Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

We have a TV programme in the UK where people tell true or false stories and the other side has to work out which is true or false. I think this came from this.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I have played a similar style of game with word definitions. An obscure word is given, everyone writes down a "definition" on little pieces of paper and then all the "definitions" are read along with the real one and people vote on which one is real. My creative "definitions" fooled a lot of people. :)

This 'liars' game sometimes happens on board ship when one has to decide who's lying or telling the truth....can be good fun!

S:)

Thanks Sophia! It does sound like fun! It would be a great test for my internal lie detector. It came in very handy when my daughter was a teenager. :)

Jeff, those memory settings are features that caught my attention right off the bat! There seem to be 12 of them to play with. I want to give myself lots of time to play with a new camera before we leave so I think I will be acting soon. What did you get as a memory card?

M,

By coincidence I have spent two days on the card issue and to summarise it you don't need anything more than a basic SDXC card class 10 (at least 64gig) for XAVC S c recording. I have just returned a very expensive superier card because it didn't give me any advantage over the exisitng class 10 64gig.

Something like this is fine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CF3EOFM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

XAVC S is the new engine that powers very fast and outrageously good commercial quality HD video that can provide at 100mbps which if you want to fiddle provides slow motion capability. The challenge is playing it backj which I fiddled with yesterday. Straight from camera to TV via an HDMI cable it is broadcast quality.

Some other things you might need.

HDMI to mini HDMI cable

Spare batteries and wall charger ... the camera charges but a wall charger is better

Perhaps a mini tripod for time delay playing .. I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002L0BXJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This is an idiots guide I bought for the model 1 version and now have for model 3 - it explains all the settings to me as an idiot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N325FIY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o04_

There is also quite a lot of useful youtube reviews and stuff on setting the camera up. Most of it is sadly way above my head. It takes great pictures and videos and thinks for me and that is what I want.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

M,

By coincidence I have spent two days on the card issue and to summarise it you don't need anything more than a basic SDXC card class 10 (at least 64gig) for XAVC S c recording. I have just returned a very expensive superier card because it didn't give me any advantage over the exisitng class 10 64gig.

Something like this is fine:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CF3EOFM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

XAVC S is the new engine that powers very fast and outrageously good commercial quality HD video that can provide at 100mbps which if you want to fiddle provides slow motion capability. The challenge is playing it backj which I fiddled with yesterday. Straight from camera to TV via an HDMI cable it is broadcast quality.

Some other things you might need.

HDMI to mini HDMI cable

Spare batteries and wall charger ... the camera charges but a wall charger is better

Perhaps a mini tripod for time delay playing .. I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002L0BXJO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This is an idiots guide I bought for the model 1 version and now have for model 3 - it explains all the settings to me as an idiot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N325FIY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o04_

There is also quite a lot of useful youtube reviews and stuff on setting the camera up. Most of it is sadly way above my head. It takes great pictures and videos and thinks for me and that is what I want.

Jeff

Thanks so much Jeff! Those are excellent suggestions and I really appreciate the time you are spending on this! I was dithering about the "right" card for the camera and you just made my life a lot easier! :)

Thanks so much Jeff! Those are excellent suggestions and I really appreciate the time you are spending on this! I was dithering about the "right" card for the camera and you just made my life a lot easier! :)

M,

I guess in a way ... this is where we came in!

I had that real concern when you talked about Old Betsy, in spite of how much she has served you well and she must be looked after well in retirement amd put snugly in her bag, you get to a time when when you do a one only thing when the memories of which might have to sustain you through later years, you need something that captures every single pixel. A camera in a bag isn't a pixel collector.

I want to see some crystal clear piuctures of you and Myster in Manly eating some crustaceans and perhaps some fish in batter at our favourite table (go in turn right and sit on a wall table) .... and open abottle of dry white frozen wine. And everywhere else. It's a precious trip. Probably the only one. Happy to bully you into buying a camera you never intended.

Jeff

This 'liars' game sometimes happens on board ship when one has to decide who's lying or telling the truth....can be good fun!

S

:D

Have I ever mentioned the time I went to see 2001 with one of the apes ......;) .... oh I think I did.

Or got thrown out of two empty restaurants with Status Quo .... and ended up in a Wimpy Bar and nearly bought a red Jag.

