drinks package

sarhem65

Hi we are going on our first cruise 10th November from Singapore and have no idea as to drinks packages. I'm sure since first looking that price for ultimate package has increased. Does this happen the later you purchase. Would you recommend package or buying as you go. Does anyone know average prices of wine/beer/cocktails etc. Thanks:)

In my experience it doesn't go up the later you leave it, unless they generally raise the prices which I think they did in the past year or so. I would always recommend getting a drinks package, I am not a big drinker, but on holiday sometimes I do like to have a few drinks or I like to try random drinks. As I never drink here, I haven't tried many drinks, so when I see random cocktails on the menu it's nice to try them without feeling like you could be taking a risk by wasting some money.

Also it's a really nice feeling not having to worry about how much youre spending, so even if you didn't break even, which most people do as drinks are quite expensive, the relief of knowing exactly how much it's costing you is worth it.

In terms of pricing I'm not exactly sure but a cocktail is anywhere between 10 and 14 dollars if I remember correctly.

As it's cocktails I drink, I get the premium package rather than the ultimate as I don't drink speciality coffee or anything and I don't care about freshly squeezed orange juice enough to pay the extra money.

We are in a suite and wonder if we will survive just without a package and have a cocktail of the day and then a few (complimentary) drinks in the lounge and a couple of bottles of wine with dinner. We haven't really (we sailed on the rebadged Island Escape years ago) sailed on a Royal Caribbean before but it sounds like pay as you go drinks might be expensive.....

The drink package prices are set in US dollars, so if you're paying in pounds the price may change due to currency fluctuations. The price in Australian dollars has definitely increased!

Another possibility is that the first price you saw may not have included the 18% gratuity which is automatically added to all packages. Some parts of the website don't include that and some do. Showing with gratuity included makes it appear to have a higher price.

Hi we are going on our first cruise 10th November from Singapore and have no idea as to drinks packages. I'm sure since first looking that price for ultimate package has increased. Does this happen the later you purchase. Would you recommend package or buying as you go. Does anyone know average prices of wine/beer/cocktails etc. Thanks:)

Drink package prices increased just in august across the board, in case anyone was wondering.

In re the original question: no, I do not think they adjust the prices upwards as your cruising date approaches, I think they just did it to everyone. Also Yes, Imo most people should get some kind of drink package. Its not the sort of thing you feel like you need in absolute terms, but its nice to have. Fresh OJ at breakfast. A couple of mudslides or pinas while relaxing on the pool deck. Coke and hotdogs for lunch. etc. Its just a free-er way to cruise.

That said, I think a LOT of people go about justifying their purchase of a drink package backwards. Of course, when you have the drink package, you are indeed free to do what I said above, but if you don't? The free water/OJ from concentrate/coffee/tea is good enough to sustain you most days without feeling bad about not splurging enough (not to mention the free mimosas everywhere you look) but you can always splurge once per day, or once per sea day, and still come out waaaaay ahead on your bar bill vs the next guy who thinks he's "saving money" because he's had 3 frappachinos and 3 mudslides before noon...

PS... pro tip, there are open bar parties on most cruises at one time or another. Murder mystery dinners, 1950s speakeasy parties, who knows. If you are already paying 70bucks per day for the open bar, these are almost absolutely a waste of money in absolute terms, but if you only have, say, a soda package, you can get your bottomless bar fix, dance, listen to some smooth jazz or watch a show, and not feel like you are flushing the price of admission down the head.

Edited by Diplomacy

I have friends currently on the Legend of the Seas, and the package prices are quite a bit cheaper. They did say that when the ship goes to Australia, the prices will increase.

All drink prices, bottles of wine and drink packages are being increased on the next Legend cruise from Singapore to Freemantle which starts tomorrow - just found this out last night !!

Thanks everyone for your kind advice as we've never cruised before think we might go for the ultimate package as it's the only one that you can have cocktails with. But at £44 each day hope we drink enough to make it pay!!

