Silhouette entertainment feedback

asmith19

Does anyone have feedback on the entertainment/ events on the Silhouette? We were on the Reflection in Jan/ Feb and found that the Cruise Director (Alexander Y.) and entertainment staff did an excellent job with exotic pop-up clubs, updated games, flash mob, concerts in bed by the pool, etc. It was clear that there was a lot of energy put into making the trip fun. It didn't feel like the 1990's, even if it is what they do every trip. The music wasn't outdated, either-- no electric slide!

I saw Arno's excellent list of "Who's on Board?" but don't know anything about the groups or what the event programming is like. Thank you in advance for any feedback, especially any comparisons to the Reflection!

Does anyone have feedback on the entertainment/ events on the Silhouette? We were on the Reflection in Jan/ Feb and found that the Cruise Director (Alexander Y.) and entertainment staff did an excellent job with exotic pop-up clubs, updated games, flash mob, concerts in bed by the pool, etc. It was clear that there was a lot of energy put into making the trip fun. It didn't feel like the 1990's, even if it is what they do every trip. The music wasn't outdated, either-- no electric slide!

I saw Arno's excellent list of "Who's on Board?" but don't know anything about the groups or what the event programming is like. Thank you in advance for any feedback, especially any comparisons to the Reflection!

We were on the Sil this past July (British Isles) and the entertainment was basically void.

Some lame English singer who was married to the golf Pro Steve Perry and a 3rd rate Scottish bagpipe ensemble when we were in Edinburgh.

If you want entertainment you need to find another ship.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

We were on the Silhouette Aug 8-22.Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder,lol We thought the British gal--Jayne Curry that was married to the golfer was pretty good. Lets see who else was there..Philip Browne, so-so. Chas Burnett, did not goto it.Velocity, which was the Silhouette dancers. Jon Courtenay, did not go. Justino & Daniela's Extreme Vegas--extreme boring. Ukebox, actually quite interesting! The Celtic dancers they had on in Dublin were great. We don't really expect much from the shows, so maybe that's why we somewhat enjoyed them. Helps having a rum/coke in ones hand as well,lol

Cruise director was Damian..from Toronto Canada. Activities director, Racheal from the UK

"Cruise director was Damian..from Toronto Canada."

You're only going to see Damian twice while onboard, on Celebrity TV (hawking watches and spa packages) in your room and the morning you disembark.

I had on my Calgary Flames pull over and we talked Toronto Blue Jays baseball for a bit, then he just abruptly left, was kind of odd......

Edited by flames9

I was about to post a question about this subject when I noticed your post. I will be on my first Celebrity cruise next June on the Silhouette to the Baltic capitols. I have been on 4 NCL cruises with my girlfriend and she was on 9 Celebrity cruises before that. She says the food on Celebrity is better but the entertainment doesn't even come close to what was on the NCL ships. Mostly Las Vegas type shows performed by crew members plus some singers and a comedian. Is this true?

I was about to post a question about this subject when I noticed your post. I will be on my first Celebrity cruise next June on the Silhouette to the Baltic capitols. I have been on 4 NCL cruises with my girlfriend and she was on 9 Celebrity cruises before that. She says the food on Celebrity is better but the entertainment doesn't even come close to what was on the NCL ships. Mostly Las Vegas type shows performed by crew members plus some singers and a comedian. Is this true?

yep,pretty much it! We still enjoyed them..set the bar low,lol

Hi

On Silhouette in January 2015 found the entertainment did a 180 -- we loved it.

I can't remember all the acts and don't know how to transfer the link but I did write a detailed review in Jan "Am I Blu?"

I'll try

Started with sailaway in top lounge with Latin music and fun dancers

The house band Solstise was very good - had all ages rockin in atrium

One act was singer/dancer Soloman Jaye - excellent. Comedian from Last Comic Standing Balan funny

Voices and dancers in shows super talented new costumes surpassed expectations

Now I've raised my expectations

New shows are starting

Saw a video

Looks good

The particular cruise director makes a huge difference -- can't remember who ours was in jan but loved Sue denning on another sailing.

