Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Thanks Terry! Very good questions and obviously the answers will determine my choice of camera. I don't typically frame any of the pictures I take. My walls have no empty spots and flat surfaces have all been claimed by other things. :) The pictures reside on my computer for the most part to be enjoyed as the whim strikes. I share photos with my family on Picasa. And I have started to share photos here. My Olympus E 300 takes great pictures but it is heavy and awkward to cart around especially in a carry on when size and weight are restricted. Jeff's suggestion would give me more options and would be readily available if carried in my pocket. Thanks for taking the time to ask the probing questions Terry! :)

M,

I'm sure that Terry means to be helpful, but what I cannot tell from his very general observations about cameras is which of his general questions might point you to a different camera.

Perhaps if he could state a bit more clearly which of his points would be impeded or disadvantaged by choosing the RX100 it might be more helpful. I can't think of any.

Edited: Perhaps he is suggesting you could get something cheaper? Difficult to distil from his enigmatic post. :D

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

M,

I'm sure that Terry means to be helpful, but what I cannot tell from his very general observations about cameras is which of his general questions might point you to a different camera.

Perhaps if he could state a bit more clearly which of his points would be impeded or disadvantaged by choosing the RX100 it might be more helpful. I can't think of any.

Edited: Perhaps he is suggesting you could get something cheaper? Difficult to distil from his enigmatic post. :D

Jeff

J, I'm not sure where Terry was heading with his questions. They are good questions and like you, I'm not sure how the answers would lead to choosing something other than the RX100M3. Maybe I seem like someone who needs a lot of guidance on this issue. :)

I looked at the two links you provided for accessories and the Hana Fancy 50e is available on amazon.ca. The interesting thing is that they are sold by vendors in the UK. Thankfully shipping is free. :) The grip is available also but it ships from Japan with prices starting at $26.00 CAD plus shipping. I found it for cheaper on another Canadian website. I will order once Myster places the order for the actual camera. :)

I know that Terry feels that cameras are his domain and his comment seems intended to cause you discomfort and doubt with your direction without providing eithrr alternatives or more detailed suggestions. :confused:

The grip was originally designed and made by an American, and I had to have it sent from the US. A bit of googling might find it locally or buy it from Sony locally. An alternative to the case would be some sort of draw cord glasses or telephone case for the pocket and something protective for travelling.

Although you currently view on a computer, I also use several TV connected media devices that share a pc and nas storage drives on HD TV. We like to see both video and piccies on the big screen in the lounge rather than just on a PC, so taking decent quality would become increasingly important as TVs improve.

Jeff

I know that Terry feels that cameras are his domain and his comment seems intended to cause you discomfort and doubt with your direction without providing eithrr alternatives or more detailed suggestions. :confused:

The grip was originally designed and made by an American, and I had to have it sent from the US. A bit of googling might find it locally or buy it from Sony locally. An alternative to the case would be some sort of draw cord glasses or telephone case for the pocket and something protective for travelling.

Although you currently view on a computer, I also use several TV connected media devices that share a pc and nas storage drives on HD TV. We like to see both video and piccies on the big screen in the lounge rather than just on a PC, so taking decent quality would become increasingly important as TVs improve.

Jeff

Oh, very good point Jeff! Myster did get a new gadget a while ago (hasn't had much use yet) that allows interaction from our computer to our TV (about 10 feet away). I had not thought of showing photos on the TV but that would be awesome! We could bore people to death without having them crowd around the computer. Ha Ha! But seriously, it would make life much easier if our friends wanted to see the pics and videos from the cruise. And I am so excited today because I found a really cool desert excursion for Dubai. It is a bespoke tour and it will be just Myster and I for a dinner in the desert under the stars. Pricey and I don't care! Myster is on board so we are good to go! I booked it this morning. :)

I guess what I was skirting around was the notion that sometimes one pays a touch too much because one doesn't want to be disappointed in the future.

We never watch video on anything other than the large TV. Slide shows are always on the TV, and I only use the portable PC to back up the SD cards whilst traveling - I'm scared of losing all the stuff half way through a trip if I have the camera stolen or leave it somewhere - and I only use the PC at home to delete and organise stuff on the drive. The next generation of TVs offer exceptional definition and i wanted to avoid in the future how I feel about much of the early videos I made that now look pretty fuzzy. Also most of these TVs (helped most media centres if the TV doesn't have one) are smart and will play all your music collection, videos and slide shows.

