Carry Passports around Istanbul... Necessary?

We're staying in Istanbul for 3 days before a 7-day cruise.

In Rick Steve's Istanbul guide book it says: "You are required to have proof of identity with you at all times in Istanbul and may be asked to show your passport when entering sites or using your credit card."

We normally do not carry around passports when in Europe or the Caribbean... Just our USA driver's license. Is it necessary to carry your passport in Istanbul? Or is a driver's license sufficient?

And how many of you folks keep your passport with you when walking around town?

Edited by Gbear12

We have been to Istanbul several times (including multi-night hotel stays) and never carry our Passports (which remain locked in our hotel safe). We do carry ID (usually our drivers license) and also take a copy of our main Passport page. My forty+ years of extensive travel experience has taught me I would rather deal with the authorities without my Passport then have to deal with the chance of having my Passport lost or stolen :). There are others here on CC who will disagree.

Hank

In Rick Steve's Istanbul guide book it says: "You are required to have proof of identity with you at all times in Istanbul…"

This part of the advice is not specific to Turkey. In many countries, whenever you are out in public, you are supposed to carry documents that establish your identity and your legal presence in the country, with potentially unpleasant consequences if you are caught without papers. That is the rule, but I suppose the chances of being stopped for a random identity check are typically very low.

As for the second part of the advice, I have never been asked to show my passport in Turkey to get into tourist sites. If you are visiting some sensitive places (government/military areas, some Jewish sites under protection), I guess you will need your documents. I don't recall ever having to show my passport for a credit card payment (except maybe at hotels, where you have to show your passport anyway).

I would suggest you do whatever you do when traveling in other countries. I don't think there is anything particular about Istanbul/Turkey in this respect for a short-term visitor. So do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

This part of the advice is not specific to Turkey. In many countries, whenever you are out in public, you are supposed to carry documents that establish your identity and your legal presence in the country, with potentially unpleasant consequences if you are caught without papers. That is the rule, but I suppose the chances of being stopped for a random identity check are typically very low.

As for the second part of the advice, I have never been asked to show my passport in Turkey to get into tourist sites. If you are visiting some sensitive places (government/military areas, some Jewish sites under protection), I guess you will need your documents. I don't recall ever having to show my passport for a credit card payment (except maybe at hotels, where you have to show your passport anyway).

I would suggest you do whatever you do when traveling in other countries. I don't think there is anything particular about Istanbul/Turkey in this respect for a short-term visitor. So do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Since we've never been to Turkey I thought there might be something different about that area. But I suppose the guide book is just being extra-cautious. So we'll just carry our US drivers' licenses and a copy of our passport front page like we've always done.

I find that if I am shopping for expensive items for which I am planning to request a VAT refund it is helpful to have my Passport. Shops like Chanel or Hermes for example will fill out the forms and request a passport. Have never tried using a copy nor do I know if I can just take the form with me and fill out myself. The dollar is so strong in Turkey there could be some great buys on luxury goods and you could carry your passport just on the day you plan to go to those shops.

There is no need to carry passports with you.

As Hank said some other ID is a good idea.

We leave them locked in our safe if at a Hotel or on the ship.

Why?

Because we believe that there is a much higher chance that our passports could be lost or stolen than any benefit to carrying them.

In all our time to Europe spanning 30+ years, there was only one time where we were asked for ID and one of those was at a currency exchange store and we didn't have it with us.

Of course you need your passport to check into a hotel but once checked in we lock it safely in our safe.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

We were told we needed photo ID when in Canada in early June. We just took photo copies of our passports and our bus passes with us as they have colour photos.

All UK people over 65 have bus passes and they are great for ID in coutries where you need photo ID, but do not need passports - nice to not have to risk a driving licence. They were checked at every Canadian port and no problems.

Edited by tring