Not allowed into the Studio Lounge

FLchick3

All you have to do is go to the solo meet ups that are in the studio lounge each afternoon and open to all solo travelers. Then you can meet whoever and sign up for whatever.

I'll be in a studio so I'm thinking i'll stumble into the lounge late nite for tea and cookies. :) I'll be the one in a hoodie looking sleepy.

Just adding my two sense, as I stayed in a studio the first time I was on NCL and loved it. However, this time, an interior room was cheaper than the studio lounge. So that's what I went with.

I would like access to the studio lounge to be able to meet other solo travelers. I want to do the dining package and it sure would be nice to dine with others. Maybe they need to keep a sheet at guest services where other solos outside of the studios can sign up for get togethers. That way those who didn't book a studio aren't going into the lounge to eat cookies and drink cappuccinos. I understand the perks of staying in a studio as I've done so before, but they need to make it more accessible for other solo travelers without others getting upset because the outside are getting in.

I'm hoping by the time I sail the Epic again in January, I will be able to meet other solo travelers either in the lounge or outside the lounge.

It seems now that NCL is offering perks such as UDP or the unlimited dining.

If I booked a solo balcony I would get one of these but don't really think they would benefit me for thefollowing reasons.

#1- I don't drink that much- I did the wine tasting play, latitudes party and had some free wine at dinner provided to us but don't purchase drinks throughout the day.

#2- I seem to average perhaps just one visit to the speciality restaurants a cruise- I find that with the other solo diners we do the MDR's nights 1,2 and always 7 for the last night together. Some of the middle of the week ones are wildcards, perhaps people are in port or on excursions.

I did meet some solos who had the dining package and we would hang out in the solo hour and then later on- I might try this route. As much as I enjoy eating with others in the MDR I loved Cagney's and eating in just under an hour and having more time outside.

I found when I had the studio on the Epic- the lounge was great to kind of have a space to stretch out in but I prefer being outdoors more. I find the weather is usually so nice that the hour in the lounge with others while fun is more than enough time inside

I would agree with you that perhaps NCL could find a way to centralize sign up sheets etc,,, as to seperate 1) dining etc.. from 2) the access to the lounge itself

*However I actually picked my last balconies close to the studio area

This thread is making me feel like the unwanted stepchild. LOL

As a past studio resident, I adore the concept of studios. Loved showing them off, too. I have absolutely nothing against solo travelers staying in other rooms being able to share in the studio lounge. The more, the merrier, in my opinion. However, the keyword was: solo travelers. I do take issue with non-solos coming into the lounge (such as family members, kids, etc). It should be for solo travelers only.

For those of you who are very much against any non-studio people being in the lounge since they didn't "pay for a studio", I offer this thought: there could be more solo travelers than studio rooms. Meaning there could be people on the ship who would have booked a studio room but were unable to due to the studios being sold out.

I'm currently in a similar predicament for my upcoming Escape cruise. I had booked a studio on a Getaway cruise that was canceled by NCL. They bumped me to the Escape, but since the studio rooms were already all booked up, they put me in an inside instead. I was hoping to still be able to use the lounge, since it was not my choice that I am no longer staying in a studio...but according to some people, I would not be welcomed. :(

One thing I enjoyed about being a solo passenger on my past cruises was the feeling of community and friendship between the solo travelers. Kind of disappointed to see that such may not be the case on future cruises.

Edited by dreamr

If you want to meet solo passengers, then come to the solo meet up in the lounge. That's what solo travelers who are staying elsewhere but want to meet other solos are supposed to do. Outside of that time, it's for the studio cabins. Not sure why it's so complicated.

Edited by Tura Lura

If you want to meet solo passengers, then come to the solo meet up in the lounge. That's what solo travelers who are staying elsewhere but want to meet other solos are supposed to do. Outside of that time, it's for the studio cabins. Not sure why it's so complicated.

It's not complicated, just disappointing. And, as someone earlier mentioned, it does exclude people from using the whiteboard, which is something that helps solo travelers on the whole, not just the studio residents.

