Suggestions from experienced transatlantic cruisers

Good advice from everyone on being prepared for cool to cold weather--layering works. We've done 3 TA's, all in April, and temps have varied from high 50's to 70's while on the cruise. Once in Europe, 70ish was more the norm.

But, when we visited Rome the last few days in April after a TA, it was extremely hot--at least 90 degrees, so do be prepared for some warm and hot weather as well. I about died in my oh so fashionable black pants and top the first day we were there--was unfashionable but much cooler the other days in capris and a tank top, carrying a short sleeved shirt to cover arms when needed for churches.

• 1 month later...
Would you all recommend the same type of outfits for a fall TA?

Yes.

I have only been on two TAs (westbound in November, eastbound in June) so no "expert" either but you really can't go wrong with layering. Not layering as you would for a hiking trip in northern Norway in January but layering like taking a city trip to central Europe in fall or spring. Anita Latte's suggestions are what I would also suggest.

Our November TA (Southampton to Miami on Eclipse) had mediocre weather the first few days. Long pants, long sleeved top / sweater and warm jacket for open decks weather (I'd guess 40s and rain). As someone mentioned earlier, they did supply blankets instead of towels at the pool. After passing the Azores weather got much nicer and we had temperatures in the 70s for maybe the last half of the trip. There was a lot of sunbathing going on in the end (we did have a few stops in the Caribbean though).

Our June TA (NYC to Hamburg) also had... blah weather. Maybe (low) 50s? With rain and wind. The main problem on deck really was the wind. I ended up buying a hoodie jacket on board - partly as a souvenir, partly as an additional layer. I did not bring my fleece which was in the end a mistake but I didn't think I would need it. It was pretty much impossible to take a stroll on deck after dinner without returning to the cabin and getting a coat or (best) changing into pants.

The temperature inside will be similar to what you are used to. You want to be able to add a layer when going on deck and you want to be able to get rid of that additional layer when you come back inside.

If you have a wind- and waterproof jacket, even if it's lightweight, that you can layer with a top / tshirt, blouse / light sweater, hoodie / cardigan you will be fine. If you bring some kind of scarf (pashmina) and maybe a thin(ish) pair of gloves you should be all set.

If you like wearing skirts, you might want to add leggins or tights, as previously suggested. With long pants or jeans you might already be okay, unless you freeze easily (I bike to work with just jeans, no additional layer in 10/15F weather...). Same for undershirt / sweater and windbreaker. Again, unless you already wear that if it's in the 70s :D

What you want to bring is closed shoes. Nothing worse than having wet feet. My mom would be fine in pumps and a pantyhose, as long as they have closed toes, while that wouldn't cut it for me (I need at least sneakers and socks) and DH would still be fine in sandals.

You can well ignore the advice to dress in neutrals, same as crystalspin. It's not as if anybody in Europe cares (or as if you should care if they care) and there really is no need to buy new clothes in colors you will never wear again. Wear what you like and feel comfortable in. It's also not true that all 742 million Europeans from Portugal to Hungary and Finland to Greece always dress in neutrals. Tourists always stand out.

Temperatures and weather will highly depend on "luck" and the route you take. The Med can have warm weather in both spring and fall (Crete just recently had temperatures in the high 70s or so I was told). Iceland in April... tends to be far from that ;) If your TA has ports on its way you want to research typical weather conditions for those ports and pack accordingly - for northern itineraries you add a fleece and hat, for southern itineraries you add shorts and sandals.

I just have to figure out how to take what I need without 2 huge suitcases.

For daytime, I'd pack (or wear one on travel day and pack another) stylish warm up suits. I'm not talking about anything that looks too athletic, although there's really no reason you couldn't take something athletic looking, but stylish knit pants and matching hoodie. Then take a couple of tanks and a couple of short and long sleeved tees to layer underneath. Add a decent all weather jacket and a scarf, and take sneakers and flip flops. Add a pair of shorts or skort (or two) for days when it's particularly warm. Just keep rotating all of these pieces for daytime. You should end up with plenty of casual, comfortable, layer-able combinations to get you through. Have laundry sent out midway through if necessary. All of this should not take up much room in your suitcase, leaving plenty of room for a few dressier bottoms and mix and match tops to wear in the evenings.

I get the layering thing, but leggings under pants? I reserve that for the dead of winter when the temp is -5F. Haha!

