Worth the extra money?

nibbs

Hi all,

Although the wife and I have been past cruisers with Princess, Carnival and RC, we've been staying on land for a few years until our first born was old enough to really take it all in. Having just returned from Walt Disney World (where our 4 year old little man had a blast!) we've started looking at a DCL booking for next summer - probably Disney Magic out of Barcelona.

Now whilst we've not cruised for five years I was stunned by the price of a DCL cruise - nearly double the cost of a RC or Carnival near equivalent itinerary. I was expecting some kind of premium, but wow!

Can we afford it? Yes. Would the family love a Disney cruise? I'd put money on it! Is it really worth the price difference? I'd appreciate your views!

Cheers,

nibbs

Hi all,

Although the wife and I have been past cruisers with Princess, Carnival and RC, we've been staying on land for a few years until our first born was old enough to really take it all in. Having just returned from Walt Disney World (where our 4 year old little man had a blast!) we've started looking at a DCL booking for next summer - probably Disney Magic out of Barcelona.

Now whilst we've not cruised for five years I was stunned by the price of a DCL cruise - nearly double the cost of a RC or Carnival near equivalent itinerary. I was expecting some kind of premium, but wow!

Can we afford it? Yes. Would the family love a Disney cruise? I'd put money on it! Is it really worth the price difference? I'd appreciate your views!

Cheers,

nibbs

To paraphrase: "Worth it" is in the eye of the beholder.

For us, yes. We love the Disney product. And we love cruising Disney.

For others, not so much.

For a child in that age range, I'd definitely say yes.

DCL's most current prices are thru the roof. But as long as people are willing to pay it, they will keep charging these rates. Prices for the cruises I've been looking at are more than double what they were a couple years ago.

We also have children and cruise primarily on Princess and Celebrity, but have also cruised with RCCL and HAL. Of all of these, I would say that Disney is my favorite cruise line, even though we have not cruised on them often. It is the cruise we all enjoy the most, with the best entertainment and (for the most part) food offerings. The cabins are the largest and the nicest. The private island (Castaway Cay) is exceptional.

However, we don't cruise Disney that much exactly because of what you are saying. Would we rather take 2 cruises on Celebrity/Princess or one cruise on Disney? Mostly, we go for the 2 cruises. But sometimes, we splurge, and go with Disney.

The extra you are paying for on Disney is for what is on the ship. Therefore, IMHO, it does not make sense to cruise with Disney in Europe, because you will be spending so much time in port and be so exhausted at the end of each day. We prefer to cruise Disney in the Caribbean, because that is where we spend less time on shore and more time enjoying the ship and its facilities. So for us, Disney is better on a more relaxed cruise with less interesting ports.

But you would have to make up your own mind. This is what works for us.

Hi all,

Cheers,

nibbs

Disney's non-Caribbean cruises demand and receive a premium because they are less common that the Caribbean cruises.

If you want to sail on Disney for a more reasonable price, look at the Caribbean cruises during non-vacation times.

Look for ways to lessen the cost like the Disney credit cards. We've been using it as our primary card for a few years now where the rewards dollars we've earned help bring the cost down to that of NCL/RCI.

You used to be able to buy Disney gift cards at a discount at Target. Anyone know if Target still does this?

For a child in that age range' date=' I'd definitely say yes.[/quote']Agreed... kids don't see the credit card bills as they are snorting high on pixie dust. More sodas! More movies! More clubs! More character photos! More internet!

[YOUTUBE]rOknAKEjPgk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]poZtpyNNuws[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]F6mBhAkWDGg[/YOUTUBE]

One thing about going on a DCL trip is the kids get to have fun and goof off... something they may feel limited to on other ships.

Edited by xlxo

For a child as young as yours, I would sy thawt he will probably enjoy it. You will also probably get to have some alone time when your child is in the kid's club.

