Heathrow to Central London, Best Way

Looking to find the easiest, maybe less expensive (don't always match up) way to go from Heathrow to Central London. Have considered booking a pickup service, but would like to know the pros and cons.

Arrival terminal is 3 or 5, not sure as of today. We will each have two or three checked bags plus a carryon. Currently trying to make it only two bags each plus a carryon.

I've searched and read on various sites and the amount of info gets to be overload level.

If you have any knowledge of making this route, would appreciate some experienced input. Thanks!

Arrival terminal is 3 or 5, not sure as of today.
Is this because you haven't yet chosen an airline/flight? If you know that, it's easy to find this out.

The other question is always: Where in "central London". It's a big place.

Other than a private car transfer, what other options would you consider? The main choices are private car transfer, taxi, shared shuttle transfer, train (plus a further transfer from Paddington to your destination), Tube (possibly plus a further transfer from some appropriate point to your destination), or coach (bus) (plus a further transfer from Victoria to your destination). There are others, but given how much luggage you have, they are probably only for masochists.

If you can tell us which other options are in the frame, we can tell you the pros and cons. But if you have basically already decided on a private car transfer, it's only a question of picking which one. And the answer to that (amongst the regular contenders) is that it barely matters.

Looking to find the easiest, maybe less expensive (don't always match up) way to go from Heathrow to Central London. Have considered booking a pickup service, but would like to know the pros and cons.

Arrival terminal is 3 or 5, not sure as of today. We will each have two or three checked bags plus a carryon. Currently trying to make it only two bags each plus a carryon.

I've searched and read on various sites and the amount of info gets to be overload level.

If you have any knowledge of making this route, would appreciate some experienced input. Thanks!

Well, first congrats for recognizing 'easiest' and 'cheapest' aren't necessarily the same thing.

I've taken most methods for travelling from LHR to Central London. And one thing that is important when looking at the options is where in Central London your ultimate destination is. For example, I quite like the Heathrow Express, but it doesn't really make sense if you're staying in Victoria.

At this point, I am duty-bound to urge you to reduce your luggage to 1 bag+carryon - you really don't need any more. And yes, I've travelled on the QM2, and yes I had 3 completely separate formal outfits packed. I still did it with a small rolling duffel + carryon.

Thank you Globaliser and Twickenham. I think what I should do is get my details in order and then come back to the thread. Central London, London in any regard is a big place, you're so right. One answer might not be the best if I'm in the other direction!

The hotel has not been decided as of this moment and that is the destination. You have both been very helpful. Thanks and I will check in after the reservation has been confirmed.

At this point, I am duty-bound to urge you to reduce your luggage to 1 bag+carryon - you really don't need any more. And yes, I've travelled on the QM2, and yes I had 3 completely separate formal outfits packed. I still did it with a small rolling duffel + carryon.

I know you are right, and it would make things better to not lug around so many cases. I should say to myself, that I will go on another crossing or cruise and get to use those pretty things the next time...

Tell yourself (and PAY Attention) -- all you need is one checked bag and one carry-on. Just do it! We are spending a week in late October before our Nov. 6 QM2 crossing home. Three checked bags per is insane - even two is unnecessary. More than one plus carry-on will make you hostage to your luggage.

Heathrow Express is probably fastest - but just gets you to Paddington Station - requiring a taxi from there. Our preferred way is the Picadilly Line direct from LHR - to Gloucester Road - under an hour - at the corner of Cromwell Road, which is lined with hotels in easy walking distance. Radisson Edwardian Vandedrbilt is our favorite, but there are many others.

Gloucester Road is very convenient for getting around - in addition to Picadily, District and Central lines also stop there.

If you go on line looking at "hotels Cromwell Road London", you can check out options.

Currently trying to make it only two bags each plus a carryon.

If you don't heed the advice of others on this thread, life will be pretty impossible using public transport with each of you hauling "only"( ;)) two bags + carry-on.

In which case you need to pre-book a private transfer, at a one-way cost of around £45 to £55, depending on the location of your central London hotel. (sorry, no personal experience for suggesting operator names)

Simply taking a cab from the rank at your airport terminal will cost you up to double.

With more manageable luggage, other options might be possible - bus, tube, Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains, again depending on the location of your hotel.

