Walking - Brooklyn Red Hook to Subway

srpilo

I know I've seen on CC in the past but can't find it...

I'd like to walk from Brooklyn cruise terminal to the nearest Subway station, which I believe is Smiths - 9th st. on the F train

Any directions and apox time needed to walk is appreciated

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

We sometimes shop at the "nearby" Ikea & had driven past the CT/pier - not the best places to work around dragging rollers or spinners. Is it safe to work, yes it is perfectly fine, but ...

Walk from the F subway station is a little over a mile, 15+ long city blocks - 30 minutes walk time (more with luggage in tow) It will get you a big workout, free. Google Earth will give you a 3D perspective overhead of the neighborhood - some blocks are all commercial and vacant/unoccupied.

As info indicated, if you riding the subway already, the transfer to the bus is free & will you a lot closer - still four (4) long city blocks to get to the pier. Better yet, get a local car service/green (metered) taxi @ the subway stations for the ride over, $15 or under - tipping included.

http://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/directions/

Here's the route from the Red Hook terminal to the subway station, with directions, via Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.6819208,-74.0144839/40.6745464,-73.99736/@40.6787045,-74.005994,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

(Approximately 1.2 miles; 25 minutes or so, depending on your pace.)

You can also take a B61 bus from Van Brunt & King Streets and alight at 9th & Smith:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Van+Brunt+St+%26+King+St,+Brooklyn,+NY+11231/Brooklyn,+NY+11231/@40.6751959,-74.0129816,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a8a24d16adf:0x6e3518980cc26bed!2m2!1d-74.011679!2d40.678394!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25af6e2168601:0x6590f5551e77aa72!2m2!1d-73.9977726!2d40.6747399!3e3

Or, alternatively, take a B61 (going in the opposite direction, toward downtown Brooklyn) from Van Brunt & Pioneer Streets to Smith & Livingston Streets:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Van+Brunt+St%2FPioneer+St/Smith+St+%26+Livingston+St,+Brooklyn,+NY+11201/@40.6865517,-74.0017004,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a8a6c58674f:0x9546d385d6420c78!2m2!1d-74.010727!2d40.679115!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a4c16f420dd:0xb7b2c3a0fa8f934a!2m2!1d-73.9878747!2d40.6904832!3e3

--and then walk a few short blocks to the Borough Hall subway station to catch the 2 or 3 train into Manhattan:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Smith+St+%26+Livingston+St,+Brooklyn,+NY+11201/Borough+Hall/@40.6922623,-73.9883763,17z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a4c16f420dd:0xb7b2c3a0fa8f934a!2m2!1d-73.9878747!2d40.6904832!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a496a2b125d:0xcaa1f7f27148d02f!2m2!1d-73.989998!2d40.693219!3e2

That is our preferred route for traveling between Red Hook and Manhattan. By the way, note that there are also a couple of other subway stations near Smith & Livingston: Another Borough Hall entrance for the 4 & 5, and Jay Street/Metro Tech for the N and R.

You can download a pdf timetable for the B61 bus from this page on the MTA website:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/bklnsch.htm

You should also know that the "subway" station at Smith-9th St. is not a subway station at all...the trains run on an elevated track at that point. In fact the station is reputed to have the highest elevation above ground level of any train station in the world. The station is not handicapped accessible. Even though the station was renovated a couple of years ago, there is no elevator from ground level to the track level, and you have either a substantial walk up the stairs, or an (steep) escalator to ride.

Re-reading OP's question, they wanted to walk to the nearest subway station ... after coming off a cruise. I misread it as they are going toward the pier for sailaway instead. NJH is spot-on, I either drive thru that area or ride the R/N subway lines below ground & seldom on that F/G line - nice view up there.

Oooookay, assuming that the long escalators is working on cruise days, otherwise - it's a long hike up to the station's platform, 87.5 feet above street level near the Gowanus & those stops can be pretty "empty" on weekends. Not to mention, weekend bus services in that area is infrequent for connecting to/from the subway station stops ... not really something for out-of-towners not familiar with the neighborhoods, it's not like walking thru Times Squre or East Village/Alphabet City

Here's a link to YELP on the Smith-9th Street Station & area, with photos http://www.yelp.com/biz/smith-9th-sts-station-brooklyn

Strongly suggest/urge OP to use Google Earth/Map's Street View to check out the surroundings leaving the pier for a virtual walk toward the subway or nearest bus stops before getting adventurous with luggage in tow for walking those relatively empty streets ... locals either drive or take a car service to get around, relatively inexpensive.