Guess I just don't see the point to being so exclusive? I certainly wouldn't have turned others away when I was staying in the studios. But to each their own, I suppose. ;)

This is my first time so I'm just guessing, but I assume it's because 1) it's a perk of the studios since they have no fridge, mini bar etc. 2) safety- key access limited 3) if you give key access to anyone "solo" how is that defined? Anyone in a cabin by themselves? I assume that would include a lot of folks traveling with others who could share access which is how kids ended up in there etc.

I think it's just easier to keep it to studio cabins and then open to others for a couple hours each day during the meet ups.

This is my first time so I'm just guessing, but I assume it's because 1) it's a perk of the studios since they have no fridge, mini bar etc. 2) safety- key access limited 3) if you give key access to anyone "solo" how is that defined? Anyone in a cabin by themselves? I assume that would include a lot of folks traveling with others who could share access which is how kids ended up in there etc.

I think it's just easier to keep it to studio cabins and then open to others for a couple hours each day during the meet ups.

All of this. And the crew would have to restock everything more frequently. I saw a young boy getting cookies from the studio lounge in June, for example. Now before you jump on me for picking on a kid getting cookies, I'm just pointing out why they try to keep the studio lounge amenities for studio guests. If Haven was sold out, you couldn't exactly go and demand they let you in because you INTENDED to book Haven.

I've started to add my 2 cents a few times but never completed my thoughts on this topic because I'm a first time cruiser, first time solo. I think that, as a passenger who has yet to experience the solo studio I shouldn't be commenting. I'm in the solo cabins on the Breakaway 10/4 to Bermuda. I do have something to say about the "exclusive" aspect of it.

Last year I was at an all-inclusive beach resort. There were 463 couples and me, the only single male. Nobody talked to me. Everywhere I went, I was met with the evil eye - Don't talk to our women and don't you dare even look at our lounge chair. I wound up spending much of that trip locked in my room on the balcony.

Cruises appeared just as horrific - tailored to couples and families. It was the exclusive solo lounge which sold me on the cruise. Finally a place to escape from the nasty glaring looks of couples and families - yet, not an equally awkward and horrific-looking "single's cruise." I do not like being "matched up" like I'm some sort of defective person. The solo (not necessarily single) group appears to be exactly what I am looking for.

There appears to be no comfortable way to enjoy a complementary breakfast and coffee in a solo cabin unless you like balancing food on your lap on the edge of your bed. Hence, the nook where I can grab a coffee and pastry or something in the morning and be sociable at the same time. Terrific idea.

I see a few areas for improvement on NCL's part. Perhaps the lounge access should be an "add on" complementary for solo cabin dwellers. I don't see people complaining that they can't access Haven without paying for it. If you want to access the lounge, book a solo cabin. If you get bumped or upgraded against your will, you take your access add-on with you. If you book a balcony and traveling alone, have card key access between 5 and 7pm.

Don't think the whiteboard should be made public else the couples and kids show up. They have run of the entire ship and I think it's great there's an exclusive place dedicated to those who choose not to mingle with couples and families.

Then again, I'm just a passenger so take my opinion for what it's worth. But, I wouldn't be on a cruise if it weren't for the solo lounge as advertised. It sounds like fun.

I'm on the same 10-4 cruise in the studio cabin. First time for me as well. I'll see you there!

And I also specifically decided to cruise based on there being studio cabins with the associated lounge, that's what sold me.

Edited by Tura Lura

exclusive[/b] solo lounge which sold me on the cruise. Finally a place to escape from the nasty glaring looks of couples and families - yet' date=' not an equally awkward and horrific-looking "single's cruise." I do not like being "matched up" like I'm some sort of defective person. The solo (not necessarily single) group appears to be exactly what I am looking for.[/quote']

But it's not an exclusive solo lounge.......that's my point. I think an exclusive solo lounge would be a good thing. What it is, though, is an exclusive STUDIO lounge. It shouldn't be marketed or discussed as a "solo lounge", because it isn't. It's a perq for studio-cabin passengers only, and other solo passengers aren't included.

If a passenger traveling solo wants a balcony, he/she will be excluded from the lounge. If a solo passenger books too late and the studio cabins are already sold out, he/she will be excluded. It's not for passengers traveling solo - only for a limited, exclusive group of solo passengers.

I can't speak for the Getaway nor Epic, but I can definitely say for the Breakaway solo lounge - its not as big as people think it is. Its two little rooms connected by stairs that fits 20-25 seating each and standing about another 15-20; pretty cramped if there's 200 confirmed soloers with 59 in the studio rooms(because that how many studio rooms are on the Breakaway).

