Review of Royal 7-20-8-1 UK cruise

sunshine nana

I wrote a review, but they seem to have skipped right over our cruise and they are now posting reviews of the 8-1 cruise. Was that because of the noro virus? We did not get it mainly because we never go to the buffet. Here is my review:

Pros: We really like mini-suite for the extra space, couch and bathroom. But the main plus on the Royal is the thick curtains separating the bed area from the living area and balcony. It was great for when one person gets up early or stays up late. It really was light proof and somewhat sound proof. I wish all ships had this.

The itinerary was great. We loved the Occupation Museum in Guernsey, the Beatles tour in Liverpool and the castles, countryside and towns in N. Ireland, Ireland and Scotland. We did 3 private tours and 3 Princess and all were very good. We did Dublin and Guernsey on our own.

We found a MDR room table for two in a quiet corner of Symphony with a great waitstaff and booked it every night. We ate in the MDR for lunch when it was open and used Alfredos or the International Café for other lunches when we were on the ship. We had coffee room service and ate breakfast in the MDR if we had time. We bought a wine card and could take the bottles back to our cabin. We thought the wine was overpriced.

Embarkation and disembarkation was easy and fast. We waited several hours to get all our luggage, but some was there quickly. All the meals were good.

Entertainment: The best show was the Beatles. We also enjoyed the local bands that played at sailaway. We were not impressed with the lip-singing singers or the solo acts. The classical quartet was good, but they should not have to play in bars where most people are talking really loudly. It ruined the concerts.

The staff was really overwhelmed when the virus hit. Some people were giving our steward a hard time, but we thought he was the best we had had in 12 cruises. He just did not have time to do all his regular work and keep up with the extra cleaning.

All in all, it was a great cruise, in our top 3 for sure. I'm not sure I would go on the Royal again, It was too large and the lack of a central stair was a real inconvenience. Many times, the elevators did not stop mid-ship and we would have to hurry to the front to use the stairs.

Any questions?

Edited by sunshine nana
spacing

Good, brief review, thank you. I am curious if you enjoyed the food?

I know the BI cruise is port intensive but isn't at least one of the MDRs, I think the one AFT, open on all Sea Days, I'm thinking Noon to 1:30 PM? Was it the same (static) luncheon menu?

We are boarding rather soon, and glad to hear you didn't contract Noro and the infection seems to be dying down.

I know the BI cruise is port intensive but isn't at least one of the MDRs, I think the one AFT, open on all Sea Days, I'm thinking Noon to 1:30 PM? Was it the same (static) luncheon menu?

It is usually the dining room on deck 6 near the atrium. Menu is different each day it is open.