What River Cruisers Don't Have to Worry About

Host Jazzbeau

How true is this? I note that prices go down significantly first of July and through August, but also noted that spring floods had everyone beached this year and now water is so low no one can travel again. Seems to me that catching it in the middle (late June, early July) would be a good bet.

I too, would be most dismayed to spend a couple thousand more to cruise, only to find that I am riding a bus and staying in a hotel.

Not to mention that it is light longer that time of year, so you can see what you are cruising by late into the evening. Where am I guessing wrong? Contemplating booking our first river cruise next year instead of staying on the ocean.

From following these boards a couple of years there really doesn't seem to be an absolute best time or absolute worse time. I booked my first River Cruise down the Rhine for July 2014 due to my work schedule and other factors. I then began to panic(overstated) as I read for a year about how hot and crowded it would be. But the week in mid July that we sailed the temps were in the high 70's to low 80's with nights in the 50's and 60's. It was beautiful. We especially loved that it was daylight till close to 10 pm. Maybe we were just lucky as this July was incredibly hot by all accounts. We didn't find the crowds overwhelming but in fairness we have nothing to compare it to. I am taking the advice of most for our Venice cruise next year and going in September. Here in Tennessee we have a saying, the only way to know what the weather is like is to look out the front door. I'm starting to think this is true in Europe as well. We are sailing the Danube in December so maybe we are just travelers who like the extremes-ha.

THIS!!!!! Why would anyone want to travel when it's 100 degrees???? I'll stick to lovely fall weather thank you very much!

Not to mention Low Water issues.....

Half of my river cruises have been in the middle of the summer and I never experienced 100 degrees. At home (AZ) yes but not in Europe. June and July are y favorites months mainly because of the long days of sunlight.

I think there are going to be pros & cons to ANY travel time, and we all have different priorities. There can't be a "best" under those circumstances.

I live in the South where it's hot; therefore I prefer to travel to cooler places when it is cool so I can experience more seasonal variations. I also don't have children and don't need to plan travel around school schedules and prefer to avoid the high seasons for travel (summer, Christmas week) to avoid crowds AND higher prices). Those are my reasons due to my priorities. We're all going to vary on this.

And yes, temps will vary dependent on where and when you are. I was very disappointed not to have snow last December;) But we weren't in the right spot at the right time. It happens.

Shmoo, some people are inconsiderate, selfish, boorish and ill-mannered. You can't avoid them you just have to accept that they're there and there's nothing you can do about it without stooping to their level. On river cruises they camp out by the dining room door so they get in first to grab the best table and on ocean liners they go to the pool at 6 a.m. and put towels and clothing on the best lounge chairs.:(

I don't think the comparisons are fair. I agree that it is extremely rude for someone to put towels on chairs that they don't plan to use until later; however, if a person wants a chair by the pool or a great dining room table and lines up in order to use it right away, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, unless they try to save chairs for anyone (other than just their spouse or a disabled companion).

Edited by Oceans&Rivers

Half of my river cruises have been in the middle of the summer and I never experienced 100 degrees. At home (AZ) yes but not in Europe. June and July are y favorites months mainly because of the long days of sunlight.

We are just back from France where we had temps over 100 every day. It was miserable. And very few places have A/C so there was no escape. That was my 2nd trip to Europe in summer. I was in Italy in July 11 years ago. Also utterly miserable.

Add to that the crowds and you can have summers in Europe. I will take fall and spring, as well as winter.

We are just back from France where we had temps over 100 every day. It was miserable. And very few places have A/C so there was no escape. That was my 2nd trip to Europe in summer. I was in Italy in July 11 years ago. Also utterly miserable.

Add to that the crowds and you can have summers in Europe. I will take fall and spring, as well as winter.

I am glad I decided on April then:D and a few folks said there may even

be a chill in the air:)

Edited by Lois R