Hypothetical? It didn't happen but well could have.

sail7seas

I booked a cruise with friends. I wrote Travel Ex insurance right after booking. That policy contained language that said they would pay if travel companions cancelled for a coverable reason.

One of my friends was diagnosed (months later) with a serious illness which required surgery. We found this out about 10 days prior to our sale date. As it turned out, the surgeon said my friend would not be at risk to travel but the surgery would happen immediately after we returned home (from 7 days cruise).

If my friend, who had a cabin with spouse, cancelled and I wanted to cancel as I didn't want to cruise alone though I had my own cabin, would insurance have reimbursed me?

I booked a cruise with friends. I wrote Travel Ex insurance right after booking. That policy contained language that said they would pay if travel companions cancelled for a coverable reason.

One of my friends was diagnosed (months later) with a serious illness which required surgery. We found this out about 10 days prior to our sale date. As it turned out, the surgeon said my friend would not be at risk to travel but the surgery would happen immediately after we returned home (from 7 days cruise).

If my friend, who had a cabin with spouse, cancelled and I wanted to cancel as I didn't want to cruise alone though I had my own cabin, would insurance have reimbursed me?

You really need to ask the insurer or the insurance broker where you purchased the policy.

It sounds like it would be covered from the way *you* phrased the policy terms, but as with many things - and especially with legal and insurance things - the actual wording and surrounding terms would be critical to know.

And different insurers/policies handle what appear to be "similar" situations differently.

I'm glad that you got to go on the cruise!

GeezerCouple

I vote for a big "No Way." Even if you were covered in the event of your friend needing to cancel, that is not the case here. The timing of the surgery is somewhat elective. No reason for the insurance carrier to cover you or your friend in this case.

I vote for a big "No Way." Even if you were covered in the event of your friend needing to cancel, that is not the case here. The timing of the surgery is somewhat elective. No reason for the insurance carrier to cover you or your friend in this case.

I agree, as you've described it.

But I think sail7seas was asking about "what if" the friend HAD *needed* to cancel for covered medical reasons (i.e., if the surgery could not be postponed until after the trip).

In that case, it's still necessary to ask the specific insurer, and reference the specific policy.

These things are best asked in advance, although there could always be situations that one didn't expect.

But the possible "cancelling by travel companions" is at least a possibility that can be foreseen.

Likewise (our situation), "what if" an elderly MIL were to have something serious happen.

GeezerCouple

here is the definition from my current policy

"Traveling Companion means a person whose name appears with you on the same Trip arrangement and who, during the Trip, will share accommodations with you."

So, in OP's hypothetical,,, were you sharing a cabin and were you on the same booking number? If not, then no you were not covered. If Yes, then you were covered.

As Geezer said, each policy defines Travel Companion differently.

As to definition of travel companion, we booked at the same time, used the same PCC (Person Cruise Consultant), had our reservations linked immediately upon booking and were in cabins two doors away from each other.

My Insurance defines Traveling Companion as name(s) appear(s) with the insured on the same Covered Trip arrangement. Would having our reservations linked immediately from the start upon booking as having our name(s) appear on the same Covered Trip arrangement?

As to the surgery was elective, that is technically true but I asked this as hypothetical as we were able to cruise, friend had the surgery immediately upon returning home and it made me wonder if I would have been covered in the event the surgery was mandatory (per her surgeon) immediately and we would miss the cruise.

I am going to call the insurer to have this info for future reference.

Edited by sail7seas

As to definition of travel companion, we booked at the same time, used the same PCC (Person Cruise Consultant), had our reservations linked immediately upon booking and were in cabins two doors away from each other.

My Insurance defines Traveling Companion as name(s) appear(s) with the insured on the same Covered Trip arrangement. Would having our reservations linked immediately from the start upon booking as having our name(s) appear on the same Covered Trip arrangement?

As to the surgery was elective, that is technically true but I asked this as hypothetical as we were able to cruise, friend had the surgery immediately upon returning home and it made me wonder if I would have been covered in the event the surgery was mandatory (per her surgeon) immediately and we would miss the cruise.

I am going to call the insurer to have this info for future reference.

IMHO, linking a reservation is not the same as having the same travel arrangements whereby you're all on the same booking number. And are all of you listed on the same trip insurance policy? That probably makes a difference to the insurer.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I just called Travel Ex, explained my hypothetical question and the response was:

As long as we were on the same ship, same itinerary, same date and friend was in health that permitted her to travel at the time I purchased my policy, I would have been covered.

Very good news. A delightful, very helpful representative did not hesitate in giving me this response.

Edited by sail7seas

I just called Travel Ex, explained my hypothetical question and the response was:

As long as we were on the same ship, same itinerary, same date and friend was in health that permitted her to travel at the time I purchased my policy, I would have been covered.

Very good news. A delightful, very helpful representative did not hesitate in giving me this response.

Thank you for your report!

Just curious: Was the representative you talked to in the Sales Department or the Claims Department?

Edited by notjaded

I was very specific to speak with Claims Department. :)

Feel free to call the Claims Department at Travel Ex and ask the question yourself if you are doubtful. :)

Edited by sail7seas