Cancelation

ash88

Hello. Does any body know if you can cancel with RCI and get refund or credit once you have paid in full? My father has passed away suddenly & travel insurance do not cover as our trip isn't until next month. I just feel i can not leave home that soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello. Does any body know if you can cancel with RCI and get refund or credit once you have paid in full? My father has passed away suddenly & travel insurance do not cover as our trip isn't until next month. I just feel i can not leave home that soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

If you are past the final payment date, then there will be a cancellation penalty. However, it will not hurt to call Royal Caribbean (if you booked directly) or your agent (if you used a travel agent) and see if something can be worked out.

Q: If I have to cancel my cruise, will I get a refund?

A: You will get a full refund if you notify us at least 75 days prior to your sailing date (60 days for 3 & 4-night cruises or 90 days for holiday sailings). Consult the chart below to determine cancellation charges applicable later.

Note: No refunds will be made if you do not show up for your cruise or if you interrupt or cancel your vacation once it has begun.

When calculating the days prior to sailing, the day of sailing should not be considered as one of the days. The day of sailing is considered the first day of the cruise, therefore, the penalty period will commence one day prior to the day of sailing.

The cancellation policy applies when reserving with our US Office only. Guests should contact their local Royal Caribbean International Office or Travel Agent for full details of applicable cancellation policies.

Effective August 1, 2010, new reservations will fall under the following cancellation schedule:

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-43 Deposit amount

42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

6 Nights or longer

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

CruiseTour

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

Holiday Sailings**:

1-5 nights

90+ No charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

63-43 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*

42-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

6 Nights or longer

90+ No charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

63-43 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*

42-22 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)**

21 or less No refund (excluding taxes and fees)

* Or deposit amount, whichever is greater.

** Holiday sailings are defined as sailings that occur over Christmas and/or New Year's day.

Reservations created prior to August 1, 2010 for all sailings will fall under the following cancellation schedule as follows:

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

7 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

6 - 9 Nights

70+ No charges

69-30 Deposit amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

10+ Nights

70+ No charges

69-30 Deposit amount

29-15 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

Holiday Sailings**:

6-8 nights

90+ No charges

89-30 Deposit Amount

29-8 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*

9+ nights

90+ No charges

89-30 Deposit Amount

29-15 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*

* Or deposit amount, whichever is greater.

** Holiday sailings are defined as sailings that occur over Christmas and/or New Year's day.

My condolences for the loss of your father.

Last year my MIL passed 2 weeks before our Quantum cruise. We choose not to cancel and it was a good healing time for the family. Kind of a escape, no one knew, no one asked how we where doing and it made us reflect on what is important. Everyone's circumstances are different but before you cancel think about it.

It was a different cruise for us more of a healing one than a fun time but our whole family needed that, especially my children.

My condolences for the loss of your father.

Last year my MIL passed 2 weeks before our Quantum cruise. We choose not to cancel and it was a good healing time for the family. Kind of a escape, no one knew, no one asked how we where doing and it made us reflect on what is important. Everyone's circumstances are different but before you cancel think about it.

It was a different cruise for us more of a healing one than a fun time but our whole family needed that, especially my children.

Same situation and experience for us, back in 2007. It all worked out for the best. But everyone and every family is different.

:)

I am very sorry for your loss. My advice would be to wait and see how things go between now and your cruise. Right now, you are not in the state of mind to enjoy a cruise vacation, but as you go through the grieving and healing process, that may change and you may feel up to taking the cruise. If not, then explore the options your travel insurance offers. You may need to see a doctor who will certify that you are medically unable to travel due to depression, anxiety, etc. in order to file a claim.

ash88 -- I'm so very sorry to hear about your father. I wish comfort and peace for you and your family. I just received a call a few days ago that my father collapsed at the store, he's currently in ICU. After 3 days of being unresponsive, today he is finally awake (but it's too early to predict his recovery). Our cruise is also next month, so we can relate. We've had to consider all outcomes.

I echo the responses by others so far. First, don't act too quickly..... maybe give it another few days, or a week. If any other family members are sailing with you, it very well may be a needed healing time for you all, as mentioned. If you decide that you're certain you don't want to go, call RCI and see if they are willing to work something out with you. Maybe they'll allow you to switch to a different date.

ash88 -- I'm so very sorry to hear about your father. I wish comfort and peace for you and your family. I just received a call a few days ago that my father collapsed at the store, he's currently in ICU. After 3 days of being unresponsive, today he is finally awake (but it's too early to predict his recovery). Our cruise is also next month, so we can relate. We've had to consider all outcomes.

I echo the responses by others so far. First, don't act too quickly..... maybe give it another few days, or a week. If any other family members are sailing with you, it very well may be a needed healing time for you all, as mentioned. If you decide that you're certain you don't want to go, call RCI and see if they are willing to work something out with you. Maybe they'll allow you to switch to a different date.

Best wishes to you, your father and your family.

Sorry for your loss. I agree wait a little bit and see how you feel. My mom passed away Dec 1 last year and we sailed on Jan 11th. I was a little worried but that time away did a lot to get me back to a little bit of a normal routine. Since you are past final payment and can't get your money back anyway maybe you will still feel good enough to go.

Edited by Nemomof3

So sorry for your loss ! Our prayers are with your family! My Dad passed away last year the day before we were to leave for our Freedom cruise. I called Royal that day to notify them, and they transferred some of the money to a new cruise ( port fees, shore excursion ....etc ) . But I went ahead and book the next available sail date that had rooms available , which happened to be two months later. Also we had insurance on the cruise which we received a short time later. I know its hard, and I know what your going thru, but we did that cruise in honor of my Dad. I would call Royal after things calm down and see what they tell you your options are !