:mad:

Or lurched Lucien Freud and Francis Bacon and a Jeffrey Bernard and a few other ne're do wells to the Playboy club in Park Lane because Muriel Belcher was grumpy ...... and we didn't leave until cleaning up time ..... and the Playboy Club picked up the tab.

:o

Nostalgia isn't what it was. :cool:

:eek:

Jeff

You did not bully me into a new camera! I'm not that easily bullied! :) I was toying with the idea when we first dreamed about this trip. Your prompts simply solidified things for me! I have done my research, looked into other possiblities and I have made my independent assessment. The RX100 iii is my choice (and Myster agrees). He has visa card points that will cover it so he plans on placing the order today. It will take about a month for it to arrive so in the meantime I will get the kindle version of the book you suggested and start the learning. :) I am very excited about this.

You are absolutely correct about the need for photo evidence of this upcoming once-in-a-lifetime trip. We are pulling out all the stops because we want to enjoy this while we can. No one knows what the future holds and life is short!

I'm not sure Myster will allow his image to appear here but there will definitely be a picture taken from your favourite spot in Manly! Probably devouring Moreton Bay Bugs! :)

:D

Have I ever mentioned the time I went to see 2001 with one of the apes ......;) .... oh I think I did.

Or got thrown out of two empty restaurants with Status Quo .... and ended up in a Wimpy Bar and nearly bought a red Jag.

Or lurched Lucien Freud and Francis Bacon and a Jeffrey Bernard and a few other ne're do wells to the Playboy club in Park Lane because Muriel Belcher was grumpy ...... and we didn't leave until cleaning up time ..... and the Playboy Club picked up the tab.

Nostalgia isn't what it was. :cool:

Jeff

I don't know why but I have a feeling that none of those adventures was a fabrication. :)

So do we in the U.S., it's called The News.

YES!! Super great and funny line. Kind of true, also. More later, but busy now with our two grandsons in Charlottesville, Va. home of Jefferson and their University of Virginia here. Getting ready for Monday night number one Ohio State playing college football at Virginia Tech.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,207 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I don't know why but I have a feeling that none of those adventures was a fabrication.

None of them ... nor the others. What was sad was when I did fabricate really boring stuff ... they were believed. However ... I won.

Just took a few boring piccies with M3 of a nook in the overgrown garden and some food shots. Just point and shoot and in this particular situation not much better than Ipad. Except the Nikos Taverna piccy of the garden light last night which was pitch black and I couldn't even find the camera shoot button.

All could have been adjusted and made better ... you probably would. But for me it does the job.

Jeff

DSC02729.jpg

DSC02740.jpg

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

DSC02743.jpg

DSC02685.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

WOW J! Those pics are great! I love the night picture of the Taverna! Thanks for providing photo evidence of the camera's power. The zoom on the berries is amazing! Old Betsy could not come anywhere close to that crispness! And she would have a seizure trying! When Myster gets home from golf, I will show him these. And he will drool over your food pics! Ha Ha!

I took dozen of low or no light pictures last night and all were stunning. In fact with one light on much better, I uploaded that one because it was a single 5 watt light.

The berry pictures weren't zoomed. The camera was on auto. I put the lens against the berry and clicked and the camera worked out it was makro and took the picture,

Jeff

OK J, that is pure awesomeness! I am going to have soooooooo much fun with that camera! I can hardly wait! I just got Myster's golf score card for today in my email. 93 on a par 72. That is one of his better scores so he must be pleased with himself. Not home yet and must be having some lunch with the lads.

You did not bully me into a new camera! I'm not that easily bullied! I was toying with the idea when we first dreamed about this trip. Your prompts simply solidified things for me! I have done my research, looked into other possiblities and I have made my independent assessment. The RX100 iii is my choice (and Myster agrees). I am very excited about this. You are absolutely correct about the need for photo evidence of this upcoming once-in-a-lifetime trip. We are pulling out all the stops because we want to enjoy this while we can.

I am going to have soooooooo much fun with that camera! I can hardly wait!

Jeff's pictures with the new camera are looking good. Yes, today's technology makes it so much easier to capture visuals under lower-light conditions. In some cases, it can look better in your picture than what your eye saw in real life.

