Few comments from recent Freedom cruise

We just returned from Freedom OTS. Not going to do a full review, but had a few comments to make. We are Diamond C&A members so comments are coming from that perspective.

1) For people going through MCO (orlando), the RCCL booth is only in terminal B (we were told either A or B by RCCL people).

2) Buses started before 10 am.

3) Boarding was before 11 am.

4) NO Honey Stung Chicken or shrimp in windjammer on first day. Other than that, shrimp was plentiful.

5) Compass had lots of errors. Always verify times/places

6) Best shopping for alcohol was St Thomas. (Note--St Maarten downtown was closed so I am using the port stores as comparison).

7) Pressure at stores is higher than I remember. Beware!

8) Alcohol also has negotiable prices. Not a lot, but some.

9) Diamond lounge is great! A quiet place for breakfast (continental) and reading during the day. Happy hour is great!

10) Water pressure and temperature was great! (Better than previous cruises on other ships)

11) Room width (inside) is very small--cannot use sides of bed easily to get out!

12) Tuscan lunch at Giovannis is wonderful. Well worth $20 pp charge (class on making pasta, lunch and galley tour) on last sea day.

13) t-shirt sale on pool deck--crowded, but better managed than other ships.

14) Breakfast service spotty. Some good and some not-so-good.

15) Booking on board has changed (probably, most of you know this). Check deals thoroughly.

16) Pizza (sorrento) not great, but not horrible.

17) Draft beer selection--not great but better than in the past.

18) Main dining--better than before in quality of food.

19) Art auction goes long (and more pressure to buy)--be prepared.

20) Entertainment is better than other ships

21) Gratuity/taxes is now 18%. Most probably know this, but was a surprise for us.

22) Gratuity allocations is vague. You pay for "dining services" which is not specified between waiter, asst waiter and head waiter. Unfortunate as head waiter does little to deserve gratuity.

23) Baked goods (breads) esceptional! Pasteries at breakfast, so-so.

24) Cupcake class--OK but not really worth $$

25) Key cards for room problematic! Had to have card remade 4 times for wife and twice for myself. Make sure that your room key is not near anything! (camera, cell phone, other cards, etc).

Hope these hints help others. Enjoy your cruise. We really had a good time and am looking forward to another cruise in the near future.

Bill

22) Gratuity allocations is vague. You pay for "dining services" which is not specified between waiter, asst waiter and head waiter. Unfortunate as head waiter does little to deserve gratuity.

Yeah, even back in the day where we handed the servers their envelopes with cash or vouchers, that was usually the only time we'd see the head waiter. I always felt like it was such a rip off to tip a guy who never did anything for us. Then, I remembered something. The only time I'd probably see him is if I had a problem with my servers. And since I didn't then I guess he did do his job to make sure the server were properly trained and on top of things. So I guess that's something. Still, he could have come by and at least said "hello" and chatted with us sometime before the last night where he came to get his envelope.

Thanks for the review Bill. I know a lot of people like the longer reviews, and pictures are always interesting to see. But I, for one, appreciate your format a lot.

Looking forward to finding out about FOTS soon.

Yeah, even back in the day where we handed the servers their envelopes with cash or vouchers, that was usually the only time we'd see the head waiter. I always felt like it was such a rip off to tip a guy who never did anything for us. Then, I remembered something. The only time I'd probably see him is if I had a problem with my servers. And since I didn't then I guess he did do his job to make sure the server were properly trained and on top of things. So I guess that's something. Still, he could have come by and at least said "hello" and chatted with us sometime before the last night where he came to get his envelope.

Agreed . I also heard that the head waiter is doing his/her job if everything is running monthly. But, I also like to have him/her come over to the table prior to the last evening. In the old days, we used to joke that we would remove a portion of the tip for however many nights from the beginning of the cruise it took for him/her to come over. (half tip if it took till night 4 of a 7 night cruise) :eek:

On our last cruise ( 15 nights), the head waiter did not come to our table till about night 12! He came to every table but ours. It became a running joke with our table mates.

M

The last few sailings on Freedom, we've had a lot of interaction with the section head. I love Indian food, and it's no longer on the menu, but if you ask for it, your waiter will bring over the section head and he'll make arrangements.

We've had some lovely conversations with them, they surprise me with wonderful dishes. I have come to tip them for their attention to what I love and making our dining room experience so enjoyable.

Is this the individual you're calling the "head waiter"? He's not in a server uniform, but in tuxedo type attire.

15) Booking on board has changed (probably, most of you know this). Check deals thoroughly.

