Why no sugar free syrups in IC?

Mommypig

I am diabetic and had terrible problems getting diet tonic to have with my gin on the Emerald last November. I was told I had to order it as a dietary requirement on the Personaliser. I did this for my last cruise on the Royal in April but still had problems. Will probably just take my own next time but this all adds to the weight for our cases on the flight over to Miami. My travel agent asked why it isn't stocked as standard and was told it is because Americans don't drink it. One of the waiters said they're frequently left with it.

As the one poster said, you can find the diet tonic in Walmart , Publix and other supermarkets. It will not be in the soda aisle (or mixed in with the sodas). Instead, there will be a section that has various mixes for drinks (i.e., margarita mix, daiquiri mix, etc.) and that is where you will find the tonic water and club soda.

We find the Publix Diet Tonic Water to be better tasting than the Walmart brand. If you are lucky, you can find Canada Dry or Seagrams Brand Tonic Water. I especially like the Cananda Dry diet tonic with a hint of lime.

<<snip>>

Considering that an estimated 20% of US citizens are borderline or full diabetic in one way or another you'd think they would cater to us.

<<snip>>

Carnival's Business 101 manual demands that they provide to that which has the highest chance of profit, in this case it is the 80%.

That all said, diabetic or non-diabetic, simple carbs are useless calories. Limit those to the barest of minimums.

We need a glut of simple carbs like NYC needs more cars!

I have no problem getting diet tonic at home here in Scotland. The problem is only on the ship. We have sailed with Princess and Cunard but had no problem on Cunard. It appears to be an 'American' thing. No disrespect to our cousins over the pond! Bar staff on Princess have said that it only seems to be British people who ask for diet tonic.

Carnival's Business 101 manual demands that they provide to that which has the highest chance of profit, in this case it is the 80%.

That all said, diabetic or non-diabetic, simple carbs are useless calories. Limit those to the barest of minimums.

We need a glut of simple carbs like NYC needs more cars!

But Carnival Cruise Line ( under the same ownership as Princess) cater much better to diabetics, and actually have way better buffet choice in many other ways.

Still the exact same brand cruddy sugar laden OJ and lemonade though.

Catering to an older demographic Princess will certainly have a higher percentage of diabetics, particularly type 2 diabetics on board than Carnival and should be more sensitive to their needs.

Edited by Griller

Well, what it boils down to is that I will be taking my own syrups for flavoring and sweetening coffee, sugar free jam, and protein shakes.

I wish they would get the diet cranberry juice, but I can live without that for a few months. That is pretty much the only juice that I drink as the others have too much sugar.

Will have a standing order for sugar free jello in the MDR and will see if I can get it in the Panorama buffet (Pacific Princess). Also a standing order for steamed broccoli every night as I think the entrees are very vegetable deficient.

I agree that dinner entrees are vegetable deficient (except for every know high glycemic carb from anywhere in the world). This is true of any cruise line I have been on with the exception of the higher tier (Azamara, Oceania, etc.) lines that will gladly prepare a side of any vegetable, if available.

My solution, if it is carb friendly (i.e., not a beet salad), is to order double salads with the dressing on the side. I let the waiter know that the salad will not be finished as a salad course, but will remain on the table as a side during my entree..

My husband and I took a 15 day cruise two years ago and decided to go extreme-low-carb for the entire cruise. We did quite well and found the HC easier to navigate than sitting at a table in the dining room looking at a basket of bread and watching others enjoy their desserts. :( We both lost weight on that cruise and didn't ever feel hungry or deprived.

True ,but at least your body knows what to do with the sugar and you can have a natural death.:rolleyes:

That is extremely insensitive to those of us who are diabetics who will one day likely die as a result of diabetes, and putting "rolling eyes" doesn't make it any less so.

Without modern drugs as well as a restricted diet many diabetics are only weeks away from coma and death.

What's your next attempt? "Jokey posts" about cancer and aids?

I cannot tolerate any sugar substitutes. I only compromise on sugar free pancake syrup (and then it's a short stack). I avoid all soda except for seltzer/club soda. I only drink "black" tea either iced or hot. If I have dessert, a real sugar dessert is my choice...within reason and moderation. The comment about your body does not know what to do with fake sugar is based on studies that say fake sugar can be more harmful in the long run while it is trying to trick your body. I get the coffee card each cruise and we have never used a punch except when "treating" a table mate who wants a specialty beverage.

For those that do frequent sugar free/diet beverages and desserts, not having a choice can be disappointing, but these things should not be an excuse to think it's ok to overindulge. Jmho

That is extremely insensitive to those of us who are diabetics who will one day likely die as a result of diabetes, and putting "rolling eyes" doesn't make it any less so.

Without modern drugs as well as a restricted diet many diabetics are only weeks away from coma and death.

What's your next attempt? "Jokey posts" about cancer and aids?

Relax I'm one of you. I just thought the suggestion to use regular sugar instead of artificial sugar because your body would know what to do with it was ridiculous.

My husband and I took a 15 day cruise two years ago and decided to go extreme-low-carb for the entire cruise. We did quite well and found the HC easier to navigate than sitting at a table in the dining room looking at a basket of bread and watching others enjoy their desserts. :( We both lost weight on that cruise and didn't ever feel hungry or deprived.

Actually I find this easier to do on the longer cruises than the shorter ones. You do get a tad tired of the menu. The only problem is that of protein. On the Pacific Princess there is a small Panorama buffet. I generally would have a lovely salad for lunch, but there were times that the protein choices were simply not palatable or loaded with sauce. I am going to try to work with the staff to find out what the salad theme is going to be that day, and if necessary will filch a hard boiled egg or two at breakfast.

Artificial sugar is bad becsuse it changes the environment of the digestion system. I no longer use refined sugar which has zero nutrition benefit. Now I use natural palm sugar in my cooking instead. Sometimes sugar is essential to cooking because it adds a layer of flavor.

I don't have a sweet tooth so I prefer my coffee drink unsweetened or slightly sweetened. I hope Regal can customize my coffee drinks (no syrup) for me when I take the Easter Caribbean cruise in Nov.

On Princess cruises, I bring a small bottle of the sugar free vanilla flavoring as shown above--- I also bring (as I do on Celebrity) low salt v8 juice in the little cans. Sometimes the sugar free pancake syrup is available, other times a pain in the neck to find. So I bring the little packets purchased on minimus with me for just in case. I also bring a handful of the sugar free strawberry jam packets as well. Handy for just in case...

In fairness to the comments regarding natural sugar----I have had totally contradicting statements from health providers-- I think each person's body metabolism doesn't have the same reactions as others. My mantra is this:

avoid as much sugar as possible, period. Some deserts, if I just can't resist- I will just eat a few bites- otherwise- sugar free jello, occasionally-- Equal, etc. should be used as limited as possible- whatever combo works for the individual person. I too though think it is wierd that Princess doesn't offer more healthier offerings in general. In this area, I think Celebrity does a better job.