Cabin availability

royal65

For January we are considering 3 cruises on Oceania (would be our first), 3 on Princess and 2 on HAL. The cruises are all warm weather and somewhat similar. The Princess and HAL cruises are heavily booked in all of the categories in which we are interested. Yet, Oceania has lots of availability. This is making me wonder why the other two are so much more popular when there isn't much difference in pricing. I'd appreciate any thoughts on why the disparity in bookings.

For January we are considering 3 cruises on Oceania (would be our first), 3 on Princess and 2 on HAL. The cruises are all warm weather and somewhat similar. The Princess and HAL cruises are heavily booked in all of the categories in which we are interested. Yet, Oceania has lots of availability. This is making me wonder why the other two are so much more popular when there isn't much difference in pricing. I'd appreciate any thoughts on why the disparity in bookings.

Two reasons spring to mind immediately:

1) The Hal and Princess cruises are doubtless much cheaper.

2) Oceania ships deploy to different areas of the World continuously. It may be that those other lines are more well known in that region.

Most people I talk to haven't heard of Oceania.

The name just isn't "out there" like Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Royal Caribbean, etc., who all seem to have TV commercials that feature the Caribbean.

The first cruise we took, in 2007 in the Mediterranean, my research started with a google search of something like "rate best cruise lines". Oceania came up in the rating, I went to the website, never having heard of it, and haven't looked back!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002
content

A number of reasons:

Caribbean; think Diamonds International, straw markets, and Señor Frog's in different settings

10 night vs 7 night weekend to weekend cruise

Different clientele; Families/kids, working folks, vs. retirees

Just getting away for warm weather on one's week vacation

Price

Air inclusive prices on O

Caribbean cruise clientele is much different than the clientele of other cruise destinations IMO. When I imagine a cruise on O, an image of the Caribbean definitely does not come to mind. However, when I think of Carnival and RCCL it does; and not that good of an image IMPO.

Many folks love the Caribbean cruise, and more power to them. As a diver I love the Caribbean and other tropical locales, but if I go there it will not be on a cruise; I'll book a resort in Grand Cayman, Curaçao, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, Caribbean cruises have their purpose in my world. For a family reunion or similar special event, I'd go on one in a minute. But it would be for the event and family/friends, not the ports as they're all relatively the same IMO.

Most people I talk to haven't heard of Oceania.

The name just isn't "out there" like Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Royal Caribbean, etc., who all seem to have TV commercials that feature the Caribbean.

The first cruise we took, in 2007 in the Mediterranean, my research started with a google search of something like "rate best cruise lines". Oceania came up in the rating, I went to the website, never having heard of it, and haven't looked back!

I agree that the name Oceania is not as well known.

When I mention them to fellow cruisers they all look blank

I suppose traveling from Australia makes the total cost higher than most, but then the experience is also higher (so far - don't change things):)

A number of reasons:

Caribbean; think Diamonds International, straw markets, and Señor Frog's in different settings

10 night vs 7 night weekend to weekend cruise

Different clientele; Families/kids, working folks, vs. retirees

Just getting away for warm weather on one's week vacation

Price

Air inclusive prices on O

Caribbean cruise clientele is much different than the clientele of other cruise destinations IMO. When I imagine a cruise on O, an image of the Caribbean definitely does not come to mind. However, when I think of Carnival and RCCL it does; and not that good of an image IMPO.

Many folks love the Caribbean cruise, and more power to them. As a diver I love the Caribbean and other tropical locales, but if I go there it will not be on a cruise; I'll book a resort in Grand Cayman, Curaçao, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, Caribbean cruises have their purpose in my world. For a family reunion or similar special event, I'd go on one in a minute. But it would be for the event and family/friends, not the ports as they're all relatively the same IMO.

We've been to the Caribbean (both cruise ship and yacht charter). Once or twice (at most) is all you need. I think you'll find that, like us, many O regulars wanting tropical islands will opt for the South Pacific.

We've been to the Caribbean (both cruise ship and yacht charter). Once or twice (at most) is all you need. I think you'll find that, like us, many O regulars wanting tropical islands will opt for the South Pacific.

Some of us just like to get away from the cold winters so the Caribbean works for us

I have no desire to go to the SP ..flights are too long

That being said...we started with Oceania and loved the amount of days. Now they have cut the days down to what the low cost lines have and have not reduced the cost and to top it off, the last time they made two of the ports just really icky...one was an island owned by NCL and it was advised not to get off..no local village and the other was some place undescribable. I think we are over Oceania.

Many people looking for a reasonably priced Caribbean cruise wouldn't even look at Oceania, since they assume it is too expensive. They don't realize that they aren't that expensive for Caribbean cruises and are the best price per day they will find for O if they want to try them out.

For example, I have rarely looked at Seaborn or Crystal for any cruises; since I know they will be much more than I am willing to spend. Although I do hear about deals sometimes, they aren't lines I normally consider in my research. I am sure some feel that way about O also.