Greek islands

singlegrandma2

We are visiting Santorini, Rhodes, Chania, and Mykonos in late September on Celebrity Reflection . Does anyone know if you have to tender at any of these except Santorini? Is wind a problem at that time of year and are these islands cancelled at the last minute very often? Looking so forward to all 4 of them! Hope we don't have to miss any, but I have cruised enough to know there are no guarantees!

Edited by singlegrandma2

Chances are good you will tender in Rhodes. In Mykonos I have noticed the big ships such as Celebrity's usually anchor off the town and use tenders. We are always on Seabourn which usually docks. Sorry, can't help with Chania. Doesn't your booking itinerary tell you which ports are tender?

No they dropped Istanbul and added Rhodes and Chania so I am trying to do some quick research... I leave in 10 days :eek: thank you!

Do you know why they cancelled Istanbul? We are scheduled to stop there in October (another cruise line) and I'll be very disappointed if it is cancelled.

Do you know why they cancelled Istanbul?

After the U.S. consulate in Istanbul was attacked on August 10, both Costa and Celebrity cancelled. Will others follow suit? Don't know. They may be waiting to see if something else happens, but with Turkey now attacking both ISIS and the Kurds, anything is possible.

Yes because of the attacks and the threat of terrorism... I was not worried about sightseeing in Istanbul, but I was a little worried about having an overnight on the ship in port. If you have not been there, the people are wonderful but the ship ports right in the middle of town in a river.... Such an easy target if someone wanted that ship or to attack it... really not much to stop them. I am relieved at this time with all going on not to be staying there overnight.

We have recently come off the 23 August sailing of Azamara Journey.

We were due to tender in Mykonos, but it was too windy and this port was cancelled and replaced wth Bodrum, Turkey.

We were supposed to tender into Chania, but it was too windy. Instead we were docked in Souda, with a shuttle to Chania provided by Azamara. The day of this visit was changed.

The day of our visit to Santorini was changed, due to high winds.

So certainly, in late August, wind was definitely a problem!

We have recently come off the 23 August sailing of Azamara Journey.

We were due to tender in Mykonos, but it was too windy and this port was cancelled and replaced wth Bodrum, Turkey.

We were supposed to tender into Chania, but it was too windy. Instead we were docked in Souda, with a shuttle to Chania provided by Azamara. The day of this visit was changed.

The day of our visit to Santorini was changed, due to high winds.

So certainly, in late August, wind was definitely a problem!

Wow! I wonder if that's typical, or just bad weather luck. I feel for you. I would hate to miss Santorini.

You have to tender in Santorini

You will dock in Rhodes (not sure why someone said chances are you will tender as we've never known that happen)

Chania - I would say almost certainly that you will dock at Soudha, which is a short bus ride from Chania

Mykonos - it will depend on whether you are the first (or the only ship) in. If this is the case you will dock and there will be a short bus ride to town, otherwise you will tender. Mykonos tends to be the one where wind and seas can cause a problem with tendering but this can happen any time of year.

Edited by Bobal