When choosing a hotel you might also want to consider onward transportation to your cruise ship, especially if your stay in London is a short one.

So:

- how many nights in London?

- where will you be cruising from?

- have you figured how many bags you'll settle for?

- how mobile are you? Especially with luggage.

- do you have a preference for a hotel brand, style, price?

- anything else that will sway your decisions?

Your answers will significantly whittle-down the myriad options that are overloading and frying your brain :).

JB :)

Tell yourself (and PAY Attention) -- all you need is one checked bag and one carry-on. Just do it! We are spending a week in late October before our Nov. 6 QM2 crossing home. Three checked bags per is insane - even two is unnecessary. More than one plus carry-on will make you hostage to your luggage.

Heathrow Express is probably fastest - but just gets you to Paddington Station - requiring a taxi from there. Our preferred way is the Picadilly Line direct from LHR - to Gloucester Road - under an hour - at the corner of Cromwell Road, which is lined with hotels in easy walking distance. Radisson Edwardian Vandedrbilt is our favorite, but there are many others.

Gloucester Road is very convenient for getting around - in addition to Picadily, District and Central lines also stop there.

If you go on line looking at "hotels Cromwell Road London", you can check out options.

I know what you mean by hostage. It pains me to think of dealing with that many bags. I have watched others do so and it's not something I want to do.

I have already put one bag back in the basement. It's too big and there's no way I am lugging that around. If I could sell it I would. The high price of checked bags (first one free) makes me want to take just the ones you said. Will see how my shoe situation goes...

I'll be away from home for about three weeks. That includes driving across states, visiting with family, then eight days in and around London, then the crossing back to the US. After that, more visiting and driving. So, closer to four weeks away. I already plan to do laundry for the casual clothes, which cuts down on some packed items.

I thought I could manage a carryon and two bags on public transport. You think that is not doable?

John Bull

Quote:

If you don't heed the advice of others on this thread, life will be pretty impossible using public transport with each of you hauling "only"( ) two bags + carry-on.

In which case you need to pre-book a private transfer, at a one-way cost of around £45 to £55, depending on the location of your central London hotel. (sorry, no personal experience for suggesting operator names)

Simply taking a cab from the rank at your airport terminal will cost you up to double.

With more manageable luggage, other options might be possible - bus, tube, Heathrow Express or Heathrow Connect trains, again depending on the location of your hotel.

When choosing a hotel you might also want to consider onward transportation to your cruise ship, especially if your stay in London is a short one.

So:

- how many nights in London? 5 or 6 plus a couple of days elsewhere.

- where will you be cruising from? Southampton

- have you figured how many bags you'll settle for?Not yet, whittling them down.

- how mobile are you? Especially with luggage. Can manage to wheel two and throw one! Just kidding.

- do you have a preference for a hotel brand, style, price? Working on that night and day, no decision yet.

- anything else that will sway your decisions?A miracle. :p

Your answers will significantly whittle-down the myriad options that are overloading and frying your brain . I completely agree and the other party who shall not be named as to protect my innocence :rolleyes: has been dragging his feet and needs to speak up.

JB

SteveH2508 2 or 3 checked bags each + carry-on = hiring a truck to get around!

CC mantra #1 - bring half the luggage and twice the money you expect.

I believe that with a practice packing, planned laundry, and not buying loads of junk to take home, I will get the suitcases down to a manageable level. My checked bags aren't the biggest and the very biggest case I have is not coming with me.

Money, you are right on that account. Thanks, Steve.

When I started this thread, the first stop from Heathrow was somewhere in Central London. That's no longer the plan.

I am going to make the first day upon landing at Heathrow a trip to Windsor and Eton. Going from Heathrow by train and maybe a taxi from the train station to the inn. The National Rail site shows a bus part way and then the train. Changing trains 2 times. I am arriving at Terminal 5. Instead of backtracking to Windsor after being in London, I thought this day on arrival might help me with the jet lag.

I could look into a prearranged car pickup from Heathrow to Windsor. Any idea of cost? The two don't look very far away from one another.

Was going to try and get the hotel in the area of Waterloo, if possible. Boarding the Southwest Train in Waterloo to Portsmouth.

I'll get the Oyster card for the tube and bus lines.

After London, going to Portsmouth for a day or two. Someone wants to visit the ships and the D Day Museum. Then going to Southampton the day before the ship leaves.