For mysty, YES, doing a decent range of practice ahead of your trip is very smart. These cameras in the auto or program setting will do most of the work and give you good to very good results. As I have noted earlier, you do not need a costly and/or fancy SLR camera to get very good results. Just like with an artist or cook, it is not always the quality of the paint brush or pots and pans that make the difference on the final painted canvas or with the gourmet meal results. It's more about the skill, attention to detail and interest of the camera user. It's digital!! Shoot lots of pictures. Sort out later the pictures you like most and/or fine-tune the best visuals on your laptop to straighten, crop better, etc.

One of my top tips or "rules" is to move closer! Zoom in, fill up the frame, try different, more interesting angles, etc. "Filling the frame" can add interest and detail. Nothing in pictures is more boring than "bland" backgrounds that distract attention away from the "stars" you are seeking to highlight and/or share.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 118,586 views for this posting.

Hi all.

Of interest is Sony camera.

This is the one I have been following, mainly because of the zoom capability.

Jeff,

Please let me know your impression.

JP,

Enjoy your trip!

Terry,

Have fun with the grandsons.

Since they live in Virginia I hope they have adopted the local school in the rivalry.

And how about those CANES!!

Mysty,

When do you get your camera?

And to all on upcoming cruises, please take us along too.

Thanks so much Terry! Your words of wisdom on tips for better photos are appreciated! Hopefully I will capture some magic moments! :)

YES, you'll catch lots of "magic moments"!!

Another key tip to remember is to check your results as you are taking your pictures. That kind of "monitoring of your progress" is another wonderful aspect of the "digital world" compared to the old "film" days. It is nice to see what is or is not "working" as you are snapping your shots.

Below are a few visuals from today in Virginia with a nice flower/plant, plus our one grandson doing a little fun playing at the park.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 54,010 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From today in Virginia, here is a nice flower/plant example, plus some of our one grandson doing a little fun playing at the park and running around with his mother. Aren't sticks great tools for boys to use for playing? Plus, from last weekend, here is the community orchestra playing at a concert near our Park of Roses in the neighborhood with the Gazebo setting there.:

Aug2015PixsA1_zpsffbw3vs9.jpg

Aug2015PixsA2_zpsuew5ilgv.jpg

Aug2015PixsA3_zpsap925lpa.jpg

Aug2015PixsA4_zpszg1ufnjr.jpg

Aug2015PixsA5_zpscnvo9xxm.jpg

Hi Spins,

The zoom is always going to be a compromise in a pocket camera compared with a bulky zoom lens and an SLR. In fact Sony on the Model 3 compared with the Model 2 made the lens slightly wider for even better landscaping. Having said that on the basis of my experience with the Model 1 it has never been a thought.

However on the plus side, wifey always hates having her piccy taken particularly as she matures like a fine wine, but on this camera you can set it to recognise "faces" and on another setting tell it that when it recognises a face to soften it to several different selectable degrees, just like pros do in the darkroom. I have taken a couple of selfies with wifey this evening and she loves the softening. It just softens the skin and leaves everything else sharp.

This means that for the first time a couple of wrinklies like wifey and me can have some piccies together generously shot.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi all.

Of interest is Sony camera.

This is the one I have been following, mainly because of the zoom capability.

Jeff,

Please let me know your impression.

JP,

Enjoy your trip!

Terry,

Have fun with the grandsons.

Since they live in Virginia I hope they have adopted the local school in the rivalry.

And how about those CANES!!

Mysty,

When do you get your camera?

And to all on upcoming cruises, please take us along too.

Hi spinnaker2! Not sure exactly when I will get it. It has been ordered with credit card points and it may take up to a month to arrive. On prompts from Jeff, I did some research and I really liked what I saw. I'll keep everyone informed once I get to play with it. I will definitely post pics from the upcoming cruise. Now that I have been properly tutored on how to actually post pics here (again thank you Professor), I indeed to share the journey! :)

However on the plus side, wifey always hates having her piccy taken particularly as she matures like a fine wine, but on this camera you can set it to recognise "faces" and on another setting tell it that when it recognises a face to soften it to several different selectable degrees, just like pros do in the darkroom. I have taken a couple of selfies with wifey this evening and she loves the softening. It just softens the skin and leaves everything else sharp.

This means that for the first time a couple of wrinklies like wifey and me can have some piccies together generously shot.

Jeff

Jeff, that is a brilliant feature! I will love it even if Myster drags his feet! :) Selfies with wrinkle removers! I'm in heaven! :)