I just stuck one of Sony's apps on the camera which I'm looking forward to playing with. It's a time lapse control so you say point it at a street or at the sky at night for example and it makes a time lapse video. I guess this means a trip to the Northern Lights something we're anxious to do ....

Jeff

Just thinking of your meal in the desert ... that time lapse app would be lovely to film the stars and night sky moving.

There are some short examples on this page

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000003

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I guess what I was skirting around was the notion that sometimes one pays a touch too much because one doesn't want to be disappointed in the future.

We never watch video on anything other than the large TV. Slide shows are always on the TV, and I only use the portable PC to back up the SD cards whilst traveling - I'm scared of losing all the stuff half way through a trip if I have the camera stolen or leave it somewhere - and I only use the PC at home to delete and organise stuff on the drive. The next generation of TVs offer exceptional definition and i wanted to avoid in the future how I feel about much of the early videos I made that now look pretty fuzzy. Also most of these TVs (helped most media centres if the TV doesn't have one) are smart and will play all your music collection, videos and slide shows.

I just stuck one of Sony's apps on the camera which I'm looking forward to playing with. It's a time lapse control so you say point it at a street or at the sky at night for example and it makes a time lapse video. I guess this means a trip to the Northern Lights something we're anxious to do ....

Jeff

Why are you skirting Jeff? No need! I don't think the camera is too expensive for what it does, based on your input and the reviews I read. And I am most certainly not being lead by the nose here. :) Myster wants a good camera and he jumped on the suggestion so obviously he does not think it is too expensive either. I would prefer clean, crisp pictures that show well wherever they are viewed. Now and into whatever the future holds. I could get a cheaper camera but would it measure up? Without doing a ton of research and even then having to trust the opinions of absolute strangers whose credibility is completely unknown how would I know? I have to trust someone and you are handy! :) And not completely unknown!

Time lapse would be sooooooo cool! What a brilliant app! For the Northern Lights are you thinking the Yukon Territories over here?

Just thinking of your meal in the desert ... that time lapse app would be lovely to film the stars and night sky moving.

There are some short examples on this page

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000003

Jeff

THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! Oh now I am even more excited (if that is even possible). Thanks again Jeff!

I just added a link with some short time lapse examples.

I think the Northern Lights is still one thing yet to do that I really want to see, but I think I'm a bit nervous of the uncertainty. I now I have cancelled Singapore for Christmas and January the Aurora has raised it's head again. I definitely won't be doing a cruise or Heurigen or anything so I guess I 'll have t do some research and work it out. Always tempted by Northern Norway. It'll be a few flights to get from the UK to some of those really remote places North of Tromso, but I'm obviously in early thoughts and open minded. Using BA miles might be a factor ....

Jeff

Nervous of the uncertainty of actually seeing the Northern Lights on a trip that you book? Life is a crap shoot Jeff! You pays your money and you takes your chances. Always trying to hedge the bet though. :) Do you feel lucky punk? Ha Ha! I firmly believe that things work out and in hindsight sometimes they work out brilliantly! Just do it! :)

And the examples of the time lapse are awesome! My fingers are getting itchy to dive right in!

Good morning all - we're on the train from Frankfurt to Würzburg as I write this. Should get there just after 13:00. Didn't sleep much on the flight over... Must be too excited!

This afternoon we'll visit some sights in Würzburg as long as we can stay awake. Funny, this will be our third cisit there and we've hardly seen much of the town.

Tomorrow we're taking a local train to Bamberg, to explore for a few hours. We also plan to meet up with Sven and Melanie. Sven was an exchange student who lived with my family back 15 or 20 years ago. He was closer to my younger siblings but we knew him back then too. They live near Nuremberg. Should be fun!

M,

Jeff

I think his general point was that how you want to display the picture(s) is important to determining which camera is appropriate and something you need to consider.

The larger the picture, and the closer it is viewed, the more you need to be concerned about the sensor type/size, megapixels, quality of the optics, etc. Of course the reverse is true as well.

Good advice, but for your average person who just wants good shots of their vacations, family gatherings, etc. to show on their computer/TV it's not very relevant.