Its not to discourage anyone from wanting access but to give perspective why NCL limits access at all times but the solo meet. The only genuine thing the lounge has for people not in studio rooms is free expresso/latte/cappuccino/Orange juice; otherwise, not missing much because snacks can found in other complimentary places on the ship like the O'Sheenan's and the buffet. Especially when a balcony is involved because its balcony, it speaks for itself against a studio room on a Breakaway-class ship.

Regarding the whiteboard - I must be one of few people on CC that brings a pen and paper to write down what's on the board plus make plans on whim with or without a other people. Again, I can't speak for others, not everyone is like me to pull that off on the fly on vacation or everday.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

But it's not an exclusive solo lounge.......that's my point. I think an exclusive solo lounge would be a good thing. What it is, though, is an exclusive STUDIO lounge. It shouldn't be marketed or discussed as a "solo lounge", because it isn't. It's a perq for studio-cabin passengers only, and other solo passengers aren't included.

If a passenger traveling solo wants a balcony, he/she will be excluded from the lounge. If a solo passenger books too late and the studio cabins are already sold out, he/she will be excluded. It's not for passengers traveling solo - only for a limited, exclusive group of solo passengers.

Yes its a "studio lounge" for folks in the studios. Which i like and why i booked a studio and would have even if maybe it wasn't much different to get a slightly bigger cabin somewhere else.

After this cruise i may not care about the studio lounge, but for me, first time cruising by myself (the one other time was in 2002 with my Mom to Alaska, so very different), the lounge concept is what won me over and gave me the push i needed to go. Figured i can be on my own if i want but there's a space a to meet like minded folks if i want someone to go eat with or whatever.

And a "private" place to go in yoga pants and a hoodie at 3AM if i want a snack without being out in "public." :)

After this cruise i may not care about the studio lounge, but for me, first time cruising by myself (the one other time was in 2002 with my Mom to Alaska, so very different), the lounge concept is what won me over and gave me the push i needed to go. Figured i can be on my own if i want but there's a space a to meet like minded folks if i want someone to go eat with or whatever.

And a "private" place to go in yoga pants and a hoodie at 3AM if i want a snack without being out in "public." :)

I was on the GA in a studio for my first cruise ever (which was also solo; see TR in sig), and I absolutely loved it. I appreciated the locked-off area, it made me feel more secure in what was an overwhelmingly new environment for me. I also really appreciated being a few steps from the lounge, although I ate way too much of that poundcake and developed a temporary cafe crema addiction. And no, I didn't always change out of my loungewear to go there late at night. ;)

I think you'll love it.

I was on the GA in a studio for my first cruise ever (which was also solo; see TR in sig), and I absolutely loved it. I appreciated the locked-off area, it made me feel more secure in what was an overwhelmingly new environment for me. I also really appreciated being a few steps from the lounge, although I ate way too much of that poundcake and developed a temporary cafe crema addiction. And no, I didn't always change out of my loungewear to go there late at night. ;)

I think you'll love it.

Just read your review. You sound similar in temperament to myself, made me very happy i already got the spa pass for the week! Though i'm going no internet for the week. Which may kill me. I work in digital so... eek. I'll just hold my phone and look at it longingly. My kindle is stocked.

I will be looking like the guy from mr robot in the lounge late nite. Hoodie pulled up over my head, clutching coffee.

Just read your review. You sound similar in temperament to myself, made me very happy i already got the spa pass for the week! Though i'm going no internet for the week. Which may kill me. I work in digital so... eek. I'll just hold my phone and look at it longingly. My kindle is stocked.

I will be looking like the guy from mr robot in the lounge late nite. Hoodie pulled up over my head, clutching coffee.

Oh snap. Man, that show went dark, didn't it?

I have to agree that it should be made for all solo travelers. But, thats just me.

As a solo traveler I like to find the least expensive option. On this next cruise though, an inside was cheaper than the studio which is odd.

After staying in a studio, it's really nothing to get crazy over. Maybe just the cappuccino machine. However, on my Epic sailing it was broken for 2 days. Each morning I went down there for breakfast there was not a lot of pastries left. And I was waking up at 6:00 am and getting down there at 7:00 am. Not once did I see an attendant in there in the morning refilling pastries or anything.