We tried DCL last year as the price was just OK at the time so we decided to try it. Both of my young adult sons are disabled and love Disney World. They loved it, we the parents did not. Way too much going on at the same time. If you think Disney World is busy, crowded and over-stimulating, just wait until you get on a DCL ship. It was CROWDED! We could not wait to get off the ship. Castaway Cay is absolutely wonderful, though. The best private island we have been on. At least as adults we could get away from everything going on. Not the best food by any means, but the shows are really wonderful. We went to Disney World right after the cruise and it seemed like heaven compared to the cruise.

So I would suggest to do some research of DCL and other cruise lines and see what best fits your lifestyle and what you actually want to get out of the cruise. I would agree with the others that the prices have gone way up this year.

I agree with the PP that DCL might not be the right choice for a Med cruise. My theory on cruising is that in the Caribbean I chose based on the ship, in Europe or other locations I cruise based on the itinerary. I just don't think DCL is worth the higher cost on a port intensive cruise where the ship is more of a floating hotel.

I agree with the PP that DCL might not be the right choice for a Med cruise. My theory on cruising is that in the Caribbean I chose based on the ship, in Europe or other locations I cruise based on the itinerary. I just don't think DCL is worth the higher cost on a port intensive cruise where the ship is more of a floating hotel.

I agree, we had booked our first European Capitals cruise on Disney in 2010, but then changed to Princess since it was $3000 cheaper, and they went to most of the same ports. We were following the Magic around the ports, either before or after. It was so port intensive that we made a good choice. It didn't hurt that we were upgraded from a mini-suite to an aft full suite. DH was impressed. We mainly cruise DCL but on a port intensive cruise I wouldn't hesitate to change cruise lines.

OP, you say you just returned from a DW trip .....

did you stay in a Disney property or off site?

That's the SAME question you are asking cruise wise . . .

you want the 'mouse factor'?

then you must pay the mouse . . .

**** you also mention Barc' ... aka a MED cruise which is also a significant factor. Other lines cruise the Med all the time ... DCL does so 'sometimes' allowing them to charge a premium ON TOP of the standard mouse factor

Edited by Capt_BJ

Odd, we find the cruise to be much more relaxing than the parks. In fact, I joke that on the cruise mom is on vacation too while at the parks mom is always "on duty." But the crowds, etc. are a reason we prefer the Magic. We find it to be a lot less "crazy" than the Fantasy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a little of both. When the Magic was doing Westerns from PC earlier this year it was a similar price to the Fantasy.

The Magic is a smaller older ship. However there is also more competition sailing from Miami. NCL has its two newest ships there. I think the Carnival Breeze sails from Miami also. Sailings from Miami have always been a little lower, probably to attract new guests and not to out price them selves.

Also I hate the port. But that is another issue. It's so small!

Odd' date=' we find the cruise to be much more relaxing than the parks. In fact, I joke that on the cruise mom is on vacation too while at the parks mom is always "on duty." But the crowds, etc. are a reason we prefer the Magic. We find it to be a lot less "crazy" than the Fantasy.[/quote']

100% aggree. I have no plans to go the parks, at all, unless my kids request it and are MUCH older.

I went to the parks my senior year, it was fun, yes, but it wasn't a relaxing vacation. Cruises allows ME to relax, the and kids/husband to do whatever.

Hi, for us, YES it's worth the price difference, We've done disney twice, RCL and CCL each once with dd (now four). We're going back to Disney. While I'm not willing to give up my balcony (nope, nope, nope) I AM willing to cruise every other year if it means Disney, over the others.

With a five year? Yep. Disney all way, imo.

The service on Carnival was great. NO complaints, honestly, I wasn't expecting much, it was great. However, there was no magic. It wasn't a kid/family friendly/fun as Disney (we did the two older ships, not the new ones).

We're limited, by choice, by port. We'd rather NOLA, but will do Gal, TX for Disney (the drive sucks, smaller hwys, and such).

Now, I just need the dates for 2017 so I can plan!

Hi all,

Cheers,

nibbs

Without the child, I'd say no. For the price of our last Disney cruise we could've gone with Regent and had some pocket change. However - Regent generally has nothing for children and definitely nothing near Disney. With a child I'd say it depends upon the childs age and how good their behavior is along with how well they can keep themself entertained.