If that's all one wants, I'd get a mid price camera from a reputable company and concentrate on size, ease of use, battery life, etc.

I think his general point was that how you want to display the picture(s) is important to determining which camera is appropriate and something you need to consider.

The larger the picture, and the closer it is viewed, the more you need to be concerned about the sensor type/size, megapixels, quality of the optics, etc. Of course the reverse is true as well.

Good advice, but for your average person who just wants good shots of their vacations, family gatherings, etc. to show on their computer/TV it's not very relevant.

If that's all one wants, I'd get a mid price camera from a reputable company and concentrate on size, ease of use, battery life, etc.

Mark,

Good to see you post!

With the very greatest respect, I think that post was true a long time ago but really isn't relevant now. When MegaPixels were expensive in new digital camera, you use to have to consider how much definition you need - but to me this era is long gone. Even cheap cameras have such a high level of definition all new cameras will produce definitions suitable for anything from PC screens, to TV upto printed posters. Even cheap sub-£100 cameras give 15mp or more. Anything more than 12mp will do most for most people so 20 or more with all modes downwards will give everything to 99.9% of the population.

So with respect those are pretty much considerations one can almost ignore imho but what matters is the quality of picture and how it processes it etc and usability and in my case a lot of easliy used quality packed into a pocket camera. etc.

Just my opinion.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Nervous of the uncertainty of actually seeing the Northern Lights on a trip that you book? Life is a crap shoot Jeff! You pays your money and you takes your chances. Always trying to hedge the bet though. :) Do you feel lucky punk? Ha Ha! I firmly believe that things work out and in hindsight sometimes they work out brilliantly! Just do it! :)

And the examples of the time lapse are awesome! My fingers are getting itchy to dive right in!

:D

I think I am fearful of going all that way where there is nothing else to do but bankrupt oneself on very expensive booze and hang around for several days for something that doesn't turn up!

Jeff

JP .... how exciting. :D

I wonder what you are going to eat. I bet you Chris and you are salivating over the thought of a glorious stelze / pork knuckle ..... and kraut! And a bratty or three ....

Sven and Melanie are so lucky to live in one of the bets Christmas markets in the world ..... and it is entirely coincidental that today I was checking on when the first maroni is availaible in the UK ....

Jeff

I think I am fearful of going all that way where there is nothing else to do but bankrupt oneself on very expensive booze and hang around for several days for something that doesn't turn up!

Jeff

Yes J , the bankrupting on expensive booze would definitely be a concern. :) Surely there is a location with a better than 50-50 chance of viewing the Northern Lights that might also offer something else interesting should the NL not show up. Keeping in mind the BA flight paths as well. I will do some research too!

Good morning all - we're on the train from Frankfurt to Würzburg as I write this. Should get there just after 13:00. Didn't sleep much on the flight over... Must be too excited!

This afternoon we'll visit some sights in Würzburg as long as we can stay awake. Funny, this will be our third cisit there and we've hardly seen much of the town.

Tomorrow we're taking a local train to Bamberg, to explore for a few hours. We also plan to meet up with Sven and Melanie. Sven was an exchange student who lived with my family back 15 or 20 years ago. He was closer to my younger siblings but we knew him back then too. They live near Nuremberg. Should be fun!

Glad to hear you arrived safely and are on the move! Enjoy your day!

Yes J , the bankrupting on expensive booze would definitely be a concern. :) Surely there is a location with a better than 50-50 chance of viewing the Northern Lights that might also offer something else interesting should the NL not show up. Keeping in mind the BA flight paths as well. I will do some research too!

Just proves I'm a coward. 50/50 is no good at all ...

I'd prefer to stand at a punch stall with a mug of punch with some nuts in my hands at a Christmas Market.

Jeff

J, have you considered Scotland?

http://www.skyscanner.net/news/6-best-places-see-northern-lights-winter-2015-2016

"In February this year, the coast of Caithness in the far north of Scotland was one of the best places to see the Aurora Borealis."

And it also looks like Yellowknife, Northwest Territories is a great place being directly under the auroral oval.

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/jf13/map/

I would have to say that your heart is not really in it then J. Because if you were determined to see the NLs you would make it happen. :) Just an observation. Travelwise, it seems that nothing is really capturing your heart. Is ennui creeping in between the creation of mouth-watering meals?

