old and new

1of4

I was lucky enough to obtain a copy of the new Cruise Atlas last night. It is fabulous and eagerly awaited and I enjoyed flipping through the 225 full colour pages (as opposed to looking at them on-line).

Then today, when cleaning out some old "In & Out" magazines from Barbados I came across the first HAL cruise planner I had when planning our first cruise in August 2011...all 75 pages of it. It spanned from September 2011 through November 2012 and has no pricing but all the itineraries for the same ships that exist today (includes Ryndam and Statendam.

I am not sure if this document was the initial Cruise Atlas or an abridged version that I picked up on the Volendam. But the size difference is very noticeable. Also that it spanned 14 months instead of 12.

Because of the nature of it, it's not as nice as paper, but the cruise atlas is available online. I do a tin of reading on my iPad but some things are nicer to hold in your hands. HAL told me they don't mail it out any more. Guess you have to pick it up on a cruise or through a TA.