First of all, so sorry for your loss. Hopefully all the happy memories that you have will get you through this very difficult time.

Your insurance should cover you as long as you provide the necessary paperwork required. It doesn't matter that you depart next week. Your insurance should cover you from the date you make final payment.

When my husband became ill and we had to cancel our cruise a week before departure, we were refunded every penny back with no questions asked. RCI refunded a percentage of the cruise fare, port taxes and fees and prepaid gratuities. After subtracting this amount from the total of what we paid, that amount was submitted to the insurance company.

You can also call RCI, explain your situation, as they are very compassionate in cases such as yours, as to letting those with similar circumstances reschedule their cruise. It's worth a call.

Edited by cruisenfever

First of all, so sorry for your loss. Hopefully all the happy memories that you have will get you through this very difficult time.

Your insurance should cover you as long as you provide the necessary paperwork required. It doesn't matter that you depart next week. Your insurance should cover you from the date you make final payment.

When my husband became ill and we had to cancel our cruise a week before departure, we were refunded every penny back with no questions asked. RCI refunded a percentage of the cruise fare, port taxes and fees and prepaid gratuities. After subtracting this amount from the total of what we paid, that amount was submitted to the insurance company.

You can also call RCI, explain your situation, as they are very compassionate in cases such as yours, as to letting those with similar circumstances reschedule their cruise. It's worth a call.

Although ash88 doesn't say it, I believe that what the insurance carrier is saying is that the funeral will be over and the death is not interfering with a trip that is at least three weeks away. Thus, the insurance company does not see the death as the reason for the cancellation.

This would be covered under a cancel for any reason clause.

Although ash88 doesn't say it, I believe that what the insurance carrier is saying is that the funeral will be over and the death is not interfering with a trip that is at least three weeks away. Thus, the insurance company does not see the death as the reason for the cancellation.

This would be covered under a cancel for any reason clause.

Got it.:)

I have no idea as I've never cruised RCI before (booked HOS 2017). I just want to say I'm very sorry for you loss

OP's cruise appears to have a Nov.3rd departure on Explorer as that is the roll call they are on.

They are just into the 50% of the cruise fare penalty period which goes up to 29 days prior so the 75% penalty period doesn't start until October 4th or almost four weeks away. This gives the OP some time to ponder if they really want to cancel. As others have said right now might not be the best time to make such a decision.

So sorry for your lost.

Edited by robtulipe

I suspect OP is Australian so this is the cancellation policy down under at

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Destinations&faqId=4871&faqSubjectId=293&faqType=faq

If the above is correct the 25% penalty phase ends on Sept.18th and the 50% starts Sept.19 and goes to Oct.3rd.

Standard Cruises and Cruisetours (Cruise portion only)

Days prior to Cruise Departure Cancellation Charges

151 or more days deposit is refundable

150 - 71 days - loss of deposit

70 - 46 days - 25% of fare *

45 - 31 days - 50% of fare *

30 - 15 days - 75% of fare *

14 days or less - 100% of fare

Edited by robtulipe

Thank you all for your kind words.. the world can really be a nice place at times 😊

Yes insurance do not see see any reason to cancel. No other family were coming with us so not sure if i can go that long without being able to contact home etc. If we have loose all our money so be it just needed to know if anyone had experienced this. All the info os extremely helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks x

First very sorry for your loss. We had a similar situation. My Dad passed away on April 11 and we were due to leave on our cruise on April 27. In my case my Mom is still alive and we could not leave her alone so soon after my Dad's passing. And there was a lot of paperwork that needed to be done.

We filed and our travel insurance paid for all of our expenses.

But I second those that say a cruise may be helpful. If you do not have any relatives at home that depend on you I would recommend going. That is what I would have done except as mentioned I could not leave my Mother.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who has given me their kind words.

Has anyone used the internet packages before as we decided we will still go on our holiday and use it as a healing process. I still want to be able to contact my family as we are extremely close. Has anyone used the internet on-board before?

I am thinking of just getting the internet packaged and maybe I can Skype home daily. I have asked RCI if they will help with the price but doubt they will which I completely understand if they won't. Just not sure if the internet can handle skype if it is too slow. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all :)

Thank you to everyone who has given me their kind words.

Has anyone used the internet packages before as we decided we will still go on our holiday and use it as a healing process. I still want to be able to contact my family as we are extremely close. Has anyone used the internet on-board before?

I am thinking of just getting the internet packaged and maybe I can Skype home daily. I have asked RCI if they will help with the price but doubt they will which I completely understand if they won't. Just not sure if the internet can handle skype if it is too slow. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all :)

Unless you are on Oasis or Quantum class, video Skype will likely not function.

Good for you in deciding to take your vacation. I believe it will be a positive step in your healing process.

As Bob pointed out, the Internet on most ships is too slow for Skype. The ships do have cell phone service, though. Check with your cellular carrier for what you may need to have this work. It's expensive, but may be worth it for your peace of mind.

As for other forms of communication, if you pay for onboard Internet service, you can actually setup your phone to send and receive text messages via WiFi instead of its cellular data connections. For iPhone users, the iMessage app does this automatically - just turn of everything (i.e. turn on airplane mode), then ONLY turn on the WiFi setting. For Android phone users, there are other text messaging apps similar to iMessage. For example, Verizon's Message+ app. Again, turn off all connections except WiFi, then connect to the ship's Internet service.

Sorry for your loss think the break will give to time to heal and recover mentally I took a few days away after my mam died a few years ago with my dad it was nice as we were amanomious and no one was asking every few minutes were we ok or prying re wifi service is poor I kept in contact with my family via face book messenger I set up a group text and sent it to my siblings and cousins and uncle who were anxious about my dad as he has had hear surgery