Beaches in St. Maarten?

Hello everyone,

My family and I will be traveling to St. Maarten on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

The ship will be there from 10 am to 5 pm. We would like to visit a nice calm beach for snorkeling (!!) and just swimming in general. Thinking of going to Little Bay Beach of Great Bay Beach for that? Thoughts?

Then we would definitely like to visit Maho Beach to see some large aircrafts in the afternoon.

How should we get to Maho Beach? I've heard that there's a water taxi/bus option, or a taxi (family of 4, so what would be the price on that?)

Also, how much money does it cost to get onto the beaches themselves? And if it does cost money, what resort should we use to get onto the beach?

Sorry about the amount of questions! Just want to be thorough :)

Thanks in advance!!

Hello everyone,

My family and I will be traveling to St. Maarten on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

The ship will be there from 10 am to 5 pm. We would like to visit a nice calm beach for snorkeling (!!) and just swimming in general. Thinking of going to Little Bay Beach of Great Bay Beach for that? Thoughts?

Then we would definitely like to visit Maho Beach to see some large aircrafts in the afternoon.

How should we get to Maho Beach? I've heard that there's a water taxi/bus option, or a taxi (family of 4, so what would be the price on that?)

Also, how much money does it cost to get onto the beaches themselves? And if it does cost money, what resort should we use to get onto the beach?

Sorry about the amount of questions! Just want to be thorough :)

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Here is the link to the forum for St. Maarten.

...How should we get to Maho Beach? I've heard that there's a water taxi/bus option, or a taxi (family of 4, so what would be the price on that?) ...

I'm not aware of a water option to get to Maho. You can take a bus for $2 per person. Catch the bus on Back St., behind the courthouse. You can also take a taxi. A year ago the price for 4 was $9 per person.

We recently went to Maho beach from cruise terminal and was charged $9 per person and $8 per person back to the ship.

When you take taxi from terminal make sure you ask what taxi goes where as many are non stop to the beach you want to go.

I would be cautious about doing a different beach and then Maho for the planes. Traffic can be awful, getting to Maho and back in the afternoon after a different beach earlier could be challenging and time consuming. It may certainly be doable, but won't be relaxing or stress free......

We LOVE St. Martin, but it's not that easy to just grab a taxi and go where you want back and forth on a whim, traffic is often BAD...... :( We've been there many times including a week long vacation. For us now it's just hang out downtown, drink, dine, shop. We don't bother trying to go anywhere else.

I'm not aware of any water taxi to Maho, if it exists I'd love to know about it :)

Edited by bouhunter

I recently read that Maho Beach is no longer. Someone posted links on here on CC back in April when I booked my next cruise, that were local news clips stating that the beach at Maho would be closing because they are turning the beach into an extended runway for the incoming jets. I read this back in May and was under the impression that Maho Beach as we know it, would be gone by the time I cruise again in Nov. Just thought I'd mention it since the Jets coming in are the primary reason anyone goes to Maho. Might want to look into that so you don't waste a day going there only to find you cant stand on the beach and watch the jets come in.

Here is one of the articles I read back in April...

From the local paper, The Daily Herald:

MAHO--Maho Beach is to close its shores forever to the general public as of next week Monday, April 6, 2015.

Princess Juliana International Airport SXM will commence its much anticipated Phase 3 Project Extension to Runway 10 "Alpha-Foxtrot-Oscar-Oscar-Lima." The runway is to be lengthened by 500 metres, increasing its overall length by 20 per cent.

Maho Beach and Bay will consequently cease to exist, as a concrete retaining wall is planned across the area, to be completely backfilled with sand and dredged material from the Salt Pond, also in connection with the rising sea levels. In addition to the extended runway, 100 much needed private jet parking places will be created.

Beacon Hill Road to Sunset Bar & Grill must also close and a new passage will be constructed from Mary's Boon in Simpson Bay running along the beach and connecting to White Sands in Beacon Hill. A double security barb wired fence like used in US penitentiaries will run the whole perimeter of the new P3PE and will connect back through the soon to be demolished bar that has to move elsewhere.

<snip>

Best for snorkeling:

Day trip (there's plenty of charters) to Tintmarre, Pinel island, Creole Rock or Prickly pear (You can get to Pinel island via ferry as well).

Best snorkeling beaches without charters or ferrys:

Top choices

Corners of Friars Bay and Happy Bay (these are connected - you have to walk through a trail to get to happy bay though).

Baie Rouge north east corner (as soon as you enter from parking area - make a right).

Mullet Bay south corner (You can then wlak to Maho beach from here - 10-20 Min walk heading south though Maho Village).

Little Bay north east corner.

***Would NOT recommend Great Bay for snorkeling.

** Club Orient (nude section) of Orient Bay has beautiful snorkeling just off shore.

Edited by asteve5

I would be cautious about doing a different beach and then Maho for the planes. Traffic can be awful, getting to Maho and back in the afternoon after a different beach earlier could be challenging and time consuming. It may certainly be doable, but won't be relaxing or stress free......

