Last minute questions - Oosterdam

BSR

Getting ready to sail on my first Holland cruise to Alaska this week.

Any tips, secrets or advice? Things I should not miss?

Can I go directly to my cabin when I first board to drop off my carry on bags before having lunch?

Is there still happy hours before dinner?

Any idea what nights will be formal?

Can I request an iron and ironing board to touch up my clothes?

Thanks in advance.

Any tips, secrets or advice? Things I should not miss? Sail away is wonderful!

Can I go directly to my cabin when I first board to drop off my carry on bags before having lunch? Yes - one of the best parts of embarkation day.

Is there still happy hours before dinner? Yes, in all the bars drinks are usually buy 1 get another for $1, including soda. Details will be in the daily program as well as the drink of the day.

Any idea what nights will be formal? Sea days

Can I request an iron and ironing board to touch up my clothes? No but if there is self-service laundry facilities on your ship (some have these and some do not) there will be an iron and ironing board in there. If not, just ask your cabin steward (but there will be a charge for pressing unless you are in a suite).

Thanks in advance.

see above

If you have sailed on ANY of Carnival Corp. lines (HAL, Princess, Carnival, several others) you are a one star Mariner on HAL. This gets you an invite to a Mariner Luncheon later in the cruise, PLUS you can go to the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day (Noon - 1 PM normally) - much better experience the first day IMO.

One secret - on HAL you can order your dinner brought to your cabin by room service. Must order the first hour the dining room is open for delivery at any dinner time. You order off of the main dining room menu for that day.

Edited by DaveOKC

Any tips, secrets or advice? Things I should not miss? Yes. Don't miss every opportunity to have fun you can. Try something new everyday. Some you'll like others not so much.

Can I go directly to my cabin when I first board to drop off my carry on bags before having lunch? Yes you can and should. Meet your cabin steward(s), ask for anything special you need, and spend the rest of the time exploring the Lady O before the muster drill.

Is there still happy hours before dinner? yes - yes. Sometimes we forget about dinner. Time gets away from old folks, you know.

Any idea what nights will be formal? Usually sea days, but I keep reading that formal nights are going the way of nickle bubble gum.

Can I request an iron and ironing board to touch up my clothes? Not a chance in the world. Irons are bad on ships. This is when you take advantage of the laundry. Most of the costs are cheap at twice the price.

Thanks in advance.

Please enjoy your cruise.

If you have sailed on ANY of Carnival Corp. lines (HAL, Princess, Carnival, several others) you are a one star Mariner on HAL. This gets you an invite to a Mariner Luncheon later in the cruise, PLUS you can go to the main dining room for lunch on embarkation day (Noon - 1 PM normally) - much better experience the first day IMO.

I have sailed with Carnival so I am a one star Mainer. Do I need a special invite for lunch on embarkation day?

Please enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for answering my questions. I tried to find out the information on the irons, but didn't see any self-service facilities for the Oosterdam. I know they prohibited you to bring your own, but NCL allows you to request them for you to use for 1 hour. I just thought maybe HAL did too.

Yes, you may go right to your cabin to drop off your bags.

For lunch, the Lido is always open. The Main Dining Room is usually open for lunch, unless there's a big tour of travel agents or a charity event. If you want to have lunch in the MDR, don't ask about it, just go and see if it's open. Lunch on embarkation day used to be a Mariner's perk. Now it's open to anyone.

There is a happy hour in the Crow's Nest. I'm not sure about timing, but it will be in the daily "On Location," which lists meal times and activities. Do you have open or fixed dining?

HAL now calls formal nights "gala nights." Jacket and tie are "appropriate" for gentlemen, but collared shirt and long slacks are the required minimum on all nights if you want to go to the MDR. So far it seems more people go for "appropriate" rather than minimum on gala nights.

Alaska is a wonderful. If you haven't been there before, you should know that you need to plan for ANY kind of weather, so pack to dress in layers, including a waterproof top layer.

Enjoy!!!

I have sailed with Carnival so I am a one star Mainer. Do I need a special invite for lunch on embarkation day?

No invitations are sent. Go online (HAL) and create an account with Holland America. It should show you as a one star mariner once you log in. If not, call the Mariner Society and they will set it up for you. 1‐800‐547‐9139 (outside of the U.S. call 206‐281‐3535 ext. 8353)

The one star will be on your cabin key.

Edited by DaveOKC

No invitations are sent. Go online (HAL) and create an account with Holland America. It should show you as a one star mariner once you log in. If not, call the Mariner Society and they will set it up for you. 1‐800‐547‐9139 (outside of the U.S. call 206‐281‐3535 ext. 8353)

Yes, that's right. One thing the OP should know is that, while you will start out as a 1-star Mariner, you will have no days to your credit. Unfortunately, days sailed with a "sister" line do not carry over to HAL.

Thanks... The one star is already on my account.:)

Hi, BSR!

I've been reading the message boards. It seems the embarkation lunch for Mariners is no longer. There is now a welcome aboard gathering between 3:00 and 4:00 ...to end just before the muster drill. I have only had lunch in the Lido on the first day ONCE. What a rat race!

Last HAL cruise (see below), I learned that you can request the daily "newspaper" be delivered to your cabin. They used to do it automatically. They do have places around the ship where you can get one...but they go fast.

When announcements come overr the PA, many people open their doors to hear them. But, they are streamed onto your TV..the channel that shows the bow cam.

Another Lido comment....many assume the food offerings are the same for breakfast...the are not. Most of the food is the same; however , one side has Eggs Benedict (many variations) ....I seem to think the starboard side. Other side serves Belgian Waffles.

I look forward to meeting you.

Sue

Hi, BSR!

I've been reading the message boards. It seems the embarkation lunch for Mariners is no longer. There is now a welcome aboard gathering between 3:00 and 4:00 ...to end just before the muster drill. I have only had lunch in the Lido on the first day ONCE. What a rat race!

Last HAL cruise (see below), I learned that you can request the daily "newspaper" be delivered to your cabin. They used to do it automatically. They do have places around the ship where you can get one...but they go fast.

When announcements come overr the PA, many people open their doors to hear them. But, they are streamed onto your TV..the channel that shows the bow cam.

Another Lido comment....many assume the food offerings are the same for breakfast...the are not. Most of the food is the same; however , one side has Eggs Benedict (many variations) ....I seem to think the starboard side. Other side serves Belgian Waffles.

Sue

Just to be clear, the embarkation lunch in the MDR is no longer a Mariner event, but there is still lunch. Lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is open to everyone now.

You had the welcome reception at 3:00? That's another variation on this event. I've had it at 1:30, and other posters have reported it at 1:00. I guess they vary it depending on sailing time.

Hi, BSR!

Sue

Thanks Sue. Really looking forward to this cruise. I hope to see you on board.