I think his general point was that how you want to display the picture(s) is important to determining which camera is appropriate and something you need to consider. The larger the picture, and the closer it is viewed, the more you need to be concerned about the sensor type/size, megapixels, quality of the optics, etc. Of course the reverse is true as well. Good advice, but for your average person who just wants good shots of their vacations, family gatherings, etc. to show on their computer/TV it's not very relevant. If that's all one wants, I'd get a mid price camera from a reputable company and concentrate on size, ease of use, battery life, etc.

UKCruiseJeff: I know that Terry feels that cameras are his domain and his comment seems intended to cause you discomfort and doubt with your direction without providing eithrr alternatives or more detailed suggestions.

jpalbny: Good morning all - we're on the train from Frankfurt to Würzburg as I write this. Should get there just after 13:00. Didn't sleep much on the flight over... Must be too excited!

Excellent above summary by Mark. YES' date=' that is, in part, why I asked the simple and direct question for what and how she desired with her pictures. [b']No "discomfort" intended!!![/b] Yes, with cameras, cars, etc., it can be complicated with so many, many options and potentials, plus sales/media hype. Some folks, on both categories, get carried away with the features and options. There can be lots of techno over-kill and ego-babble. Plus, the snob-factor, etc. BUT, there are times when those differences, both on cameras and cars, can be of importance, maybe!! For me personally, that extra "size" can be very important when editing and/or enlarging. For others, it is totally not that needed or important. There are also times when being able to shoot five frames a second could be of need. For most, that is not that important. Others like added "freedom" when shooting under unusual lighting situations. Most don't. As I noted originally, it is great that digital technology has improved so much in the past 15 years. Plus, that there are so many good options to fit your desired size of camera, price, etc. BUT, like with cars, it can be confusing and different people have varied interests and needs.

Great that Chris and JP have arrived in Germany and are excited about their adventure.

In Virginia now and getting ready to enjoy our grandsons, plus getting ready for the Monday night, prime-time game in Blackburg of the number-one ranked Ohio State Buckeyes visiting Virginia Tech.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 118,380 views for this posting.

Jeff,

Thanks, it's good to be back posting. Especially since it means I've booked another cruise. Silver Spirit 10-day Caribbean this November. No disagreements with them over pricing this time. :-)

Mark

Edited by Mark_K

Excellent above summary by Mark. YES, that is, in part, why I asked the simple and direct question for what and how she desired with her pictures. No "discomfort" intended!!! Yes, with cameras, cars, etc., it can be complicated with so many, many options and potentials, plus sales/media hype. Some folks, on both categories, get carried away with the features and options. There can be lots of techno over-kill and ego-babble. Plus, the snob-factor, etc. BUT, there are times when those differences, both on cameras and cars, can be of importance, maybe!! For me personally, that extra "size" can be very important when editing and/or enlarging. For others, it is totally not that needed or important. There are also times when being able to shoot five frames a second could be of need. For most, that is not that important. Others like added "freedom" when shooting under unusual lighting situations. Most don't. As I noted originally, it is great that digital technology has improved so much in the past 15 years. Plus, that there are so many good options to fit your desired size of camera, price, etc. BUT, like with cars, it can be confusing and different people have varied interests and needs.

Thanks Terry and Mark! I appreciate your interest and concern about my intended camera purchase. But I am not sure why the concern? Do you think I am getting in over my head with a more complex and expensive choice than I need for "simply" taking photos for personal enjoyment? I can say that I am not a person who is into "snob appeal". So there is no reason for concern on that point. As I mentioned, I have a great Olympus camera that I love. It is big, heavy and awkward to carry around especially since we will be taking many flights with restrictive carry on requirements. That is why I want a small camera that will take excellent photos. If you have other suggestions for my purchase I would really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks again for your interest and concern! :)

Jeff,

Thanks, it's good to be back posting. Especially since it means I've booked another cruise. Silver Spirit 10-day Caribbean this November. No disagreements with them over pricing this time. :-)

Mark

Mark,

You have a pioneering spirit ..... which I much admire! I do so hope your cruise is a total success!

Your piccy of Stonhenge prompts me to say that Helga my trusty Lady Merc, got us past Stonehenge twice ie going and coming back without breaking down. It does seem to like Stonehenge to take a break so getting back without stopping is a great plus!

November isn't far away.

Jeff