Formal Night on Transatlantic

Groucho

Hi, all!

My wife and I are considering a transatlantic cruise and are wondering if on formal nights the dress is more "formal" than on a typical Caribbean cruise. My assumption is the guests will tend to more retirees as schools are in session, and by that reasioning the dress may not be as casual as a Caribbean cruise.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We have been on MANY Transatlantic's. The early ones(a few years ago) you would see more people even me dressed in suit and tie and tuxes. Now days it is much less formal. You will see a few dressed to the NINES, but most men in a sports coat, maybe with tie or like me a designer T shirt, if I even take that. A more modern crowd and multinational crowd now days, many use it to get back and forth from Europe after long stays/short vacations in the US.

Luggage for many people is of a smaller size and dress for or after cruise adventures is more important.

I guess to really answer your question, You will see most every thing from rags to riches.

Haven't done a TA for 2 years, but considering there are not that many, that's not that long ago.

Personally thought the TA was much more formal than the Caribbean. Men in tuxes or suits and women in cocktail dresses etc. Definitely an older, well dressed group. Large number of C&A diamond and above on board and followed suggested dress code.

My first TA was less than a year and a half ago. A lot of the men wore dress pants and dress shirt with or without a tie on formal nights. There were a lot of black slacks and sparkly tops or cocktail dresses on the ladies. The luggage restrictions for flying have had large impact on how elaborate ladies' dresses are. That's also what I am planning to pack for the upcoming one in late October.

Having done 4 TAs in the last 18 months I'd say it is a bit more formal than Caribbean, but not much. That should not have any influence on how you dress - wear something appropriate that's good enough.

You are right on your assumption about the demographics.