When does the upsell fairy usually call?

CruiseBride926

I would not expect or hold out for an upsell. These are the exception and not the norm. I have cruised Carnival 21 times and never been called or emailed. (snip).

Did you book direct with CCL or through a TA? (In our recent mini poll of ppl who got upsell calls, 8 times as many booked direct instead of thru a TA).

My husband and I married on the Triumph in 2012. About 1 week before sailing, we got an upsale call. The carnival rep told us that if they have suites available close to the sailing date, they offer them to wedding couples first, followed by honeymooners (that didn't marry on the ship). After this it would be to other guest (not sure how they would have picked). We took the upsale to the suite and it was fabulous. Not sure how accurate this info is, but that is how it worked for us/what we were told. ☺. Happy cruising and enjoy your wedding...you will LOVE it!

Edited by cruiser0411

We have an extended aft balcony on the Valor for Oct. 17, 2015 and our neighbors also booked the room next to ours. This is their first cruise and our 7th with Carnival. Aug. 30th I got a call to upgrade to an ocean view suite for both our room and our friends' room. Before I got the details, I declined. My husband has been so excited about the extended aft balcony that I did not want to switch. This was our first call from the upsell fairy. At least I know she is alive and well....and still calling people.

I got an upsell call about 3 weeks before my last cruise. It's because I had something they wanted... an aft balcony. They wanted me to spend $450 for an ocean suite which we passed on. I'm glad I kept my aft balcony.

However, I have a cruised booked with Royal Caribbean where they recently upgraded me from a balcony with an obstructed view to a higher floor balcony with a great view for free ($900 value). Go figure.

On my last Pride cruise in May I got a call a week before sailing. $300 to go from 4K french door interior to premium balcony. We took it. I'm now 4 days from another Pride cruise and no call. I thought maybe because we have a 8C for 3 and we are 2 they might want to move us. I realize they can move us to any equal balcony for two.

I was upgraded for free twice on Princess from a Minisuite to a full suite. Suites on Princess are much more expensive but have a lot of amenities.

I had a call on my last cruise and turned it down. I think I had two calls out of the last five. That isn't normal. I'm diamond but don't think that matters. Five yrs a go they called while I was driving the day before and give me a free upgrade. Inside to a outside. That don't happen much at all now. I Still think something happen to the cabin on the cruise before and they had to change me.

This information is about a year old BUT if you booked thru Carnival try 800 838 6744 ex. 49097 ask for Marcy. Got a call last year and didn't accept her offer but asked about something else and went from 185 sq ft inside to 220 OV for $80 8 day cruise. Best wishes on your marriage. Good luck finding an upgrade you like.

We've gotten an upsell call for both of our cruises so far. Our first was our honeymoon on the Pride- got a call Thursday night during our rehearsal to upgrade from a 4k to an 8k for $300 more total. Took it. Sailed on Sunday.
Next cruise was celebrating our anniversary. Same itinerary and ship. Booked in the same 8k with 3 people. Got a call on Wednesday offering a junior suite for $500 more. Did not take it since we were on a budget.
This time we've booked that same 8k. Not expecting an upsell call.

I've heard the same as pp's though- they tend to offer first to newlyweds and anniversaries, then to people in desirable rooms that they can re-sell at a higher price. If you want a better room- book it. Don't count on an upgrade.

25 CCL cruises and never had an upsell call. We have had upgrades way back when we were booking TBA cabins. Went from an Ocean View to a French Door Balcony and from interiors to oceanviews but that is about it.

We book through a TA, and tend to pick our own cabin now. I wonder if that is the reason for the no call. When we did get them we were booking through a PVP or on our own.

We got an upsell call for our cruise on the Splendor this past May. I got the call about a month before our cruise. We were in a balcony and paid $600 to upgrade to a grand suite. If it had been just me and my husband, we might not have upgraded, but since there were 4 of us and we had the extra money, we decided to take the offer. It was nice having the extra space. My husband's aunt and uncle were also called and they went from one of the "L" shape balcony rooms to a junior suite for an extra $400.

[quote] - book direct with CCL or use a TA?[/quote]

[quote name='katiedidthat']Carnival. And we always have them mark the occasion on our booking.[/quote]
Yup, all but one in our mini-poll that got upsell calls booked direct with CCL. Probably a nuisance for CCL to have to send it thru the TA and wait for a reply. Now if only CCL would offer the great perks that the big TA's do. Edited by Bob7