• 1 month later...

Prices for 2016 are double what I paid for the same itinerary this year, so we've decided to do an RCCL sailing on the Freedom OTS next year. As with you we can afford the price difference but finding it hard to justify an additional $150 per night per person for Disney. That being said, its possible the kids absolutely hate RCCL, and if that's the case than YES, Disney will have been worth the money. We cruise because it allows us both family time and adult time, so the kids having fun is extremely important. If RCCL is a dud then we'll be back to Disney in 2017!

I started cruising with Disney with my Mom in Florida. And the two cruises were great.

But when it came time to book a 30th wedding anniversary cruise we wanted two cabins-kids would have their own! A Disney cruise was out of the question price wise. Even a 5 day cruise.

So for 4.8 k we had two balcony cabins on new ship Celebrity Silhouette with ultimate drink package included for adults. We had a great time. Food was better than Disney. Ship was beautiful. Shows were pretty good. Disney would have been wasted on my Husband anyway.

So next cruise with my mom we went on Celebrity Equinox. 3.6 k for 10 day cruise for 3 inside cabin. She thought ship wasn't as well maintained (minor dings in cabin) and food wasn't as good as Disney. Food wasn't as good that trip.

This summer i did a Carnival 5 day to Canada. People were just people not excessive party people (Canada cruise probably a more sedate crowd). Food decor not as nice as Disney (pilled polyester blend napkins). Price ridiculously affordable. Music on ship best ever.

Our next trip booked is Disney at a ridiculous amount of money. Logically I think Celebrity is a nicer cruiseline and Royal would be be very good. But as this may be her last cruise I am not arguing with her. We are going balcony, both granddaughters and 9.2 k for a 7 day cruise because April vacation coincides with Easter in 2017.

For that price we could go on two great cruises but time is running out for her to travel. So I am going with a ship that has 95% satisfaction rather than 84% because I can't count on anymore cruises. We will enjoy the heck out of the cruise including watching all the cuties on board-and by that I mean the toddlers and babies!

So No I don't think Disney is worth the extra money usually but sometimes it is.

Would DCL excursions be more child friendly than other cruiselines?

Would your child feel more secure/familiar with a Disney ship as home each night from the port excursions?

We will always love Disney and will do many more Disney Cruises. The experience is terrific. But, limitation in itineraries and price increases have had us looking at alternatives that we would consider from time-to-time, mostly based on itinerary. We are empty nesters and the need for activities for children is no longer a big factor for us. So today, I booked a cruise on Princess. It's hard to make a true comparison as DCL has no comparable itinerary (Canada/New England in fall). But, averaging it all out, we were able to book a suite on Princess (about half way between a deluxe veranda and a concierge suite on Disney) for about the same price as the deluxe veranda on DCL (using cost per day for comparison). To us, it looked like the deluxe veranda on DCL is comparable to a mini-suite on Princess (so we splurged and got the 450 square feet full suite). Pricing for DCL appears to be about 25-30% more based on my imperfect math. We will definitely be back to Disney (headed on EBPA on Friday, and 4 DCL cruises next year). We will love our DCL experiences and will have many more, but wanted to test the value on another cruise line.

Having done DCL Europe three years in a row (all including Barcelona), I would not suggest a Med cruise with a child that young. "Port intensive" does not even come close to explaining how exhausted you will be. Not fun for a 4.5 y.o. with no hotel to take a break/nap at in the middle of the day. Very different from the parks or any other cruise. Days in port are largely spent commuting to the cities (1.5-2 hours each way), then rushing around to see everything. Getting off the ship at 7:30 and not returning until 5:30 or later. Many days in a row.

Don't get me wrong, we are returning for the Greek Isles next year. Love DCL and LOVE Europe. But with a child that young, no way. The price would be a waste with all the heartache of the long days. What about the Dover to Barcelona? London is awesome! We did that one this year and B2B with Med. Or even better for the little one, the TA. We have done both directions and absolutely love the long cruises!