First time on Holland America--any tips?

Nebr.cruiser

If your dinner in the Pinnacle was a result of Explore4 or the Anniversary Promo you can not make an advanced reservation. HAL will pick that for you and when you first arrive in your stateroom there will be a card with the reservation time awaiting you. If those arrangements are not to your liking you can either call the Pinnacle or drop by their desk and see if you can change the reservation. Several have noted in the past that they were successful in making changes.

I don't know if this is still true for all ships. In May, on the Maasdam, we did not receive a reservation time card. When I went to the PG to inquire about it, I was told that I had to make the reservation personally. They checked to confirm the promotion. It was no problem, other than to make it amongst the pre-paid reservations. I did to this on embarkation day, though.

Yum--love bread pudding! And, so many other great ideas. I'm a reader so I'll be checking out the library. All the storage sounds great--thanks for that tip. We're in a guarantee cabin (balcony) so who knows what we'll get.

Can you reserve the Pinnacle Grill beforehand? Also, somewhere else I read that you can reserve it near the buffet the first day and that might be faster. We might just try dinner in our room some night--what a great option.

If you are a reader I think you will really enjoy the library. As others have said, I think HAL has some of the best Libraries at sea. I do enjoy reading a lot and have never had a problem finding some good reads aboard HAL. I tried a Celebrity cruise this spring and I was so disappointed with their library as it was not much of a library. I guess HAL spoiled me that way.

The bread pudding sounds amazing. Does HAL offer biscuits and sausage gravy as part of their breakfast offering?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

The Amersterdam did not. I asked in the breakfast line thinking maybe I missed it but was told they do not have biscuits and gravy. :(

If you are a geek like me, there are really good Windows and photo editing classes on most (all?) HAL ships. Go early as they fill up fast.

I have noticed the classes before but never participated. Plan to this year with the WIN 10 release - have yet to upgrade waiting to learn how to do it first.

I noticed it is being offered on our cruise in Nov. Should we be signing up early or do we just need to get there early for the class?

Others have mentioned the Explorations Café close to the library. The coffee and drinks do cost extra, but the treats and snacks in the display case do not. You do have to ask the worker behind the counter to get your selections.
OMG, I did not know this. We bought a wonderful chai latte, but I just assumed the snacks were for sale, too.

I will second the Unlimited Laundry. For $7 a day, this is one thing I always get and feel it is a bargain! We typically fill the bag and leave it on our bed when we leave for breakfast. Usually the clothes are back the next morning.
It truly is a bargain, and the clothes come back perfect, folded or hung, your choice. I absolutely loved this, and we will be taking fewer clothes next cruise.

I hadn't found the chocolates in a few year's - I figured they had stopped doing this - wonderful to hear they still are Explorer's lounge you say? How late in the evening do they do this?

:rolleyes:

Hi Hugger -

They offer them on a small plate/tray and when they're gone, they're gone. Unless you're on a Grand Cruise itinerary, and then they seem to replenish them assiduously (that was on the Amsterdam). Check out the Explorer's Lounge early during the dinner process :) We had those "dam good" chocolates on the Oosterdam last October, and as that's the ship the OP (Nebraska cruiser) will be on, I responded.

We'll be on the Westerdam in just a week, and I will be more than happy to do the research for you and report back here:D Wish me luck:D

Hi Hugger -

They offer them on a small plate/tray and when they're gone, they're gone. Unless you're on a Grand Cruise itinerary, and then they seem to replenish them assiduously (that was on the Amsterdam). Check out the Explorer's Lounge early during the dinner process :) We had those "dam good" chocolates on the Oosterdam last October, and as that's the ship the OP (Nebraska cruiser) will be on, I responded.

We'll be on the Westerdam in just a week, and I will be more than happy to do the research for you and report back here:D Wish me luck:D

I'll be on the Westerdam next summer and would love to know about their chocolates.

I'll be on the Westerdam next summer and would love to know about their chocolates.