I thought I could manage a carryon and two bags on public transport. You think that is not doable?[/color][/size]

No, I don't think that's doable. Remember, you'll probably also have a purse, plus you want to keep a hand free for handrails and ticket machines. Realistically, a medium-sized wheeled suitcase with a carry-on that can attach to the pull handle is the most you want to take.

When I started this thread, the first stop from Heathrow was somewhere in Central London. That's no longer the plan.

I am going to make the first day upon landing at Heathrow a trip to Windsor and Eton. Going from Heathrow by train and maybe a taxi from the train station to the inn. The National Rail site shows a bus part way and then the train. Changing trains 2 times. I am arriving at Terminal 5. Instead of backtracking to Windsor after being in London, I thought this day on arrival might help me with the jet lag.

I could look into a prearranged car pickup from Heathrow to Windsor. Any idea of cost? The two don't look very far away from one another.

Was going to try and get the hotel in the area of Waterloo, if possible. Boarding the Southwest Train in Waterloo to Portsmouth.

I'll get the Oyster card for the tube and bus lines.

After London, going to Portsmouth for a day or two. Someone wants to visit the ships and the D Day Museum. Then going to Southampton the day before the ship leaves.

A couple of thoughts on this plan:

-Everyone deals differently with jetlag. Personally I'm one that needs a short nap on arrival, then out and about getting my bearings and into bed at my usual time. I don't like to have any definite plans, as I know my body won't follow.

-While it feels counter-intuitive to backtrack, it probably would be easier (and not much longer) to go to Windsor from Central London.

I thought I could manage a carryon and two bags on public transport. You think that is not doable?
I can do that. I have done it when each bag has weighed 32 kg. But I have been using the Tube almost daily for 30 years. I wouldn't recommend that a newcomer to London even tries this.

No, I don't think that's doable. Remember, you'll probably also have a purse, plus you want to keep a hand free for handrails and ticket machines. Realistically, a medium-sized wheeled suitcase with a carry-on that can attach to the pull handle is the most you want to take.

That sounds reasonable. I'd probably wear the pocketbook/purse with a long strap across to leave both hands free- at least for the portion of the journey with suitcases. Stacking the case through the handle is what I am considering. If all else fails, a taxi/cab might be the last resort.

A couple of thoughts on this plan:

-Everyone deals differently with jetlag. Personally I'm one that needs a short nap on arrival, then out and about getting my bearings and into bed at my usual time. I don't like to have any definite plans, as I know my body won't follow.

-While it feels counter-intuitive to backtrack, it probably would be easier (and not much longer) to go to Windsor from Central London.

I couldn't do a short nap, I know I would be either wide awake, thinking I'm missing out - or sleep way too long and actually miss out. :D I did consider doing the opposite, London then Windsor, but a slower pace first thing after travelling and the plane seemed more appealing. I'm going to want some fresh air and a walk.

The main reason I chose this way, is the State Apartments are closed on the only other day we could fit in the visit to the castle. I plan on not getting stressed if the weather or other closure crops up, just go with the flow.

Globaliser

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastLilac View Post

I can do that. I have done it when each bag has weighed 32 kg. But I have been using the Tube almost daily for 30 years. I wouldn't recommend that a newcomer to London even tries this.

The only times I have ridden the Tube, taken the London buses was with one bag and a pocketbook- and that was when I was able to lift things a lot easier than now. A taxi is sounding more appealing.

Thanks for the warnings and good advice!:)

Windsor is indeed only about 7 miles from Heathrow.

From terminal 5, cheapest by direct bus route 77

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/077Heathrow.htm

From other Heathrow terminals it's rather more complicated & time-consuming.

Easiest is by pre-arranged taxi (under £20 e/w if you use a reliable Windsor-based taxi operator such as http://windsorcabs.co.uk/ rather than the Heathrow-based vultures).

Most expensive is taking a cab from the rank at the airport.

But ...............

- some folk are whacked after an overnite trans-Atlantic.

- and you'll need to store your luggage at Heathrow (no facilities in Windsor), which means either the night at Sofitel at T5 (I think that's the only hotel at T5) or left-luggage at the terminal, thus a return to Heathrow before continuing into central London.

