Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Good afternoon, M, Soapy and Spinkins, lovely to here the news.

Yes ... a balcony with a ViSpring bed attatched to it is how we think about it. We were so lucky to happen on it.

We use to go to the South of France for sea food injections, but none of the places we went to were you actually with a seaview. But here today we had some gorgeous prawns (shrimp) with some frozen dry white wine and a red onion quiche and although it's a Bank Holiday here, we are so high above the beach it is blissfully quiet. I cannot say how much pleasure we get from seafood on the balcony. We are fortunate. I often sit here all day.

Unluckily as the umbrellas are up my ipad piccies are too dark and aren't worth uploading but this one of some of todays prawns is the best I can do!

Jeff

2A1AF50C-EB8F-4262-A188-5C44658B5F98_1.jpg

You do indeed have a prime location there Jeff! I love the water even though I can't swim a stroke! I love being on the sea shore, being on a ship or even on a creek side. Watching the water soothes my soul. Having ready access to that would be heaven for me! The shrimp look soooooo yummy!

Good Morning from the balcony in Devon. Lovely day emerging ... ipad panny ..... Jeff

UKCruiseJeff: Just getting fully immersed in my latest learnings. I am obsessed with social history. Really stunning learning about how advanced ancient civilisation was in the Indus river/valley civilisations. Roughly 5 million people living in around 1000 cities so far discoverd. The civilisation is very ancient and turns my concepts of the degree of advancement some of these civilisations enjoyed.

spinnaker2: the tropical storm' date=' Erika, was supposed to bring us days of rain, but no such luck. We had some, but not enough and South Florida is parched and hot. [b'] Fall is almost here[/b], and that means football in the US, first big college game Thursday night with Michigan playing Utah.

Appreciate the great scenic view from the UK coastal area. Loved the shrimp visuals. Wonderful!! Look forward to hearing more on those ancient civilizations. Given the huge pressures of people seeking to escape from those areas and come into Europe now, that learning experience will be of interest. Share more!!

HAPPY SEPTEMBER/FOOTBALL!!: It is September 1, 2015, and this is kind of the unofficial start in the shift towards the fall season. This includes football here, both college and NFL. Yes, Thursday night it will be Michigan visiting Utah. I will be cheering for UM and the Big Ten to win that night. Several big games on Saturday, including Texas at Notre Dame and Wisconsin vs. Alabama. Monday night (Labor Day holiday here), we will be in Lane Stadium at Blackburg, Va., to attend the game with our #1-ranked Ohio State team playing Virginia Tech. That game will be televised nationally on ESPN at 8 pm.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,621 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry,

Either Indus valley or river civilisations or Harappa is a great starting point. Sadly these aras are in Pakistan or we would like to visit. In my mind they are so significant because they pre-date both Roman and Greek civilisations by at least a few thousand years. Another way of thinking about it is that the distance we see the Roman and Greek civilisations from today is the way that they would see Indus ...or double that difference.

The facts are intriguing. An enormous mature and highly civilised society. Sophisitcated town planning with housing with "bathrooms" with drainage into mains drainage. A democratic process but seemingly through democracy. And depending on which accounts starting from 5000BC. It makes early Roman and Greek appear old fashioned when it started.

Some starting points.

Jeff

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=indus+river+civilization

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=harappan+civilisation

Thanks M.

It is lovely but sadly a deprived area and one that could never be "home". I could write a book about the behaviour of people here. It is only 130 miles from a main home but it is more alien in so many ways that we have more in common with environments that we travel thousands of miles to visit. It is a shame but life is full of ying and yang.

Still, we come here for a change of scenery and the balcony!

Jeff

That civilization sounds very intriguing Jeff! I'll have to mosey on over to the links provided.

I have a couple more photos of the Fogo Island Inn to share. Some people may recognize the name "Fogo" from a traditional Newfoundland folk ballad that was covered by the Canadian musical group Great Big Sea.

Some of the lyrics are:

"I's the b'y that builds the boat

And I's the b'y that sails her

I's the b'y that catches the fish

And brings them home to Liza. (or Lizer)

Chorus: Hip yer partner, Sally Thibault

Hip yer partner, Sally Brown

Fogo, Twillingate, Moreton's Harbour

All around the circle!"

The first picture is the terrace of the Fogo Island Inn.

Vi05LS_Ww0mURsDtH3xsShxIH4-SYinSDhNsKP96xqU=w900-h675-no

The second picture was taken from the other side of a small inlet. The big white building on stilts is the Fogo Island Inn. The small settlement at the foot of the Inn is Joe Batt's Arm.

