No THE!!!!

Danno

"The" before GTS or MV or HMS is proper because it modifies GTS, MV or HMS. Ships names are proper names and ships have been treated as female for centuries. Ships take on a personality and old time sailors often felt they were alive.

Well, here's one place (bottom of the page) on the Celebrity website where they use the before the names of ships:

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Horizon casual dining is offered in the Coral Seas Cafe and on the Zenith, in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

So according to Al we are all right

True

We are all unique just like everyone else. :D

As long as the people we are communicating with understand what we are saying, this language is flexible enough to accept small variations in the nautical lingo.

Danno and the others got somethings correct - but, remember that the "ceiling" on a ship is called the "overhead", the floor on a ship is called the "deck," and the bathroom is called the "head" and the stairs on a Navy ship is called a "ladder". You have both "aft" and "stern" which describes the rear end of the ship, and "forward" or "bow" which describes the most forward part of the ship.

While you may think of Celebrity's vessels as "ships", they are properly called "Motor Vessels". Finally, on the issue of calling them "ships" or "boats", they really are as I mentioned properly described as Motor Vessels, and only submarines are called "boats".

Enough from the old sea dog :D

You have both "aft" and "stern" which describes the rear end of the ship, and "forward" or "bow" which describes the most forward part of the ship.

Enough from the old sea dog :D

Somebody once told me that forward and aft were directions and bow and stern were locations. :confused:

It's good to see everybody posting again. :)

... referring to various roads and highways as "the x,” ...

When recounting the route from our house to Grandma’s, he said, “OK, so I take the 102 to the 93 to the 495 to the 290 to the 90 to the 84 to the 15 to the 175 – right?” I wasn’t sure how to respond. Any suggestions?the chesterh

It seems to me that 'the' is being used to replace 'high-way' which has two syllables. In your example, using 'the' saved your speaker eight syllables. I guess time is money. Now, if someone wanted to reduce your example sentence's syllables even more, they could eliminate 'the' entirely, by saying:

take 102 to 93 to 495 to 290 to 90 to 84 to 15 to 175

which is okay if instructions were written out, or drawn on a map. Being hard of hearing, what I would hear is:

take one oh two to ninety-three to four ninety five to two ninety to ninety to eighty for two fifteen to one seventy five. After mixing up two's, to's and fours, my interpretation might be:
take 102, 293, 24, 95, 2290, 284, 215, 2175.

Correcting my confusion would waste more syllables. Sometimes economy doesn't meet expectations. I need a cruise! I suggest Infinity on October 9 :D

Correcting my confusion would waste more syllables. Sometimes economy doesn't meet expectations. I need a cruise! I suggest Infinity on October 9 :D

Wonderful. This would explain why sometimes more is less. But if I were to listen to that last statement, I didn't think that infinity had a beginning. But if infinity were to start, on what ship would you be cruising?

...take 102 to 93 to 495 to 290 to 90 to 84 to 15 to 175

which is okay if instructions were written out, or drawn on a map. Being hard of hearing, what I would hear is:

take one oh two to ninety-three to four ninety five to two ninety to ninety to eighty for two fifteen to one seventy five. After mixing up two's, to's and fours, my interpretation might be:
take 102, 293, 24, 95, 2290, 284, 215, 2175.

Offtune Angel, the opportunities for confusion are numerous. If you took 102 east, you'd find that it ended at 101 - going west would get you to 111, and a state of confusion (no 293 in sight). Personally, I'd drive back and forth forever - refusing to ask for directions. Or, I'd cross I-93 (which I say as "eye-ninety-three") so many times, I might be inspired to give it a try. That's when the trouble would begin...

It is possible to get to both 95 and 24 from 93, but one would cross 495 on the way. However, local pronunciation or 495 sounds like "far ninety-five" (actually, four is pronounced as "fah", as is "far"), so the inclination would be to go as far as possible to pick up 95). Taking either 24 or 95 would get you to Rhode Island - close, but no cigar. Might as well call Grandma and tell her you've decided to go the beach, instead.

Suppose you somehow made it to 90 (I-90, the Mass. Pike). The next target is 84 (I-84). If you heard "eighty-far", you'd find the relevant intersection somewhere near Elyria, Ohio. Given the price of gas, it is probably better to just stay home and use the telephone to reserve a cruise - maybe an infinite cruise on Millennium. Just make sure to let someone else do the driving...

All the best,

chesterh

Out here, you MUST be careful when giving directions.

"To 25" sounds just like "225". As it happens, we have interstates of both those numbers here.

Therefore, it's often critical to use the full expressions "to I-25" and "to I-225", being sure that "I" is always in there so as not to screw someone up horribly.

Similarly, "Road" can be critical. I-25 goes to the town of Parker. I-225 goes to Parker Road here in town.

Between the two, you can have someone in the wrong town altogether just trying to get them down I-225 to Parker Road.

Whadda mess.

OK, what popped into my head was "If I could save time in a bottle...." and now the blasted tune won't leave me alone.

Hi Andrew. I looked at your clock and thought "540 days! That's depressing" and then I realized WAIT A MINUTE, I'm on that cruise and have already been waiting more than 60 days which means my clock would have shown 600 if I had one. What sane person books that far ahead?

OK, what popped into my head was "If I could save time in a bottle...." and now the blasted tune won't leave me alone.

Hi Andrew. I looked at your clock and thought "540 days! That's depressing" and then I realized WAIT A MINUTE, I'm on that cruise and have already been waiting more than 60 days which means my clock would have shown 600 if I had one. What sane person books that far ahead?

Ask your wife.

Archived