Delay in construction of new Lifou pier - itinerary changes

Royal Caribbean has just made an itinerary change for Voyager Of The Seas South Pacific Cruises 30 March 2015, removing Lifou as a port due to a delay in the construction of a new tender port. Lifou has been replaced with Mystery Island.

Does anyone have information as to what window of time the construction will be happening, and what voyages affected?

Thanks!

Royal Caribbean has just made an itinerary change for Voyager Of The Seas South Pacific Cruises 30 March 2015, removing Lifou as a port due to a delay in the construction of a new tender port. Lifou has been replaced with Mystery Island.

Does anyone have information as to what window of time the construction will be happening, and what voyages affected?

Thanks!

not sure about the tender port but you have the dates wrong....march 2015 has gone

Sorry don't have much more information than the Explorer 30 March 16 cruise has cancelled Lifou as there has been a delay with the pier and it won't be ready.

This information has come through for my clients that are booked on this cruise, direct from RCI.

I'm cruising to Lifou same week with Celebrity, I called Celebrity and they don't have any information yet for my cruise.

So who knows, it may only be a delay by a few days?

Do all cruise ships use the same pier? If so I find this a bit strange because we were there in late March and I thought the pier was in very good condition.

We loved Lifou and would return in a heartbeat. My wife and I took a mini bus tour that cost $25 each. We were told that the driver may not speak very good English but the lady that took us around was amazing. She was so nice and very informative. It turned out that my wife and I were the only 2 on this tour and it was a definite highlight of the trip.

Edited by bigdavefc

Do all cruise ships use the same pier? If so I find this a bit strange because we were there in late March and I thought the pier was in very good condition.

We loved Lifou and would return in a heartbeat. My wife and I took a mini bus tour that cost $25 each. We were told that the driver may not speak very good English but the lady that took us around was amazing. She was so nice and very informative. It turned out that my wife and I were the only 2 on this tour and it was a definite highlight of the trip.

We are scheduled to visit Lifou next month on Golden Princess. No word from Princess about not visiting.

Hi bigdavefc, did you arrange to do the tour before the cruise or did you arrange the tour on arrival? Sounds like what we would be interested in doing.

We are scheduled to visit Lifou next month on Golden Princess. No word from Princess about not visiting.

Hi bigdavefc, did you arrange to do the tour before the cruise or did you arrange the tour on arrival? Sounds like what we would be interested in doing.

We arranged it when we got there and just got lucky.

When you get off the tender boats you can see a few buildings from the pier. If you head towards them you will find a small market, a couple of food stalls and a departure point for the ships tours and up the back there was a desk were you can book private tours.

When you get off the tender boats you can see a few buildings from the pier. If you head towards them you will find a small market, a couple of food stalls and a departure point for the ships tours and up the back there was a desk were you can book private tours.

Thanks bigdavefc,

Just the info I needed. Will definitely be checking it out.:)

Thanks bigdavefc,

Just the info I needed. Will definitely be checking it out.:)

Update: voyager of the seas 9 feb 2016 itinerary has also removed lifou and replaced with port Vila, also itinerary order has changed.

However don't think this has anything to do with the pier constructions as cruises mid February are visiting lifou. Looks to be a standard itinerary change.

Edited by LuckiePuris

The local DE on the TA New Caledonia forum indicated that the jetty at Lifou was upgraded not all that long ago and as far as he is aware no work is scheduled for 2016. If Lifou is being by past it's probably due to itinerary changes.

The jetty looked fine when we were there in March. It was in excellent condition and looked very sturdy.

We were also there in March and it looked in great condition. The mystery is that RCI is the only cruise line that has cancelled this one voyage on 30 March and their reason is construction of a new pier. Could this be a different pier to the existing cruise line jetty? Could they be building an additional one?

Could they need all their community to assist in the pier construction, leaving not many people to assist tourists, which is why they're cancelled the one visit?

Voyages before and after 30 March sailing are visiting Lifou as normal.

Just got the email about the Feb 9th Voyager cruise, and they state this:

The below changes have been made due to the delay in construction of the new tender pier in Lifou, Loyalty Islands.

Such a shame, we've done 2 South Pacific cruises, and neither stopped at Lifou, so I was looking forward to it this time.