sure if they appeal to you and your wife. Especially if you want say a 6:30 or 7 dinning time.

They will not charge you for any reservations...not sure about cirque but betting they will just charge you the upcharge.

The concierge should get you any show reservations you need. There is a roped off area for Haven guests to seat it has always been on the left side of the theater. They open it up about 10 min before the show.

If you want any in room dinning your Butler will take care of that for you.

If you want to do the Chiefs table you should contact the pre cruise concierge to get that reserved.

Spa passes are also available to pre book a great idea so one less thing you need to think about.

Happy Anniversery

I agree with this. Book in advance if it is something you want.

We had a Haven suite on Breakaway last November, and on a couple of occasions asked the concierge to help with reservations. Not once did he accomplish anything for the same night if we had decided that day.

We were also in a suite on the Breakaway last November. We never planned ahead. Always the same day. The concierge asked us to let him know as early as possible. The only problem was Teppanyaki, otherwise never a problem.

If there is a restaurant or 5 you really want to eat in go ahead and make those reservations. Being in Haven you can book at 100 days out so you do get first choice. Cagneys, Le bistro and Teppenakki are the most popular so I would book those for sure if they appeal to you and your wife. Especially if you want say a 6:30 or 7 dinning time.

They will not charge you for any reservations...not sure about cirque but betting they will just charge you the upcharge.

The concierge should get you any show reservations you need. There is a roped off area for Haven guests to seat it has always been on the left side of the theater. They open it up about 10 min before the show.

If you want any in room dinning your Butler will take care of that for you.

If you want to do the Chiefs table you should contact the pre cruise concierge to get that reserved.

Spa passes are also available to pre book a great idea so one less thing you need to think about.

Happy Anniversery

Chef's Table cannot be pre booked by anyone including the pre concierge. All they can do is tell the on board concierge and see what can be done when you check in.

We were also in a suite on the Breakaway last November. We never planned ahead. Always the same day. The concierge asked us to let him know as early as possible. The only problem was Teppanyaki, otherwise never a problem.

This used to be the way it was for us too. Loved that aspect of being in a suite. Now that everyone has the UDP or SDP, it's very different. I approached the Concierge to book the first day and they had nothing, so we thought we should book for the week, and were stuck with before 6:30 or after 9:00 all week.

Now we plan, which totally goes against Freestyle dining. Who knows what I'll feel like on that day, but now we're stuck.

This used to be the way it was for us too. Loved that aspect of being in a suite. Now that everyone has the UDP or SDP, it's very different. I approached the Concierge to book the first day and they had nothing, so we thought we should book for the week, and were stuck with before 6:30 or after 9:00 all week.

Now we plan, which totally goes against Freestyle dining. Who knows what I'll feel like on that day, but now we're stuck.

Wow, we're not going to like that. That defeats the idea of Freestyle. Dinner reservations was about all we used the concierge for. Other than embarkation and debarkation. I would imagine the concierges would also not be too happy, it must effect their bottom line.

Like I said it wasn't a big deal other than they weren't able to do anything that I couldn't do myself from the iConcierge app. I had heard they could but it did not work out for us. We had a great trip without that and no complaints about the food we ate. My reason posting is more if they have a specific restaurant they want, they would be better of booking now and not risk it not being available. Of course since they are in the Haven they could just order it to the suite if no tables are available.

Hello everyone, my wife and I have booked a cruise for our 20th anniversary in November, but are real novices at this having only been on one cruise previously a decade ago for our 10th.

I would really appreciate some advise on what absolutely needs to be reserved in advance as far as shows, dining, etc. on the Breakaway. We were told by the agent who booked our cruise that we could wait until on the ship to book anything as we are in a Haven suite and the concierge will make sure we get in for anything we want. However, while scanning these forums, it appears things do book up quickly.

We would obviously prefer the flexibility of deciding while on the ship, but do not want to get shut out either.

If it's not too much trouble, for those who've had similar reservations on the Breakaway, please let us know what we HAVE to or should book in advance as far as specialty restaurants, shows, excursions, Spa passes, etc. if we hope not to get shut out or stuck with times we don't want.

Greatly appreciated,

Glenn

PS.... also when booking online, how do you apply UDP discounts to dining at the Cirque or applying excursion credits when booking? Thank you everybody.

Take it from my experience.........if you want something done right......book it yourself.

Like I said it wasn't a big deal other than they weren't able to do anything that I couldn't do myself from the iConcierge app. I had heard they could but it did not work out for us. We had a great trip without that and no complaints about the food we ate. My reason posting is more if they have a specific restaurant they want, they would be better of booking now and not risk it not being available. Of course since they are in the Haven they could just order it to the suite if no tables are available.

I concur. . . Getting it in suite is a good option for most restaurants.

One of the things I've been doing, preparatory to our first Haven sailing, is trying to review as many dailies as possible, for similar cruises as mine ( 7 day jewel class, with a balanced mix of port and sea days) so that I can make a best guess as to what time, etc. I will most likely want to dine each day -- and for us which meals will be family and which will be "date". Then when I get to 100 days out, I will make my reservations for each night, and hopefully not need to change them.

I'm not big into the shows -- although I do like comedians, and we will want to see the Cirque performance, so want to book dining around those shows if possible. Don't know if there will even be a comedian, but if there is, that might be one night we switch dining times if possible.

Hey Glen,,It's Fred from your roll call.

I just made my final payment the other day and I was allowed to reserve burn the floor for nov 16th at 9:30 and rock of ages nov 17th at 9:30

Hey Fred, we booked the same nights and the same times. We'll see you there!

And to everyone else who responded, thanks for all the feedback. It was a great help. And because of the feedback, today I ended up booking the two shows I mentioned above as well as dinner each night from the 2nd night through the last (figured we'd eat in the Haven restaurant the 1st night).

Just in case anyone's interested, we went with Cagney's 3 nights (yes, we're steak lovers, though we did ask that a note be placed that one of the reservations be changed to Ocean Blue once on board), and one night each at Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, and Moderno's. We heard the Italian restaurant's not so great, so we passed on that.

That only leaves deciding if we want to do the Cirque, get Spa passes, and to book any excursions we decide upon. Since all those come with an extra cost (we have the UDP so the other restaurants are covered), we figure we have a little more time to decide.

It's comforting now knowing we'll have something set each night and won't be shut out. I'll admit though, I was hoping to have a little more freedom/flexibility to decide on all where/when we eat or see a show while on the boat each day. A little disappointing, but if that's our biggest issue in regards to this trip of a lifetime we're looking forward to, it'll truly be a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks again everyone.

I don't want to be stuck. I'm really thinking of taking my chances and winging it. It's my first NCL cruise so I really have no idea what this trip will bring as what we will do day by day.:( I might really test this freestyle and newbie concept!!:eek:

Edited by Debde

We were on Breakaway in a Haven Suite in April. The concierge could not get us the reservation we wanted on several nights, so we had to be flexible. I agree the problem is the number of passengers with UDP. Every place is full! So best to book something ahead of time, you can always change it later if necessary. Happy Anniversary!