Drink packages.

Wok

Well, from our experience on Celebrity. We had the classic package included.

I think we agreed that it would be quite a 'downer' for us to cruise without it.

Was fab to enjoy the free flowing wine with dinner, coffees, oj at breaky, mineral water, G&ts, bottled water to take off the ship, etc.

To have had to decide each time whether I wanted to pay another $15 per glass of wine (for something well under $10 per bottle in an Aus bottle shop) would have taken the gloss off the whole experience.

At the prices they charge, drinks add up quickly. On the other hand, if you don't drink much, it most likely won't be worth it.

So many threads about this, many, many, many on the particular threads for each cruise line. (eg: Royal Caribbean and Celebrity)

They always deteriorate into a discussion about people drinking too much.

I would suggest that as you have done a few cruises, you would have an idea on how much of what drink product you had, and you should be able to compare the daily charge with what you normally would spend. That is really the best way to work out the value to you in your own eyes. A good point on the previous post about coffees etc.

Edited by goodycruising

I believe they are good value. I had Premium last time on Celebrity Solstice and will do again for our next cruise. I found this calculator and modified it to almost current prices and you do not have to drink much to get your value.

Play with some numbers and see what you come up with.

Celebrity Drink PKG Selector 2014 calculator.xls

I believe they are good value. I had Premium last time on Celebrity Solstice and will do again for our next cruise. I found this calculator and modified it to almost current prices and you do not have to drink much to get your value.

Play with some numbers and see what you come up with.

Thanks for the calculator link .

We did the Hawaii to Sydney trip in 2013 and it was our first time with a drinks package. We didn't go overboard with drinks and found that compared to previous spending on drinks it was definitely worth it.

We are looking forward to our next cruise on the Dawn Princess 6/9/2015 and the concept of not having to worry about will we or can we afford another drink.

As posted before all drinks are included, not just alcohol. As for the soft drink pack. There is plenty to choose from. Then add the coffee pack and presto you are at the same price bracket as the all inclusive package.

For me it is not a matter of should I get the package or not but who will take my money once on board. I understand that all bars and the Purser's office are the go.

Thanks for the calculator, very helpful. Sailing on Celebrity Solstice next year. Hawaii to Sydney. DH a beer drinker every afternoon from beer o'clock time until dinner, about 6-beers and I have 2-3 glasses of wine most nights. Will have to wait until we get on board and do some maths. Not sure what our dollar will be like in 12 months.:eek:

Thanks for the calculator, very helpful. Sailing on Celebrity Solstice next year. Hawaii to Sydney. DH a beer drinker every afternoon from beer o'clock time until dinner, about 6-beers and I have 2-3 glasses of wine most nights. Will have to wait until we get on board and do some maths. Not sure what our dollar will be like in 12 months.:eek:

I expect hubby will at least break even, depending on what lse you drink, you may be better to buy by the drink.

My first cruise I had a soft drink package and felt I got good use out of it. Our second cruise had the "free" classic package by celebrity which I upgraded to premium. I didn't drink enough to have made it worth while I I had paid for the whole premium package rather than just the upgrade price. Our last cruise I had no package and just bought a few a la carte drinks which came in well under a drinks package and it was just as enjoyable as not having the package.

So for me if I had one I would make use of it, if I don't have it I don't really miss it. But I'm not a big drinker normally and just can't drink that much for 10 days straight to get the value out of one. Non alcoholic package I would definitely get value out of though.

I suggest you drink for a day and then see if it is worth it, judging by your and your DH's drinking habits, it probably isn't cost affective. However, if you throw in coffees and bottles of water then perhaps it may.

we have the drinks package all the time don't worry about the price. we don't count the drinks its a holiday just sit back and enjoy life to short to worry about the money cant take it with you. I was told the pens you sign with carry the bugs.( good excuse) mozza :eek:

On our Royal Caribbean cruise in March we waited until we boarded, checked the cocktail prices in the bar, went up to the dining room and looked at the wine lists, did the sums and immediately bought packages as it was very obvious that we would save money that way.

But, yes, having the package did tempt us to drink a little more than we expected - one cocktail by the pool sometimes became two, or we had two cocktails before dinner instead of one. :eek: :D

we have the drinks package all the time don't worry about the price. we don't count the drinks its a holiday just sit back and enjoy life to short to worry about the money cant take it with you. I was told the pens you sign with carry the bugs.( good excuse) mozza :eek:

I like that reason, the convenience is a great one too.:D

Do both my wife & myself have to purchase the package? I thought I remember reading that if 1 person gets the package whoever else is the same room also has to get it?

Only because the wife would probably enjoy maybe 5 drinks maximum thought the day on a holiday.

Myself probably 10 [emoji482] most days on holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do both my wife & myself have to purchase the package? I thought I remember reading that if 1 person gets the package whoever else is the same room also has to get it?

Only because the wife would probably enjoy maybe 5 drinks maximum thought the day on a holiday.

That will vary from line to line.

Generally when booking pre cruise that may be the case but once on board individuals can buy it.

Don't forget to think of the non-alcoholic drinks you get of a package. A 'good' coffee in the morning (I wouldn't call myself a coffee snob, but some of the coffee they serve for free is terrible), fresh OJ (compared to the sweet tropical punch that's free), bottled water and the odd soft drink can make the drinks package worth it, even if you are having a couple of wines at dinner. And while we upgraded to the premium package of Celebrity on our last cruise, I wouldn't say we drank more, just better quality drinks. (Some of the fancy cocktails at the fancy bars are not to be missed)

Forget about the 'vanilla lattes' or 'caramel macchiatos', a straight flat white that doesn't resemble a cup of brown water made from a combination of ground wood shavings and coffee beans is all that I need (sorry if I have offended, but I can not stomach the stuff from the buffet)