It depends on what one is used to. For people from hot weather climates, 60 degrees can feel like it's freezing out. Layering a pair of light weight leggings or tights under a pair of summer weight pants can allow the same pair of pants to do double duty in either hot weather or chilly weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my favorite layered outfit after 4 TAs is a short sleeve polo shirt under a 1/4 or half zip nicer sweatshirt or fleece, trouser style jeans, cotton crew socks and my Sperry boat shoes. I save packing space by wearing my sweatshirt on the flight to the departure city and have a small patterned neck scarf to dress it up if going directly to the ship. A white polo collar over the top of the larger brighter or black half zip looks great and on a port day the half zip is easy to remove. Since all are washable including the fleeces you really only need 1 on most cruises unless chilly weather really is expected and the polos can be paired to slacks, shorts and casual skirts.

I totally agree about bringing a rain proof jacket. I just bought a new one for the ends of an Arctic cruise in August that I found at Lands End. It even has a velcro'd zipper cover so no rain penetrates. Very lightweight for packing and can handle layering if needed. It also comes in black and a longer version. Thankfully the cruise line is supplying parkas once actual cold weather hits.

I am on that TA also. I looked up all the ports , mid 60s for daily high on all. Can be wet in Europe in April. Usually many Europeans on TAs. They dress conservatively in darker clothes.You will not see many jeans on Celebrity, but skinny jeans prevail on shore in France and Italy. Worn by skinny Europeans of course.

I am on that TA also. I looked up all the ports , mid 60s for daily high on all. Can be wet in Europe in April. Usually many Europeans on TAs. They dress conservatively in darker clothes.You will not see many jeans on Celebrity, but skinny jeans prevail on shore in France and Italy. Worn by skinny Europeans of course.

Actually, since Celebrity has relaxed their dress requirements there seem to be a lot of jeans onboard ...

Great info - thanx!

We are on a TA in Nov on Celebrity....spending a week in Italy before - I am pretty comfortable about what I will take - especially after reading this thread but need to dress DH.

He is a jeans kind of guy - real jeans - plain old levis! He will probably fly in jeans - but while we are in Italy, Provence, Barcelona, and Mallorca should he ditch the jeans and go for Khakis and Chinos? He wears button-downs with his jeans and sweaters....no sweatshirts thank goodness.

The real battle will be convincing him to take his Trench Coat and not just a jacket!

Thanx .... Trish

I think my favorite layered outfit after 4 TAs is a short sleeve polo shirt under a 1/4 or half zip nicer sweatshirt or fleece, trouser style jeans, cotton crew socks and my Sperry boat shoes. I save packing space by wearing my sweatshirt on the flight to the departure city and have a small patterned neck scarf to dress it up if going directly to the ship. A white polo collar over the top of the larger brighter or black half zip looks great and on a port day the half zip is easy to remove. Since all are washable including the fleeces you really only need 1 on most cruises unless chilly weather really is expected and the polos can be paired to slacks, shorts and casual skirts.

I totally agree about bringing a rain proof jacket. I just bought a new one for the ends of an Arctic cruise in August that I found at Lands End. It even has a velcro'd zipper cover so no rain penetrates. Very lightweight for packing and can handle layering if needed. It also comes in black and a longer version. Thankfully the cruise line is supplying parkas once actual cold weather hits.

I hadn't even thought about my Sperry's! Thanks for the idea!

We leave on April 9th but I still haven't wrapped my head around what to take. 60's is cold for me, not freezing but cold. I've lived in South Fl my whole life. :)

I will be on my first transatlantic cruise April 2016 with stops in Canary Islands, Spain, France and ending in Rome where we will stay an extra 2 or 3 days. I need help with packing suggestions, what type of clothes to take? How did you pack to account for weather and the length of the trip? I'm from South Florida so the 60's is cold for me. Thanks! :)

As a fellow Floridian and just back from northern Laos and Vietnam,

I can tell you that my L.L. Bean PrimaLoft jacket was the best purchase I have ever made. Lightweight, compressible, warm, and cuts wind. I added a large pashmina type scarf which I spread over my legs on a particularly cool boat ride. I will take both with me on my summer Baltic cruise!

It snowed in Barcelona this week, but it will warm up in April. The jacket won't weigh down a suitcase and take up no space at all. Just my thoughts.

Great info - thanx!

We are on a TA in Nov on Celebrity....spending a week in Italy before - I am pretty comfortable about what I will take - especially after reading this thread but need to dress DH.

He is a jeans kind of guy - real jeans - plain old levis! He will probably fly in jeans - but while we are in Italy, Provence, Barcelona, and Mallorca should he ditch the jeans and go for Khakis and Chinos? He wears button-downs with his jeans and sweaters....no sweatshirts thank goodness.

The real battle will be convincing him to take his Trench Coat and not just a jacket!

Thanx .... Trish

I've seen jeans everywhere in Europe--more jeans than khakis. He should be fine. Dark wash jeans are more prevalent. I think they are fine for sightseeing.

Jeans are more favored than khakis among Europeans. Whenever I've been in Europe, seems it is mostly Americans who wear khakis.