Calling home - do they get charged?

We have Verizon and purchased a talk, text, data package for our upcoming cruise. Verizon rep mentioned that even though we won't be charged per text or call, the person at home might. If we want to call or text someone who has AT & T, does anyone know if she will get charged for our incoming call or text?

Do they charge to both make and receive a call in the USA?

Yes and incoming text. If I text my wife we are basically paying twice for it except we have a package.

I've never heard of an incoming call being charged long distance though. Their calls to the OP may be charged long distance even if the area code is local.

We have Verizon and purchased a talk, text, data package for our upcoming cruise. Verizon rep mentioned that even though we won't be charged per text or call, the person at home might. If we want to call or text someone who has AT & T, does anyone know if she will get charged for our incoming call or text?

It depends on what kind of plan the receiving person has. If they are on a prepaid plan, yes, any text or calls will be charged against their account. If they have any kind of monthly plan, they will likely not incur any charges.

Yes and incoming text. If I text my wife we are basically paying twice for it except we have a package.

I've never heard of an incoming call being charged long distance though. Their calls to the OP may be charged long distance even if the area code is local.

At one stage some calls here in Aus it charged to both make and receive but not aware of any like that anymore, may I ask how much you each pay per text if you don't have a package.

Most cell phone plans in the US include unlimited texts and either unlimited calls or a set number of minutes per month. Yes they will be charged, but if they have a plan like that, then the texts and mins are just "Charged" against the plan. Basically if it doesn't cost them actual $ to receive your text or call when you normally call them, then calling from the ship or abroad will be no different.

Basically, the answer is that the person in the USA who receives your calls or texts placed while you are on the ship or our of the country is not charged any more than they would be if you made the same call or text while you were in the USA. If that person pays a per-minute or per-message charge to receive calls from you when you are in the USA, then the same charge will apply. If that person has a plan with a pre-set or unlimited number of calls or messages, then your call from the ship will simply be another on of those, just as if you made the call or text while you were in the USA. Only you making the call or text from the ship will pay anything additional.

EDIT: The same applies to that person in the USA calling you while you are on the cruise. The USA caller will pay their normal rates as if calling you in the USA. You will pay the international roaming fees for receiving the call/text on your phone. Just another thing to note is that if you place calls or texts from the ship to another guest on the ship, then you are both going to pay these international roaming fees since both of you are using the international cell towers.

Edited by rudeney

The person making the call is always the person that pays. The receiver, would only pay if they have a phone or rate plan that states they pay for incoming items. They would know, and would not affect you.

If the other person wants to call you, in theory, the could be charged for an out of network call, at their going rate since they are calling out of their service area. It is an international call.

At one stage some calls here in Aus it charged to both make and receive but not aware of any like that anymore, may I ask how much you each pay per text if you don't have a package.

If you don't have a plan, or exceed your plan allowance, I have seen text overage charged from $0.10 (DW's Verizon account) to $0.25 (my Verizon account) to $0.50 (FIL's net10 prepaid).

Most cell phone plans in the US include unlimited texts and either unlimited calls or a set number of minutes per month. Yes they will be charged, but if they have a plan like that, then the texts and mins are just "Charged" against the plan. Basically if it doesn't cost them actual $ to receive your text or call when you normally call them, then calling from the ship or abroad will be no different.

I wouldn't say "most". While new plans from the major carriers include unlimited voice and text, any of us on old plans or prepaid are not unlimited.

It is true that incoming calls are only charged for minutes, not long distance.

I have another theory that the Verizon rep was just ignorant. It wouldn't surprise me.

If the other person wants to call you, in theory, the could be charged for an out of network call, at their going rate since they are calling out of their service area. It is an international call.

It's not an international call - it's a call to whatever area code the cell number has and they would get charged accordingly. The receiving party pays the international part (in this case the ship board rate).