So, IMO, it's really not that exclusive and all solos should be given access so they too, can feel welcomed onboard and be able to meet others.

I will be going to guest services or down to the lounge to see about getting access when I'm onboard in Jan.

I have to agree that it should be made for all solo travelers. But, thats just me.

As a solo traveler I like to find the least expensive option. On this next cruise though, an inside was cheaper than the studio which is odd.

After staying in a studio, it's really nothing to get crazy over. Maybe just the cappuccino machine. However, on my Epic sailing it was broken for 2 days. Each morning I went down there for breakfast there was not a lot of pastries left. And I was waking up at 6:00 am and getting down there at 7:00 am. Not once did I see an attendant in there in the morning refilling pastries or anything.

So, IMO, it's really not that exclusive and all solos should be given access so they too, can feel welcomed onboard and be able to meet others.

I will be going to guest services or down to the lounge to see about getting access when I'm onboard in Jan.

Haha, so your argument is basically "it kind of sucks and therefore I want access to it?" ;)

The studios are sometimes more expensive BECAUSE they are popular and because of the added amenity of the lounge. People are willing to pay more, just as they are willing to pay more for Haven.

Edited by perditax

I have in the past few years found myself incapable of cruising without a balcony, so as cool as the studio rooms look I won't be booking one. On my Getaway cruise I didn't even try to attend the solo gatherings, after the first day's in one of the bars where I didn't see anything that looked like a solo group, so I left after approximately 30 seconds.

BUT now that I know there is a cappuccino machine in there I might attempt to get access to the lounge next cruise! A similar machine was probably my very favorite thing about the "diamond lounge" on Oasis of the Seas--I drank more milk than I have in years because of all the lattes I made with that thing!

I guess we all have our own priorities, huh? ;)

I have done a Studio cabin twice now and I loved both times and yes both times they were more expensive than a regular inside cabin. I really liked having the coffee, pastries etc. available some place close.

Not all of the solo meet ups were held in the Studio lounge so really it is only a lounge for the Studio cabins. However, some were held there and yes there was a whiteboard.

If I was not staying in a Studio I would probably go the first time to find out who the Solo cruise person is and get their contact number. They usually give it.

If you have questions contact the Solo Person to find out what is on the white board or ask for access to look at it etc. That info should be available to all. Just a suggestion.

Happy cruising all!!:)

Haha, so your argument is basically "it kind of sucks and therefore I want access to it?" ;)

The studios are sometimes more expensive BECAUSE they are popular and because of the added amenity of the lounge. People are willing to pay more, just as they are willing to pay more for Haven.

I've only been on one NCL, but have priced many because I'm constantly looking for a deal and cruise to fit; time, budget and ports. With that said, the studios are often priced lower. I don't recall ever seeing one priced less.

According to NCLs website "And if you’re traveling solo, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Escape and Pride of America feature our award-winning Studios designed and priced for solo travelers, which also include exclusive access to the Studio Lounge.

It's priced for solo travelers, in this last case, for me, it wasn't. I'm not saying since it sucked I want access, I just want access so I can meet other people. I hung out in the lounge on my last cruise and I don't recall seeing people sneaking in or complaining about people sneaking in. Maybe it's different per cruise, but I don't think others in the studio cabins would mind if other solos came down to plan. But who knows, maybe they would mind as some of you do.

All you can do is ask though, which is what I intend on doing. And if they say no, they oh well. I can find plenty of things to do on my own and perhaps meet other people outside the lounge.

Just thought I'd add in that I do understand you guys' viewpoint. And I even agree, to an extent. I wouldn't appreciate family members and children coming in there either, when the lounge is supposed to be a quiet place for solos to be away from the maddening crowds.

I just don't consider other solo travelers part of the crowds I want to stay away from. lol

I guess it's just that, having been in the studios twice before, the lounge was always empty when I was in there during the day and night (the solo gathering excluded, of course)...and that was on the Epic, which has a lot more studios than Breakaway and Getaway. So I really can't see the lounge being "overrun" just by giving access to a few more solo travelers.

Nonetheless, I hope the first timers enjoy the studios! They're awesome! :)