With 5 or 6 days in London, convenience to London's sights & transport (a tube station, & possibly the ho-ho) is way more important than convenience to Heathrow or Waterloo. And a convenient hotel saves a lot of time & grief switching from daytime mode to evening mode.

Probably best at this stage to assume a private transfer from Heathrow (about £45 to £55) and possibly from your London hotel to Waterloo (about £6 to £25 by taxi from central London hotels).

A hotel in or near County Hall is central, but less expensive than other central areas because it's on the south bank of the river. Right by the London Eye & boat pier. Ho-ho route & tube stations. Easily walkable with sensible luggage to Waterloo station. And easily walkable to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Churchill's War Rooms, & the various sights of the Mall from Parliament Square to Trafalgar Square. Good walks & range of eateries & drinking holes along the South Bank as far as Tate Modern & Shakespeare's Globe.

Or Victoria, to the west & a little less convenient, gives you a wide range of private & chain hotels and a good compromise between cost & convenience.

But other areas of central London will also be close to a tube station.

Since at least one journey with luggage (Waterloo to Portsmouth) will be by public transport ( private transfer would cost £100+) you certainly need to address the luggage situation - you really need to limit that to a maximum of one large & one cabin bag each.

Trains from Waterloo to Portsmouth every half-hour, if you buy a regular ticket the cost is up to £35. http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

But, except for sunday travel, you can pre-purchase Waterloo to Portsmouth tickets for as little as £6 (or even £1 at daft o'clock in the morning) via https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

If you buy Megatrain tickets the choice is limited to only one train every two hours, you have to pre-book & specify a time, & the tickets can't be amended or refunded. Nonetheless it's a big saving. :)

Megatrain tix available from about 6 weeks out.

Hotels in Portsmouth are mainly along the seafront of its conjoined twin, the holiday resort of Southsea. Handy to the D-Day museum, the adjacent (free) little Southsea Castle, various seafront attractions, and seafront promenade looking across to the Isle of Wight. (avoid the Travelodge, it's right alongside the funfair)

The only decent hotel convenient to the historic dockyard & ships is the Holiday Inn Express at Gunwharf Quays. Gunwharf Quays, formerly the site of the re-armament quays for the Royal Navy, is a newish shopping & leisure complex with the Spinnaker Tower as it's corner-post.

For Holiday Inn Express take the train to the end of the line, Portsmouth Harbour. For Southsea it makes little odds whether you get off the train at Portsmouth&Southsea or Portsmouth Harbour, you'll need a short taxi hop from either.

Southsea seafront to Gunwharf/dockyard is about 30 minutes on foot (attractive if you take the waterfront route via Old Portsmouth, the harbour entrance & the Square & Round Towers) or a short bus or £6 taxi ride.

Portsmouth to Southampton is under an hour by frequent direct train or bus - your destination is Southampton central rail station or Southampton coach station, a short taxi hop from any cruise terminal. There's no problem in making this journey on the morning of your cruise rather than the day before.

Leave the other half to his slumbers, it's all starting to come together :p

I think the OP was suggesting the first night in Windsor too: "Going from Heathrow by train and maybe a taxi from the train station to the inn."

That makes more sense (although Heathrow to Windsor by train doesn't!), being able to crash in Windsor when jet-lag kicks in. But then another transfer to another hotel in London the next day?

I think the OP was suggesting the first night in Windsor too: "Going from Heathrow by train and maybe a taxi from the train station to the inn."

That makes more sense (although Heathrow to Windsor by train doesn't!), being able to crash in Windsor when jet-lag kicks in. But then another transfer to another hotel in London the next day?

Oooops, I missed that bit :o

In which case even the direct route 77 bus would be a bit of a pain with luggage. And I wouldn't contemplate bus/train/train even without luggage - I want a simpler life.

So to Windsor by the number 77 (then probably a short taxi hop to a Windsor hotel) if you don't mind the hassle, or by booking a Windsor-based private transfer if you don't mind the cost.

A Windsor hotel will be more expensive - and do check the location cos some count places like Slough as "Windsor".

But yes, the opportunity to crash-out without further travel. And, if you're shattered from the flight, you can put off exploring Windsor til the next day & travel into London late in the day.

And yes, Windsor to Waterloo is easy by frequent direct trains - though best to travel after about 9am, after the morning commuters have reached their destination.