We LOVE St. Martin, but it's not that easy to just grab a taxi and go where you want back and forth on a whim, traffic is often BAD...... :( We've been there many times including a week long vacation. For us now it's just hang out downtown, drink, dine, shop. We don't bother trying to go anywhere else.

I'm not aware of any water taxi to Maho, if it exists I'd love to know about it :)

I think Orient or Anse Marcel or Pinel Island combined with Maho leaves for a lot of time in a car. Mullet- Maho or Simpson- Bay to Maho are easily done. I love Maho but not for a whole day at a time.

My apologies...upon searching again for info on this closure I just found this. Sorry - apparently it was an April Fool's Joke....they got me GOOD....

http://thedailyherald.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=54584:many-people-taken-in-by-maho-april-fools-joke&Itemid=54

Hahaha, scared me for a moment there! :eek:

Best for snorkeling:

Day trip (there's plenty of charters) to Tintmarre, Pinel island, Creole Rock or Prickly pear (You can get to Pinel island via ferry as well).

Best snorkeling beaches without charters or ferrys:

Top choices

Corners of Friars Bay and Happy Bay (these are connected - you have to walk through a trail to get to happy bay though).

Baie Rouge north east corner (as soon as you enter from parking area - make a right).

Mullet Bay south corner (You can then wlak to Maho beach from here - 10-20 Min walk heading south though Maho Village).

Little Bay north east corner.

***Would NOT recommend Great Bay for snorkeling.

** Club Orient (nude section) of Orient Bay has beautiful snorkeling just off shore.

In combination with what another user said about traveling, I'm thinking that Mullet Bay beach is a better option for us. Does anyone know about the prices of getting onto the beaches themselves?

In combination with what another user said about traveling, I'm thinking that Mullet Bay beach is a better option for us. Does anyone know about the prices of getting onto the beaches themselves?

All beaches, both sides of the island, are public. No charge to enter.

There is, of course, a charge for services, like chairs, umbrellas, etc.

gary

Mullet Bay was really nice, just no facilities other than an porta potty. They do have food and drinks there and we thought they were reasonable. I have a complete review listed in my signature line with tons of photos if you are interested. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Last week there was no beach to stand on at Maho. It was just large rocks. There was a small sandy area by the Royal Islander Club. I had planned on going to Mullet Bay first but we got off the ship later than we planned.

10686754_10207088899758214_4254581612199685888_n.jpg?oh=73a3cd8f218fc56e3e55a519fa15361f&oe=56732D1E

Edited by dcgrumpy

Was planning on doing a quick looksie at Maho while there on Sep 5 after spending some time at Mullet Bay, but taxi driver told us just rocks as recent storms had washed the beach away. After having the most gorgeous day at Mullet Bay relaxing, we decided to spend more time there rather than at a beach (non beach) bar watching planes.

As for Mullet, loved it. We were the only ship in port that day so may have made a difference on the amount of people. When we got there about 9:30am, almost had the place to ourselves. That did change, but never so busy that we couldn't swim a little away. There is a bigger bank to walk down into the water, but you could go around to one end if needed or have a friend help. Only had 1 catamaran stop in while we were there for 5 hours and it stayed for less than an hour. Tropical drinks around $8, beer $3, and I forget what the burger cost. Nothing fancy, but lunch that day was so good just because of my beautiful view! Was able to snorkel a little when I wasn't just floating around. Headed back about 2:30, plenty of taxis and took about 45 min....a little longer than the morning. Mullet is about 5 min farther from Maho. Would go there again in a heartbeat as the water was just gorgeous.ImageUploadedByForums1442293885.419189.jpg.7896e2997a83d805d76ce1dae311e351.jpg

We always loved going here and watching the planes, sitting in the sand, snorkeling a bit, and having some beverages from the bar. Last time we were there they had starting placing the larger rocks to keep the road from washing away, now I see they have taken all the beach...bummer...

We'll have to go to Orient Beach this time and snorkel near the nude beach I guess. I'll miss the excitement of all the planes!!!

We always loved going here and watching the planes, sitting in the sand, snorkeling a bit, and having some beverages from the bar. Last time we were there they had starting placing the larger rocks to keep the road from washing away, now I see they have taken all the beach...bummer...

We'll have to go to Orient Beach this time and snorkel near the nude beach I guess. I'll miss the excitement of all the planes!!!

Check closer to your port day as the beach changes often at Maho. There was plenty of beach to enjoy in early August. Also Mullet is a great beach and it's an easy 15 minute walk to Maho from there. Many people spend the morning on the beach at Mullet and walk over to Maho around noon for some lunch, drinks and plane watching. If you like snorkelling head over to the left side of the beach at Mullet as you can find some fish over there near the rocks.

Edited by Karysa

You just never know what it's going to look like there with the condition of the water going in and out all day. We have been there twice and each time it was different. So I wouldn't rule out saying that it's all rocks now.

Here's a time we went in September, there was still some sand, but also a lot of the rocks were exposed:

IMG_1648-L.jpg

Here's a time we went in May and the sand was all the way up to the road:

P5200044-L.jpg