Premium package includes cocktails - that's the one I always get. Ultimate just includes same as premium but speciality coffees and freshly squeezed OJ aswell I believe

Just checked my planner for cruise and all they are offering is select package at £27 or ultimate at £44:( No sign of premium. Think this is why I thought it had gone up as we were going to get premium package.

Just checked my planner for cruise and all they are offering is select package at £27 or ultimate at £44:( No sign of premium. Think this is why I thought it had gone up as we were going to get premium package.

Oh right! Maybe they are stopping it now for certain cruises.. and maybe gradually they will get rid of it

We are cruising for the first time in January on Legend of the Seas up the Queensland coast. I am also trying to work out if it is worth getting a drinks package for my husband and myself.

My husbane would have the non alcoholic package with soft drinks and he loves a coffee or two and I love having wine and some cocktails would be lovely also.

The alcoholic drinks package for me seems so expensive but I dont want to find out that paying for individual drinks is way more expensive. . I usually wouldn't drink every day at home but on vacation I'd love a few drinks every day.

Does everyone recommend the packages vs paying individually for drinks during the day?

Hard question to answer without knowing the quantity and type of drinks you will consume during the entire cruise.

Yes thats true :) Maybe total of 4 wines and 4 cocktails per day might be approximate amount? Its hard to quantify I guess without it sounding excessive :D I like spirits too but that is included in the most expensive package and that would be too much to pay. I was thinking of the premium package.

Yes thats true :) Maybe total of 4 wines and 4 cocktails per day might be approximate amount? Its hard to quantify I guess without it sounding excessive :D I like spirits too but that is included in the most expensive package and that would be too much to pay. I was thinking of the premium package.

The alcoholic drinks covered are identical in the Premium and Ultimate packages.

If you are drinking 4 glasses of wine and 4 cocktails every day, you will save money by getting the Premium package.

Edited by clarea

The alcoholic drinks covered are identical in the Premium and Ultimate packages.

If you are drinking 4 glasses of wine and 4 cocktails every day, you will save money by getting the Premium package.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if I could drink that every day but I guess I can give it a go! There seems a lot you need to know about cruising for the first time but I am looking forward to our first experience. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if I could drink that every day but I guess I can give it a go! There seems a lot you need to know about cruising for the first time but I am looking forward to our first experience. Thanks for your help.

Basically, if you will average about 5 drinks (either $12 glasses of wine or $12 cocktails) per day, the package will be less expensive.

We are in a suite and wonder if we will survive just without a package and have a cocktail of the day and then a few (complimentary) drinks in the lounge and a couple of bottles of wine with dinner. We haven't really (we sailed on the rebadged Island Escape years ago) sailed on a Royal Caribbean before but it sounds like pay as you go drinks might be expensive.....

We go in a suite too, and have bought the ultimate package. We don't want to limit our drinking to the concierge lounge, and we will for drink more than the package costs each day.

The price has increased since we bought the packages, but that is because the dollar has become much more expensive for us Norwegians.

The drink package prices are set in US dollars, so if you're paying in pounds the price may change due to currency fluctuations. The price in Australian dollars has definitely increased!

Another possibility is that the first price you saw may not have included the 18% gratuity which is automatically added to all packages. Some parts of the website don't include that and some do. Showing with gratuity included makes it appear to have a higher price.

Could this explain why I pre-paid $67 per day for the ultimate package, yet saw it advertised onboard for $55?

The other thing to remember is that soda and bottled water is also included in the package. Skip 1 or 2 drinks and replace by soda/water and you can still make out well on the package.

?? about bottle water and the drink package. If I am leaving the ship for a sponsored excursion, can I get more than 1 bottle of water to take with, or will they only allow me 1 bottle every so many minutes...:confused:

They will usually only give one bottle at a time. There is no time limit between bottles, so you can accumulate a few before the day of the excursion.