Some changes

troywest

I understand the constant selling and upselling on corporate cruise lines, but we are talking about Azamara Club Cruises. I don't expect this kind of treatment at my club.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I suppose the real issue is whether the up sell pressure is corporate-driven by RCI, as Andy thinks possible, or whether this is an isolated over exuberance by a particular crew or its managers.

We, of course, hope it's the latter, and that the concerns expressed by cruisers such as UKtog will lead to its cessation.

I seriously doubt the very good and competent HOT men would institute the up-sell initiative without strong RCCL corporate guidance. Why would they want to pi&$-off passengers? What the move tells me is AZ and, maybe other RCCL brands as well, are not meeting on-board revenue targets/goals.

Actually we were on same cruise as pickypicky. We definitely experienced the upsell "experience ". Happy that not everyone did but it did happen to many of us.

Maybe we were hanging out in different places? We typically stick to the Sunset Bar and Discoveries (before dinner). We went to one show and weren't approached there. They had the usual tables set up when we boarded so that we could upgrade wine package or reserve Prime C or Aquilina, spa treatments, etc., but I don't consider that a problem...there was no pressure, in fact we could have just passed right on by had we not wanted to purchase. Now that I think of it, the bartender at Discoveries was pretty surly (totally out of character for Azamara personnel) for the entire cruise...maybe he had approached my husband and was given the rebuff, lol

It seems strange that guests on Quest are commenting about this while those on Journey are not being bothered by upselling.

One of the things Larry P usually mentions is that Azamara doesn't nickel and dime its passengers. Hope things aren't changing.

IMHO, this is the heart of the issue. If Larry P truly wants to elevate the brand toward the luxury lines, then he needs to be careful about the upsell, the selling on board, and the economic pressure to create a mini-mall. Without attention to these issues, AZ will be like the mass market lines.

Avoiding the auctions is easy. They are held in the Cabaret lounge and, unless you attend, you won't be bothered by any annoying noise.

Avoiding the "art" is not quite so easy as it is displayed on the walls around Mosaic and on easels in Looking Glass.

In my view it is "rubbish art" that they are trying to sell. If you don't agree, compare it with the art on the wall of the ship and you will see what I mean.

If they make a lot of money for Azamara selling it, I am amazed, and if so,why aren't Azamara buying and hanging some of it?

For heavens sake, Azamara please do not take my suggestion seriously,by doing that during the refit, or I will cry!

We were on HAL's Zuiderdam recently and we' were having a coffee in The Neptune Lounge. An American couple told us that they had bought SIX of the pictures at the Art auction to display in their Californian Beach House. I have never seen such tacky rubbish in all my life, as in those art auctions. No way could it be described as art.

These "art auctions" must make a profit for the cruise companies but it just goes to show that you can't buy good taste! :D