GgvFL9hcCtLWyPRnMx34evg5GYspvsGlwMUlgedkHFE=w900-h675-no

Hi Terry,

Either Indus valley or river civilisations or Harappa is a great starting point. Sadly these aras are in Pakistan or we would like to visit. In my mind they are so significant because they pre-date both Roman and Greek civilisations by at least a few thousand years. Another way of thinking about it is that the distance we see the Roman and Greek civilisations from today is the way that they would see Indus ...or double that difference.

The facts are intriguing. An enormous mature and highly civilised society. Sophisitcated town planning with housing with "bathrooms" with drainage into mains drainage. A democratic process but seemingly through democracy. And depending on which accounts starting from 5000BC. It makes early Roman and Greek appear old fashioned when it started.

Some starting points. Jeff

Appreciate this great added background from Jeff. WOW!! Did not realize that they were so advanced in this area of the world at that time. Do not have time right now to dig in with more depth. As always, the question is about why and how did those advanced folks get "off of the tracks" and went downhill?

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 53,977 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Thanks M.

It is lovely but sadly a deprived area and one that could never be "home". I could write a book about the behaviour of people here. It is only 130 miles from a main home but it is more alien in so many ways that we have more in common with environments that we travel thousands of miles to visit. It is a shame but life is full of ying and yang.

Still, we come here for a change of scenery and the balcony!

Jeff

What a shame about the populace around your magical retreat Jeff! It must make for some uncomfortable dealings. As long as you can tough it out though, that spot would be wonderful. It is a disappointment when fellow travelers on the journey around the sun can't behave kindly and respectfully to one another.

One of the main differences and therefore issues when comparing both Canada and America with the UK it seems to me is that whereas in those two countries aspiration and success is something to be valued and aspired to, in the UK it is something often to be despised. So some of the issue is because I am an irritating sod, and some of it is because it is a second home and we have a decent car and do not work ... and that also makes me an irritating sod. These things often then morph into long-term hate campaigns and I guess you either let bullies win or you try to ignore them as best you can. Some of it has been quite terrible, but not worth writing about on such a lovely day.

:)

Jeff

Oh Jeff, that is so sad! We have our share of louts here too! You don't have a monopoly on them! I think unless a person is a bully themselves, chances are everyone has been bullied at some point in their life for many different reasons. Living well is the best revenge! :) So enjoy the shrimp!!!!

One of the main differences and therefore issues when comparing both Canada and America with the UK it seems to me is that whereas in those two countries aspiration and success is something to be valued and aspired to, in the UK it is something often to be despised. So some of the issue is because I am an irritating sod, and some of it is because it is a second home and we have a decent car and do not work ... and that also makes me an irritating sod. These things often then morph into long-term hate campaigns and I guess you either let bullies win or you try to ignore them as best you can. Some of it has been quite terrible, but not worth writing about on such a lovely day. :) Jeff

Yes, very interesting thoughts and comparisons. Agree on enjoying the lovely day and not getting too focused on the "bullies". Won't bring up too much for how one achieves status as "an irritating sod".

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 29,872 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

mysty:

Bromley (old dog) is still here. She still seems to be living each day as it comes. The lignans, the melatonin and the cool beds all add to her quality of life. DH feeds her in the am and at night. She runs, well rather bounces, to greet him at the door as he comes in from work. He is the giver of food.

I on the other hand, am the walk mistress, masseuse and chief pickerupper of poops. Brom does not sleep thru the night and we are out at 1 and 3 and then 6 am. Its like having a new baby. You sleep with one eye open.

Who knew retirement would be like this! I remember Jeff talking me through the beginning of the retirement decision. Thats when he thought i was a "bloke". :-)

I really can't complain, my days are pretty full. We have been on a number of cruises, all wonderful. More to come!

We have finally decided to sell the interval colorado ski weeks with the exception of one, which is in March, and is the two bedroom place.

The almost end of an era. We have been skiing at that location for about 30 years.

Spinnaker2, I thought you were a "bloke" at first too. Soon learned the error of that assumption! :) I'm glad Bromely is still enjoying her life. It must be a little difficult for you though. Interrupted sleep can be a real downer!

Your life in retirement sounds great! Myster has decided not to completely sever the job umbilical cord just yet. He plans to work 3 days a week for about a year in order to give him time to ease into it.

It's great that you still enjoy skiing! My bones will not allow that. My one experience skiing was a disaster. I hibernate in winter as much as possible now. My dream is to live in a more temperate spot once Myster decides to cut the cord. :)

J, I would love to live in Adelaide, Australia! I fell in love with that place during our visit in 2004. I know it gets very warm there but I much prefer heat to cold! Myster was there on business and I spent the time walking that city! It was clean and beautiful! My daughter would not like that idea one bit because she and her family currently live about 2 1/2 hours away. However, if I was foot-loose and fancy-free I would move in a New York minute! :)

New Zealand is having a "flag battle" and it is getting some attention in the Wall Street Journal today. Key question? Should they dump the UK Union Jack from their flag? From this major business publication earlier this afternoon, they have this headline: "National referendum to decide which of four emblems will square off against current flag".