I forgot to mention that the Westerdam has that chocolate shop forward on deck 3 (Promenade) near the shops, but the shop is only on the Westerdam. I think it's called "Chocolate Seduction". Boy, all this chocolate research I'll have to be doing:D

Edited by middle-aged mom
spelling mistake. My fingers ran away with me as I salivated.....

I forgot to mention that the Westerdam has that chocolate shop forward on deck 3 (Promenade) near the shops, but the shop is only on the Westerdam. I think it's called "Chocolate Seduction". Boy, all this chocolate research I'll have to be doing:D

Here is what you will find at the Chocolate Seduction Shop:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_0756.pdf

I have noticed the classes before but never participated. Plan to this year with the WIN 10 release - have yet to upgrade waiting to learn how to do it first.

I noticed it is being offered on our cruise in Nov. Should we be signing up early or do we just need to get there early for the class?

No need to sign up, just get there a little early. They repeat the classes, during the cruise. Just ask the instructor for the schedule. I find them very informative and have always walked away with new knowledge. Printouts of the class are given at the end of session. They do have an open time where you can go in and work on things you have learned.

Is it just chocolate drinks?

No, they have chocolates for eating, too. But you have to pay for them at the Chocolate Seduction shop. In the Explorer's Lounge, they're complimentary, although the selection is much more limited.

Apologies to the OP for the Westerdam chocolate digression:o

On some ships they have the chocolates in the Explorations Cafe in the evening in the display case in addition to or instead of the ones they may have in the Explorer's Lounge. We had read that the treats in the display case were intended for those purchasing drinks so we asked the young woman who was there. She said that we could certainly have anything in the case even if we did not purchase anything. This was on the Westerdam in April and also on the Statendam in November 2014.

Edited by mcmarya

The bread pudding sounds amazing. Does HAL offer biscuits and sausage gravy as part of their breakfast offering?

Not sure that I've ever seen it but they have an area with half a dozen or more different kinds of eggs benedict... The crab benedict is my all time fave!

Does anyone know where? Would love the crab eggs Benedict.

Here is the layout of the Lido Restaurant with the top right station showing where you can find the various eggs benedict creations (including crab):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Vista-Class-Lido-Layout-no-background.pdf

Here is the Lido Restaurant Breakfast Menu that shows the availability of crab meat at the Eggs Benedict Station:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Lido-Breakfast-Menu.pdf

Hope these help.

• 4 months later...
per cabin

Do you have to pre-pay or book the daily laundry fee in advance? Does it include items that need dry cleaning? I don't usually bring too many things that can be laundered, I primarily wear dresses that need to be dry cleaned. I also don't foresee myself needing to clean our clothes everyday. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you have to pre-pay or book the daily laundry fee in advance? Does it include items that need dry cleaning? I don't usually bring too many things that can be laundered, I primarily wear dresses that need to be dry cleaned. I also don't foresee myself needing to clean our clothes everyday. Thanks!

No need to prepay or pre-book. The Laundry List will be on a hanger with a laundry bag in your closet. When you send out a bag of laundry/dry cleaning, you are billed.

Edited by Crew News

No need to prepay or pre-book. The Laundry List will be on a hanger with a laundry bag in your closet. When you send out a bag of laundry/dry cleaning, you are billed.

So, for the $7 a day unlimited cleaning, you can pick it up anytime during your trip? That seems to good to be true, since I would guess people would just sign up their last day...

So, for the $7 a day unlimited cleaning, you can pick it up anytime during your trip? That seems to good to be true, since I would guess people would just sign up their last day...

Not quite. You purchase it for the entire cruise. The price works out to either $7 or $9 per day. Unlimited laundry for a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean or Alaska would cost $49; for a 14 day cruise, it would cost $98.

Another thing to note is that they only accept laundry up to the last 48 hours of the cruise. They need time to get it back to you before you pack your suitcases. So, for a 7 day cruise, it's $49/cabin for five days of laundry service.

Edited by Alberta Quilter