Palma de Mallorca

ATC cruiser

Anyone gone all the way to the port? We leave at 4:00 and wondering on the timing.

Hi! If you're referring to (Puerto) Port de Soller, yes! I've done it twice. The second time we took the boat to Sa Calobra, as well. Just know your transportation options in advance and plan accordingly (download bus schedules, etc). On both trips we opted for the Express Bus back (I think it's only 1/2 hr). See this Thread for more: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1809061

I also want to pass along this older Thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821514 It has info on how to get from the port in Palma to the train & bus station.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by syesmar

I'm thinking of taking the scenic bus to the port and come back on the train. The bus starts earlier than the train. Perhaps stop on the way. The seaside town looks like a perfect place for lunch and a stroll. We'd have to manage our time carefully though. If we leave at 4 , we have to be back on the ship by 3.

Read your post with great interest. We will be in Palma on a cruise in November for the first time and have been trying to decide what to see and do. If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. From a fellow

Texan! :)

We've been to Soller twice on the old scenic train, and rode the bus back each time. We have also been to Valldemossa twice, each time taking the bus over and back. We are going to be in Palma again in April, and hope to visit another small village....not sure which one yet. There is a city bus that goes to be cruise port. I can't remember the number of it, but it also goes to the train/bus station. You get off when you get to Placa Espanya, and walk across the street to the train/bus station. The Soller train station is to the left of the regular train station. The train and bus station is below the city, so you will have to go down stairs to get to the trains and buses. Palma de Majorca is a beautiful city.

Another option in Palma is to go to the Cathedral. You can take the same port bus, but get off when it turns off the main road to head inland. Then you will have to walk a mile, or two, toward the church. It has beautiful stained glass windows. You have to go to a side entrance to get in...toward the back of the church on the left side facing it. There is a small charge to get in, but it is worth it. They don't allow you to take photos inside. Not far from the church is Passeig (sp.) de Born. It is a beautiful area where they sometimes have booths set up. You'll recognize it by the two lions on each side of the pedestrian area. There is also a McDonald's there, if case you need a restroom/coffee break. Palma is a beautiful city. You can just walk around and explore. Have a great time!

Edited by browneyes7

In Soller to take the bus back do you buy a ticket on a specific bus (in advance?) or is it a bus that runs periodically and you just catch the next bus when you are ready to head back?

We paid for the ticket when we got on the bus in Soller. The bus station/stop is several blocks distance from the main plaza in Soller. Just ask a local how to get to the bus stop. It was only about 2 euros a person when we did several years ago. There is a schedule posted at the bus stop. The buses run regularly back and forth.

Edited by browneyes7

We paid for the ticket when we got on the bus in Soller. The bus station/stop is several blocks distance from the main plaza in Soller. Just ask a local how to get to the bus stop. It was only about 2 euros a person when we did several years ago. There is a schedule posted at the bus stop. The buses run regularly back and forth.

Thanks, so it sounds like taking the train to Soller and the bus back is the way to go.

We've been to Soller twice on the old scenic train, and rode the bus back each time. We have also been to Valldemossa twice, each time taking the bus over and back. We are going to be in Palma again in April, and hope to visit another small village....not sure which one yet. There is a city bus that goes to be cruise port. I can't remember the number of it, but it also goes to the train/bus station. You get off when you get to Placa Espanya, and walk across the street to the train/bus station. The Soller train station is to the left of the regular train station. The train and bus station is below the city, so you will have to go down stairs to get to the trains and buses. Palma de Majorca is a beautiful city.

Another option in Palma is to go to the Cathedral. You can take the same port bus, but get off when it turns off the main road to head inland. Then you will have to walk a mile, or two, toward the church. It has beautiful stained glass windows. You have to go to a side entrance to get in...toward the back of the church on the left side facing it. There is a small charge to get in, but it is worth it. They don't allow you to take photos inside. Not far from the church is Passeig (sp.) de Born. It is a beautiful area where they sometimes have booths set up. You'll recognize it by the two lions on each side of the pedestrian area. There is also a McDonald's there, if case you need a restroom/coffee break. Palma is a beautiful city. You can just walk around and explore. Have a great time!

Thank you very much browneyes7. I was planning on taking the train to Soller

and I really appreciate your information on how to do this.

Just want to pass along a tip about the Port de Soller bus stop back to Palma. Between our first and second trips, it had changed locations. So be careful to make notes in your research to not completely rely on older information and to always ask in advance where the stop is, as others have mentioned.

Enjoy this beautiful island!

Edited by syesmar

The first time we went, we took the old scenic train there + tram and Express Bus back. The last time, we took the Express Bus both ways. It all depends on your schedule, plans and even the day of the week (schedules vary on weekends). I don't have the transportation links with me, but there's an official site online with all the schedules. Be sure to have the most recent one prior to your trip (schedules change seasonally).

Enjoy your cruise!