Parking

Victoria '82

I heard that some Southampton home owners offer parking on their drive, for a fee, while the car owner is off on a cruise. Any comments and suggestions along with possible costs would be appreciated. Also transfers to the terminal - taxi ?

Hi Victoria, if you decide to do this I would recommend booking a taxi well in advance. We used to park on a relatives drive in the Romsey area and found it more difficult than anticipated to phone for a taxi on the day. We live in a large city where this is taken for granted. Maybe we just had some bad luck but I thought it was a useful tip.

Edited by Florry

I heard that some Southampton home owners offer parking on their drive' date=' for a fee, while the car owner is off on a cruise. Any comments and suggestions along with possible costs would be appreciated. Also transfers to the terminal - taxi ?[/quote']

Some posters always use it, others have queried how things would stand insurance wise.

We've done this twice so far. Both off road parking, one was covered by cctv. Phoned for a taxi only when we got there and each time it arrived within 5 minutes. Taxi cost £6 each way.

The website address above is different now, it is now called http://www.justpark.com .

As for insurance? What a load of tosh. You are keeping your car off road which is better for insurance.

We've done this twice so far. Both off road parking, one was covered by cctv. Phoned for a taxi only when we got there and each time it arrived within 5 minutes. Taxi cost £6 each way.

The website address above is different now, it is now called http://www.justpark.com .

As for insurance? What a load of tosh. You are keeping your car off road which is better for insurance.

When the insurance has been raised before it was along the lines of damage to the car, car getting stolen etc.

Damage, you claim on your insurance, and where was it...not on the road, just on some random persons drive.

We do not drive to Southampton so it worries me not one iota.

These were the sort of things that were raised, when this has come up in the past.

Some people felt saving some money on this was not worth it if other problems came up. As I said not me, other people.

http://www.parking4cruises.co.uk/

I think these are the people we have used in the past. Cheaper than cps.

You may well be right. However, that matters not one iota; the only opinion worth having is that of one's car insurer.

You may well be right. However, that matters not one iota; the only opinion worth having is that of one's car insurer.

Correct and its always worth a quick phone call to allay fears. We al know that insurance companies find any little thing to avoid paying out so better being safe than sorry than just assuming without knowing the facts.

We factor in the official parking when costing our cruise, as a proportion of the cruise cost its relatively low. For us nothing beats the convenience and piece of mind of using CPS (P&O) or ABP (Royal/Celebrity) and on return you can be off the ship and in your car in just minutes.

We factor in the official parking when costing our cruise, as a proportion of the cruise cost its relatively low. For us nothing beats the convenience and piece of mind of using CPS (P&O) or ABP (Royal/Celebrity) and on return you can be off the ship and in your car in just minutes.

Agree with convenience of ABP, but will not be using CPS again. The CPS system of driving your car away is just not workable with a ship the size of Britannia - it leads to long queues so you mayaswell park off site and be bussed in. We were also accused by a CPS worker of queue jumping ( which we hadn't). This left a really bad taste in the mouth - so certainly would not recommend!

Agree with convenience of ABP, but will not be using CPS again. The CPS system of driving your car away is just not workable with a ship the size of Britannia - it leads to long queues so you mayaswell park off site and be bussed in. We were also accused by a CPS worker of queue jumping ( which we hadn't). This left a really bad taste in the mouth - so certainly would not recommend!

Yes CPS have to funnell and control the arrivals. We have always arrived as one of the first so not experienced any delays. ABP is convenient though dependant on the car park allocated can involved a few minutes walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always use Parking4cruises they are cheaper just as more efficient and as easy if not easier than CPS. When parking with them you drop your car off with them in short stay car park and pick it up from there on return and therefore avoiding the masses of cars trying to get off the CPS car park.

The opinion of your insurers does not really matter; it all rests on the contractual agreement which is stated in your insurance documents. Provided the vehicle is legally parked and retained the key yourself there will be no issues.

Whether it is wise is another matter. Certainly if the householder said you must leave the key with them for any reason I would suggest there would be major problems in the event of a claim. My friend and I went on a cruise to the Caribbean and my brother said we could park on his drive however in the event the space was not available. We just parked the car in the road near a local recreation ground for a fortnight. It was a pretty old car and when we got back we had no problems and it started first time. This is the cheapest system you will find but not sensible with a decent car.

Regards John

The opinion of your insurers does not really matter; it all rests on the contractual agreement which is stated in your insurance documents. Regards John

The contractual agreement stated in my insurance IS my insurer's opinion.:confused: And they all vary; that's why saying "what a load of tosh" was rather unwise.

I heard that some Southampton home owners offer parking on their drive' date=' for a fee, while the car owner is off on a cruise. Any comments and suggestions along with possible costs would be appreciated. Also transfers to the terminal - taxi ?[/quote']

We found that parking at Southampton was really expensive (Circa £140 for 14 night) and that the parking attendents tended to play with the controls in the car We now go down the day before and stay in The New Place hotel in Soton. It costs £199 but for that you get dinner bed and breakfast, parking on site for 14 nights and taxi to and from port.

The food at new Place is fabulous.

We have used Parking4Cruises for the last 5 cruises with P&O, so simple to do. Park up on the carpark virtually next to the ship, pick the car up at the same place when you get back. If you sail back to another terminal then the car is waiting for you there.There is also a discount, about 5%, when you book with them again. Service is excellent and one of the cheapest to use.

Cheers John