Here are some of their story highlights: "For more than a century, New Zealanders have fought wars and won Olympic medals under a flag with four red stars on a blue background and Great Britain’s Union Jack in the corner. The stars, arranged in a Southern Cross formation, indicated New Zealand’s location in the South Pacific while the incorporation of the Union Jack harked back to the island nation’s time as a British colony."

NZ Designer Kyle Lockwood, who did two of the four final designs said national identity was key to his thinking: “What will make the world recognize us, what will make Kiwis proud to carry it and what will bring a tear to your eye when you see it on the podium?” This story has a graphic showing the four different options to be considered.

The WSJ story concludes: "New Zealanders will go to the polls in late November or early December to rank the four designs by order of preference. The winning design will be pitted against the current flag in a second referendum in March next year."

NZ Flag Consideration Panel chair John Burrows said: "This is ‘history in the making’--these designs offer Kiwis a real choice to consider, think about and rank the flags.”

Reactions, likes, opinions?

Full story at:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/final-four-designs-for-new-zealands-proposed-new-flag-chosen-1441131678

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 184,953 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the Wall Street Journal today, they have this graphic for the four finalists as the potential New Zealand replacement flag. Which do you like most and/or hate least?:

Aug2015PixsA23_zpsfxhgsgrj.jpg

From last year's visit down under, here a current visual comparison. First is the Aussie flag I captured while enjoying a sailing around in the scenic Sydney harbor. Second is the current New Zealand flap seen doing during a Fuller sail-away in scenic Auckland while going to nearby Waiheke Island. Both were fun trips!:

Aug2015PixsA21_zpselki3bs4.jpg

Aug2015PixsA20_zps9bbopsiq.jpg

For sentimental reasons I would like the New Zealanders to keep to the red, white and blue, and apparently quite a few of them want to keep their present flag. But the black and white with the fern on is striking - and it is not for anyone else to try to tell them what to do!

Jeff, I may have missed some posts on here, but I do not know what your horrid 'bullying' is about - since I think your second home is in the Torbay area, I am surprised to hear that anyone in that genteel spot is a bully. Certainly hope it does not mean that people have been damaging your lovely car.

I am not doing too well on the sex change front - body persists in wanting to be female, and DH is certainly not encouraging me. Until I sign myself Louis, I remain

Lola

Hello All....

I really don't know why anyone would want to change national flags at all...what's wrong with them l ask!

Lola....she was a showgirl according to Mr Manilow....Louis wouldn't fit LL..;)

I think our Jeffers is suffering from a severe case of local jealousy...nothing worse than those with green eye....

Busy morning here ordering new doors for both front and back and I'm delighted with the result. I first used the company some thirty years ago and it was good to see the old boss man again who hasn't changed a bit! Sod the BOGOF idjits...:rolleyes:

On the usual quick slurp of merlot before lunch...warming the cockles on a very wet and cold day.

Sophia :)

Hi Karin! According to Wikipedia, the Australian Red Ensign is a variant flag. Not sure how often it is actually used though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Australia

Hi Sophia! Canada changed her flag in 1965 after much debate. I have to say that I am partial to the maple leaf design. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Canada

Hi Lola! I also like the black and white with the fern. :) And stay Lola! It suits you better. :)

The thing is, I am apparently the 'other' Lola, not the showgirl one, sadly! According to the Gospel Jeff. The other one was a bit ambisexual, or whatever the expression currently is. And I probably resemble that one more, being an older lady with less female hormone whizzing around, and I was never much like a showgirl, apart from having long legs.

The thing is, I am apparently the 'other' Lola, not the showgirl one, sadly! According to the Gospel Jeff. The other one was a bit ambisexual, or whatever the expression currently is. And I probably resemble that one more, being an older lady with less female hormone whizzing around, and I was never much like a showgirl, apart from having long legs.

Long legs Lola? That's awesome! I am a bit stunted myself. I never was very tall and now I seem to be shrinking. Myster is 6'3" and now I am just hitting 5'2". Standing side by side we do look kind of mismatched. :) He is easy to spot in a crowd though. That's a good thing because I seem to lose him frequently! :)

Hi mysty - Not as long as some - I used to be 5'8 1/2", now an inch less. When I was young this was unusually tall,nowadays many of the young girls top me by a lot! No doubt due to more and better food?

Lola, I would love to be 5'7.5"! Most of the clothing these days seems to be designed for "taller than me" women. Even with "petite" sizing I have to hem most trousers, skirts and dresses. Such a pain! And I agree that we seem to be growing them taller these days. Maybe they are like plants reaching for the cleaner air and more sunlight! :)