Parking

Victoria '82

We found that parking at Southampton was really expensive (Circa £140 for 14 night) and that the parking attendents tended to play with the controls in the car We now go down the day before and stay in The New Place hotel in Soton. It costs £199 but for that you get dinner bed and breakfast, parking on site for 14 nights and taxi to and from port.

The food at new Place is fabulous.

Thats quite a distance from the port. We wouldnt want to have to get a taxi from the ship that far then start our journey home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats quite a distance from the port. We wouldnt want to have to get a taxi from the ship that far then start our journey home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The taxi fare is included in the cost of the hotel and the taxi driver does all the humping and dumping of luggage. Distance to/from the boat is immaterial as the taxi driver does the driving. On return after the cruise ,you just ring the taxi firm and they tell you the reg. number of the taxi and approx arrival time

We found that parking at Southampton was really expensive (Circa £140 for 14 night) and that the parking attendents tended to play with the controls in the car We now go down the day before and stay in The New Place hotel in Soton. It costs £199 but for that you get dinner bed and breakfast, parking on site for 14 nights and taxi to and from port.

The food at new Place is fabulous.

Another vote for New Place. Just booked the package for our cruise in October. Parking for up to 30days is included in the price.

The contractual agreement stated in my insurance IS my insurer's opinion.:confused: And they all vary; that's why saying "what a load of tosh" was rather unwise.

The point I was making is that if you telephone your insurers directly and speak to someone they quite often express an opinion which is not always consistent with the precise details of the agreement. The obvious reason you might telephone is because you do not understand the long winded legal expressions they often use in the written agreement. More often than not these days staff tend to be trained to give a bland answer to questions by saying "It's all detailed in the insurance documents". In this way they avoid expressing an opinion. Even a simple question might get this response or alternatively a standard response with so many riders in it nothing tangible has been said.

I have never "what a load of tosh" in relation to this parking issue.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

You may well be right. However, that matters not one iota; the only opinion worth having is that of one's car insurer.

I contacted my insurer (quotemehappy.com) and posed the question to them and they kindly replied back to me within an hour. I gave them the complete scenario so that there was no grey area. I have copy and pasted their reply below: -

Thanks for getting in touch.

As this is only a temporary change to where your car is going to be parked, we have no problem with this and your cover will continue to run as normal.

Please note that if you ever start keeping your car at a different address permanently, then this address would need to be changed over on your policy.

I hope this helps, if you need anything else please let us know.

Thank you

I appreciate that not all insurance companies are the same but would suggest that most are very similar, and my one is one of the large companies. It took one hour to get the reply back so I'm sure that anyone can take the issue up with their own company should they feel the need.

I contacted my insurer (quotemehappy.com) and posed the question to them and they kindly replied back to me within an hour. I gave them the complete scenario so that there was no grey area. I have copy and pasted their reply below: -

Thanks for getting in touch.

As this is only a temporary change to where your car is going to be parked, we have no problem with this and your cover will continue to run as normal.

Please note that if you ever start keeping your car at a different address permanently, then this address would need to be changed over on your policy.

I hope this helps, if you need anything else please let us know.

Thank you

I appreciate that not all insurance companies are the same but would suggest that most are very similar, and my one is one of the large companies. It took one hour to get the reply back so I'm sure that anyone can take the issue up with their own company should they feel the need.

I am surprised you felt the need to contact your insurer given your previous comment;

"As for insurance? What a load of tosh. You are keeping your car off road which is better for insurance."

To suggest that that most insurers are similar is incorrect, there is much variation in policy wordings and the size of the company means nothing in respect of this matter.

I originally commented that it is best to check with your insurer, I am pleased you did.

I am surprised you felt the need to contact your insurer given your previous comment;

"As for insurance? What a load of tosh. You are keeping your car off road which is better for insurance."

To suggest that that most insurers are similar is incorrect, there is much variation in policy wordings and the size of the company means nothing in respect of this matter.

I originally commented that it is best to check with your insurer, I am pleased you did.

Well said, Somerset Cruiser, and well done for commenting again. I'd given up!

I was just trying to be helpful by showing that some people post without checking their facts. I checked mine and confirmed that people were posting tosh.

Wrong! You checked your insurer and discovered you were covered.

Making assumptions about other insurers, and there are quite a few, then being a little impolite to others who know a bit about insurance, would seem less than helpful...