Good luck & travel smart, be safe :cool:

I know I've seen on CC in the past but can't find it...

I'd like to walk from Brooklyn cruise terminal to the nearest Subway station, which I believe is Smiths - 9th st. on the F train

Any directions and apox time needed to walk is appreciated

Srpilo

I asked this very question a year ago and received a great response from smeyer418 on this forum:

Walk to the Smith & Carroll subway stop:

• Out of the terminal complex on Bowne (1 block)

• Turn left on Van Brunt (2 blocks)

• Right on Summit (2 blocks)

• Becomes Monsignor Delvecchio (1 block)

• Becomes 1st Place (3 blocks)

When we returned I wrote a description of our walk to/from the subway:

We had a fabulous day in NYC yesterday. The weather was gorgeous and we walked about 1 1/2 miles (half hour) to the Carroll street station- half a mile to get out of the port, 2 blocks on a street thru an industrial area and then thru a neighborhood with kids going to school, crossing guards at every corner and lots of folks pushing baby strollers (a little baby boom in Brooklyn!). The neighborhood was lovely - tree lined street with big brownstones decorated for Halloween. We're so glad we followed your advice! Everyone we met was helpful - we just needed to look the least bit confused in a subway station and someone would offer to help us. After a long day we returned to the ship where our balcony had a spectacular view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The breath taking Sail away was the end of a memorable day.

Another cruiser wrote about taking the bus to the subway stop:

We also enjoyed our day in NYC on 10/30. There is a bus stop right outside the port. We ran into the Liquor Store, bought a $5 Metro Card. Got on Bus B61 to the end of the line. Walked a little over a block and hoped on the A Train. Reversed the order on the way back.

You MUST check MTA.info for service advisories and double check on weekends. Work being done on the F line where the F/G subway line does not stop (in one direction) at Smith & 9th i on some weekends as this is a "local" stop.

For example this weekend service does stop but is express from Neptune to Smith & Ninth Manhattan (Jamaica) bound and could be different on the day you do travel.

I asked this very question a year ago and received a great response from smeyer418 on this forum:

Walk to the Smith & Carroll subway stop:

• Out of the terminal complex on Bowne (1 block)

• Turn left on Van Brunt (2 blocks)

• Right on Summit (2 blocks)

• Becomes Monsignor Delvecchio (1 block)

• Becomes 1st Place (3 blocks)

When we returned I wrote a description of our walk to/from the subway:

We had a fabulous day in NYC yesterday. The weather was gorgeous and we walked about 1 1/2 miles (half hour) to the Carroll street station- half a mile to get out of the port, 2 blocks on a street thru an industrial area and then thru a neighborhood with kids going to school, crossing guards at every corner and lots of folks pushing baby strollers (a little baby boom in Brooklyn!). The neighborhood was lovely - tree lined street with big brownstones decorated for Halloween. We're so glad we followed your advice! Everyone we met was helpful - we just needed to look the least bit confused in a subway station and someone would offer to help us. After a long day we returned to the ship where our balcony had a spectacular view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The breath taking Sail away was the end of a memorable day.

Another cruiser wrote about taking the bus to the subway stop:

We also enjoyed our day in NYC on 10/30. There is a bus stop right outside the port. We ran into the Liquor Store, bought a $5 Metro Card. Got on Bus B61 to the end of the line. Walked a little over a block and hoped on the A Train. Reversed the order on the way back.

The Carroll St stop on Smith St is closer to the port than the Smith & 9th St stop which is the next stop going away from Manhattan towards Coney Island (end of the line,) Carroll St is also a regular subway station....it is not elevated.

Edited by Love the beach

The Carroll St stop on Smith St is closer to the port than the Smith & 9th St stop which is the next stop going away from Manhattan towards Coney Island (end of the line,) Carroll St is also a regular subway station....it is not elevated.

The various walking directions I've come up with have Smith 9th St. closer to the port than Carroll St.

The various walking directions I've come up with have Smith 9th St. closer to the port than Carroll St.

You are right....9th St is 1.2 miles as opposed to 1.4 miles to Carroll St but the walk to Carroll St is thru a mostly residential area while the other is mostly industrial. I would still suggest Carroll St.