Questions about sailing out of Baltimore

dcruisers

2 weeks from today we will be sailing out of Baltimore for the first time.

We have been on many cruises and have been on the Pride sailing the Mexican Riviera 5 years ago. But this is our first out of Baltimore. Looking forward to not having to fly!!

We do have a few questions....... What time is the muster drill?

We hope it won't interfere with seeing the Chesapeake Bay bridge.

Which nights are formal nights?

My husband isn't interested in bringing his tux this cruise...... So is wearing a sport coat with a golf shirt underneath acceptable? Or should he bring a dress shirt and tie?

Finally, we will be going to HMC for the first time. Is there any shade for those who prefer not getting too much sun?

Thank you fellow cruisers!

We were just on the Pride a little more than a year ago, which was our second time aboard. Not having to fly to the cruise is great option, usually much less stress. I don't remember seeing anyone in a tux on our last couple of cruises, so sport coat should be fine. And we were about to be on deck for the bridge IIRC.

HMC was the most intense sun I've ever experienced, like we were being cooked. The sand is very white and VERY reflective too. That said, it was beautiful and I'm glad we got to see it. If it's not too late try to get a cabana, we had one and it did give us some escape from the sun.

Word to the wise, I hope you're not sensitive to vibrations because the last time we were on the Pride it just about ruined our cruise. The constant rattling, which got worse the further aft you went, was inescapable. I've been on several other cruises including the Pride several years ago and never had such an experience. Hopefully they've fixed it because we'll never go through that again. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but I hope you have a great time.

2 weeks from today we will be sailing out of Baltimore for the first time.

We have been on many cruises and have been on the Pride sailing the Mexican Riviera 5 years ago. But this is our first out of Baltimore. Looking forward to not having to fly!!

We do have a few questions....... What time is the muster drill? About 4 I believe.

We hope it won't interfere with seeing the Chesapeake Bay bridge.They will not depart until you have had the muster drill. If you have early dining, that will interfere with seeing the Bay bridge. Also, the Francis Scott Key Bridge is about 1/2 hour from departure

Which nights are formal nights?

My husband isn't interested in bringing his tux this cruise...... So is wearing a sport coat with a golf shirt underneath acceptable? just fine Or should he bring a dress shirt and tie? only if you want. I have seen men with just a dress shirt and tie, no jacket.

Finally, we will be going to HMC for the first time. Is there any shade for those who prefer not getting too much sun? there are clam shells you can rent

Thank you fellow cruisers!

Previous poster mentioned vibration. We felt it mostly in the aft section of ship. Did not affect our cabin or cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

We cruise in 2 weeks. See you onboard.

Edited by retiredgram

Thank you both for the great info.

I will look into getting a cabana - there will be 4 of us. How many can fit in the cabana?

Also, sounds like "formal" on the Pride is flexible compared to our Celebrity cruises.

Retiredgram.......look forward to seeing you on the ship!

Don't know if this will help---but we went on the Pride last month (as a gift to our granddaughter). We did the "other" itinerary, so the ports will be different, but here is a link to our "photo album"--it will give you an idea of life on the Pride. If you want to see any shots larger just click on them. You'll notice that, after the briefing, we had plenty of time to observe the bridge.

August 2015 Carnival Pride

Don't know if this will help---but we went on the Pride last month (as a gift to our granddaughter). We did the "other" itinerary, so the ports will be different, but here is a link to our "photo album"--it will give you an idea of life on the Pride. If you want to see any shots larger just click on them. You'll notice that, after the briefing, we had plenty of time to observe the bridge.

Very nice photos. I think the OP was asking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Your photo, if I am not mistaken, is the Key Bridge (Francis Scott Key Bridge). Even that bridge gives you the elusion of not being able to fit under. The Bay bridge usually appears during early dining. It is a double span across the bay, which I am sure you know.

Thanks for the link to your photos. We are looking forward to seeing the updates.

We did a Pride B2B in May and had no issues at all with vibration. I had read about it before our cruise and was expecting it. Have been to HMC a number of times. BEAUTIFUL PLACE. You will fall in love with it! There is shade by the bbq station/eating area. We have never rented a cabana or a clam shell, but it IS hot. I always pack a few folding umbrellas in our suitcase and carry that to shore and they help. Have a GREAT CRUISE. LOVED the Pride and that is an awesome itinerary too!

Been on the Pride 4 times. Love it. I have had an aft cabin 3 of those time and had no problems with the vibrations. I think some people are more sensitive than others to it. It is a moving vessel after all.