Now if only they would change up the dining menus [emoji41]

The Lavazza coffee is a good start

Happy sailing.

Edited by true45

Hi

On Silhouette in January 2015 found the entertainment did a 180 -- we loved it.

I can't remember all the acts and don't know how to transfer the link but I did write a detailed review in Jan "Am I Blu?"

I'll try

Started with sailaway in top lounge with Latin music and fun dancers

The house band Solstise was very good - had all ages rockin in atrium

One act was singer/dancer Soloman Jaye - excellent. Comedian from Last Comic Standing Balan funny

Voices and dancers in shows super talented new costumes surpassed expectations

Now I've raised my expectations

New shows are starting

Saw a video

Looks good

The particular cruise director makes a huge difference -- can't remember who ours was in jan but loved Sue denning on another sailing.

Now if only they would change up the dining menus [emoji41]

The Lavazza coffee is a good start

Happy sailing.

Thanks, true45! I got some skepticism from posters on another thread citing many years of Celebrity sailings hinting that they thought these things didn't happen. I guess they thought I lost my mind!

We were on the Silhouette from Stockholm on May 28. Richard Spacey was the CD then and he was funny. The "headliners" were so so..a pianist we skipped after his first night preview, a very young blonde British singer who I think was finishing up her contract and heading home--great voice with no clue how to use it and Jayne Curry, the Brit singer married to Steve Perry. We enjoyed her. There was also a Circ type show that was very good. The other bands on board were just so so but we were doing 10 port days (2 were over nights) and just two sea days so entertainment was not high on our list.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope Alejandro T will be back on Sil. At holiday time in December. We had him in 2012 k he was a hoot with the kids and captain A. (I can't spell his name).

Alejandro T. Was CD on Constellation for April 2015 TA. What a wonderful cruise director. We have been on 22 cruises and he was one of the best. Always around, very hardworking, at all elite functions asking for feedback. Probably one of the most fun cruises.

We are on Silhouette in a few weeks and our expectations are low so hopefully we will be suprised! CD has a big influence on atmosphere of the cruise.

Alejandro T. Was CD on Constellation for April 2015 TA. What a wonderful cruise director. We have been on 22 cruises and he was one of the best. Always around, very hardworking, at all elite functions asking for feedback. Probably one of the most fun cruises.

We are on Silhouette in a few weeks and our expectations are low so hopefully we will be suprised! CD has a big influence on atmosphere of the cruise.

Why are your expectations low and why book a cruise with low expectations when they are so many other choices on other ships and cruise lines?

Why are your expectations low and why book a cruise with low expectations when they are so many other choices on other ships and cruise lines?

Hello Kugamuga,

Probably should have been clearer I was stating that my expectations for the entertainment are low.

We usually book a cruise because of itinerary, timing and price. We keep returning to Celebrity as we think that we are getting good value for the money but sometimes the entertainment has been really cheesy. The blond singer mentioned above, the opera singer who loved showing off her mastery of Chinese, most of the broadway hommages!

But, they are getting better. MiamiDJ's at the Martini Bar, Mermaids and Cirque in the Solarium, Prohibition party. Seems like they are trying to innovate. I don't even mind them converting discothèque into a conference center, just have a good DJ and night-club . They seem to turn into a pumpkin after midnight!

We do an annual holiday cruise with the kids, cousins, brothers, parents. 20of us between ages 14-72..

We have been loyal to Celebrity for the drink package, free internet, free laundry, etc but this upcoming holiday cruise on reflection may be the last.

Just returned from a Med cruise with young adult son. We reluctantly booked our first cruise with NCL because of timing, itinerary and pricing. Felt disloyal but Son needed to be back to school and last minute so nothing available with Celebrity or RCL.... We both loved it. Food, itinerary and entertainment. He always found some thing to do.