I will say overall, the people running the Next Cruise booking were the most efficient and friendly I had experienced. Much more than the 2 times I dealt with the people on Jewel or Allure.

If we never saw the headwaiter, he didn't get tipped...back in the "cash tip" days!

I certainly understand that. Ironically, since the new tipping policy went in affect, I've seen the head waiter more than I use to, or I did on my pre-2011 cruises. I have specific memories of great head waiters on my 2012 Jewel Cruise, my 2013 Majesty cruise and my 2014 Jewel cruise.

If we never saw the headwaiter, he didn't get tipped...back in the "cash tip" days!

Is that why they always come round to your table and make small talk with you? I hadn't really realised that (don't come from a tipping culture). I *hate* them doing that, I find it excruciating. Not that they've ever been rude or unpleasant, I just find it very unpleasant having to make small talk with a complete stranger for no apparent reason. Its not so bad with the actual waiters because you get to know them over a cruise, and also they're too busy to talk that much. But *urgh*, the painful obligatory talking with the head waiter - I'll tip them NOT to do it, gladly lol

Is that why they always come round to your table and make small talk with you? I hadn't really realised that (don't come from a tipping culture). I *hate* them doing that, I find it excruciating. Not that they've ever been rude or unpleasant, I just find it very unpleasant having to make small talk with a complete stranger for no apparent reason. Its not so bad with the actual waiters because you get to know them over a cruise, and also they're too busy to talk that much. But *urgh*, the painful obligatory talking with the head waiter - I'll tip them NOT to do it, gladly lol

:)

Act like you've been caught in an embarrassing conversation, or pretend to have an argument. :)

The last few sailings on Freedom, we've had a lot of interaction with the section head. I love Indian food, and it's no longer on the menu, but if you ask for it, your waiter will bring over the section head and he'll make arrangements.

I'm not sure they have ever had the Indian food on the menu. But the difference I'm reading is that you can't just arrange this with your server? Sigh. I like having this be a server thing, not someone else.

We just returned from Freedom OTS. Not going to do a full review, but had a few comments to make. We are Diamond C&A members so comments are coming from that perspective.

1) For people going through MCO (orlando), the RCCL booth is only in terminal B (we were told either A or B by RCCL people).

2) Buses started before 10 am.

3) Boarding was before 11 am.

4) NO Honey Stung Chicken or shrimp in windjammer on first day. Other than that, shrimp was plentiful.

5) Compass had lots of errors. Always verify times/places

6) Best shopping for alcohol was St Thomas. (Note--St Maarten downtown was closed so I am using the port stores as comparison).

7) Pressure at stores is higher than I remember. Beware!

8) Alcohol also has negotiable prices. Not a lot, but some.

9) Diamond lounge is great! A quiet place for breakfast (continental) and reading during the day. Happy hour is great!

10) Water pressure and temperature was great! (Better than previous cruises on other ships)

11) Room width (inside) is very small--cannot use sides of bed easily to get out!

12) Tuscan lunch at Giovannis is wonderful. Well worth $20 pp charge (class on making pasta, lunch and galley tour) on last sea day.

13) t-shirt sale on pool deck--crowded, but better managed than other ships.

14) Breakfast service spotty. Some good and some not-so-good.

16) Pizza (sorrento) not great, but not horrible.

17) Draft beer selection--not great but better than in the past.

18) Main dining--better than before in quality of food.

19) Art auction goes long (and more pressure to buy)--be prepared.

20) Entertainment is better than other ships

21) Gratuity/taxes is now 18%. Most probably know this, but was a surprise for us.

23) Baked goods (breads) esceptional! Pasteries at breakfast, so-so.

24) Cupcake class--OK but not really worth $$

25) Key cards for room problematic! Had to have card remade 4 times for wife and twice for myself. Make sure that your room key is not near anything! (camera, cell phone, other cards, etc).

Hope these hints help others. Enjoy your cruise. We really had a good time and am looking forward to another cruise in the near future.

Bill

Thanks for your review.

Did you have a RS, OS or GS for the gratuities to be so high ($18/day?

Thanks for your review.

Did you have a RS, OS or GS for the gratuities to be so high ($18/day?

Gratuities he was referring were for purchases in Lounges and/or Beverage purchases in Dining Areas. They are 18%. :)

Gratuities he was referring were for purchases in Lounges and/or Beverage purchases in Dining Areas. They are 18%. :)

Yes, I thought of that after I clicked "submit." With others talking about tips after this post, I was thinking of "those" gratuities:)