We have missed HMC twice because of weather. It is a tender port so it can be hit or miss. We got a cabana last year and best money spent. Even if they are showing none available. Keep checking(daily) and go to Guest services as soon as you board to put your name on a wait list in case someone cancels. It does happen. It says for 4 people. We had 5 and had a bunch more people "stop by" plenty of room and snacks for everyone.

Enjoy the Pride!

The following thread, post #5 & #8 have some good info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=203217

The Key Bridge is about 25 minutes after sailaway and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland is just about an hour after that, maybe less. Then, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel connecting Virginia's Eastern Shore with the Virginia mainland at Virginia Beach near Norfolk is about 7-8 hours later.

Enjoy your cruise.

There were 4 of us on the trip and the cabana was plenty big, it's open air (not an enclosed room) so it's very airy

You may be able to reserve a cabana under HMC excursions. We have one reserved for June for our party of 4.

You will still have to visit the shore excursion desk once on board to choose the actual cabana number. But reserving (and paying for it) through your reservation/booking ensures that you will get one! [emoji6]

Thank you all for the great info!

I checked on getting a cabana but - disappointed that they are sold out.

Retiredgram ..., you mentioned clam shells to rent on HMC. Is that different than the cabana and do you rent the when you get to the beach?

Thank you all for the great info!

I checked on getting a cabana but - disappointed that they are sold out.

Retiredgram ..., you mentioned clam shells to rent on HMC. Is that different than the cabana and do you rent the when you get to the beach?

We have never rented one, but I believe you go to the rental station on the beach. I have seen people pick one out and later pay someone. I would pick mine first and leave someone in it and go and see where to pay.

Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe someone else can.

I found an old thread that said you can pre rent these at the excursion desk onboard . Don't know if this is true or not as it was an OLD thread. This is a copy off the thread...If Carnival doesn't have the online ordering option, there is a Waterfront Sports Shack right when you get off at HMC and there should be plenty of clamshells available. This is the old thread I am referring to.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1031224

Edited by retiredgram

on HMC try to get a lounger directly in front of one of the villa's. the villa's will give you some shade in the afternoon.

also if you are going to HMC you should also be going to Grand Turk as part of your cruise. watch this port the sun is very strong. on our last visit it was overcast and looked like it was going to rain but never did. i still got burned like a lobster and there was hardly any direct sun light.

on HMC try to get a lounger directly in front of one of the villa's. the villa's will give you some shade in the afternoon.

also if you are going to HMC you should also be going to Grand Turk as part of your cruise. watch this port the sun is very strong. on our last visit it was overcast and looked like it was going to rain but never did. i still got burned like a lobster and there was hardly any direct sun light.

That's why I always use sunscreen even on a hazy day. I'm very fair and had many horrible burns in my younger days.

Thanks for the photos - they are great and your granddaughter looks like she had a lot of fun. In the progression of photos you could see her go from tense to relaxed, to having fun.

I'm taking my brother, sister in law, and their 3 kids next August on the Pride (along with my parents). My niece will be 13 turning 14 a week after we get off the ship. You give me hope that we won't be faced with a sullen teenager the entire week!

We are heading out in the Pride next month and wondering if anyone stayed at the best western Baltimore and used the free park and shuttle service? Any reviews would be appreciated:)

We stayed at the BW on Dorsey Road in ELKRIDGE. Is this the hotel you booked?

We are heading out in the Pride next month and wondering if anyone stayed at the best western Baltimore and used the free park and shuttle service? Any reviews would be appreciated:)

We were on the Pride sailing on Sept. 6, and stayed at the Best Western on O'Donnell St. the night before. It was our second time staying there doing the package that included parking the car there for the week. Room was clean, breakfast was fine as well. It was very convenient. The shuttle service was greatly, greatly improved and so organized, compared to our first stay there. The shuttle left for the port around 11:15 and we got to the port within minutes, by around 11:25. We waited inside after check-in for about 45 min., and we were having lunch on the Lido deck around 12:30ish and in our cabin at 1:30. Have a great cruise!!!

We were on the Pride sailing on Sept. 6, and stayed at the Best Western on O'Donnell St. the night before. It was our second time staying there doing the package that included parking the car there for the week. Room was clean, breakfast was fine as well. It was very convenient. The shuttle service was greatly, greatly improved and so organized, compared to our first stay there. The shuttle left for the port around 11:15 and we got to the port within minutes, by around 11:25. We waited inside after check-in for about 45 min., and we were having lunch on the Lido deck around 12:30ish and in our cabin at 1:30. Have a great cruise!!!

We are staying there this Saturday. Is 11:25 the earliest shuttle to the port that they have? Also; what is the procedure for arranging the shuttle to pick you up after the cruise.

Thanks.