I Will miss the elegance of Celebrity but unless upcoming holiday cruise entertainment has at least a few things for young adults, we will need to reconsider.

Hope this explains my comment.

We've just done B2B on Constellation and Alejandro was a wonderful CD - agree with all you say about him. However, he has now returned to Argentina (that alone should bring a smile to the faces of those who have experienced his performances :D) for a vacation and did say that he will not be going to the Constellation on his return.

Such fun, and such a great team. Peter was good too as Activities Manager.

We were on the Silhouette from Stockholm on May 28. Richard Spacey was the CD then and he was funny. The "headliners" were so so..a pianist we skipped after his first night preview, a very young blonde British singer who I think was finishing up her contract and heading home--great voice with no clue how to use it and Jayne Curry, the Brit singer married to Steve Perry. We enjoyed her. There was also a Circ type show that was very good. The other bands on board were just so so but we were doing 10 port days (2 were over nights) and just two sea days so entertainment was not high on our list.

Couldn't agree more. The itinerary of the 28th May cruise on the Silhouette (Baltic Cruise) was port intensive and we rarely had the energy to go to the shows. Having said that, they managed to get a Russian group the night we were in St.P and they were outstanding. I only saw the Silhouette theater full that night and they were given a standing ovation.

Been on the Silhouette thrice in the past 3 years and we've had 3 different CDs and different experiences.

2013 - CD Alejandro - absolutely brilliant - excellent entertainment.

2014 - CD Damian - underwhelmed, hardly ever saw him.

2015 - CD Richard Spacey - good - threw one hell of a 70s party.

Couldn't agree more. The itinerary of the 28th May cruise on the Silhouette (Baltic Cruise) was port intensive and we rarely had the energy to go to the shows. Having said that, they managed to get a Russian group the night we were in St.P and they were outstanding. I only saw the Silhouette theater full that night and they were given a standing ovation.

Been on the Silhouette thrice in the past 3 years and we've had 3 different CDs and different experiences.

Ooooh fudge, Damian is on Silhouette for my upcoming cruise. Hopefully, Gemma Doyle and the pianist will have left...love Jayne Curry. On the bright side, it is a port intensive cruise...

Alejandro's mother must be thrilled to have her good-looking son home!! Hope he will be on Reflection over the holidays...

Oh fudge, same experience here and I will be on Silhouette in a few weeks. Hopefully, Gemma and pianist will have left by then.

On the bright side, port intensive cruise.

Well deserved vacation for Alejandro, I really hope that he will be on Reflection for our Holiday cruise. Imagine the energy after he has rested and spent a few months with Mama in Argentina!

• 7 months later...

Hi, when you say Russian group. what do you mean? We are contemplating a 'proper show' in St Petersburg for apprx $200 per person but if there is a good performance on board we would be happy to see that instead.

We were on the Sil this past July (British Isles) and the entertainment was basically void.

Some lame English singer who was married to the golf Pro Steve Perry and a 3rd rate Scottish bagpipe ensemble when we were in Edinburgh.

If you want entertainment you need to find another ship.

We were on the Silhouette in December and saw Jayne Curry for the third time and thought she was terrific. At that time she announced that she was signed an exclusive contract for 2016 with Celebrity. We were on the Silohuette last week and Jayne was there again. This time she announced that Celebrity has signed her through 2017. Some people must like her. She has gotten standing ovations every time we saw her and is one of the few guest entertainers we would pay extra to see.

We just completed a Silhouette TA so we got a good taste of the entertainment. It ranged from fab to awful. Mostly just fine for our taste. The house band was very good. The band that backs up the singers and dancers was fantastic. The ship board dancers and singers were very good and put on shows we enjoyed. They are not on par with Blue Man or Broadway but lend to a nice evening of dinner and a show. I liked the additional entertainers with the exception of one awful magician who featured technology that did not work. Embarrassing to watch. Our CD Paul was hard working and all over the place. Enjoyed ourselves.