Freestyle burger and dunkin dog

chefestelle

Has anyone tried the freestyle burger at Dive-in? I've read some reviews that the mushroom is so small that it can't be seen or tasted. DD would love a portobello burger. As for the dogs, do you know if they are available as veggie dogs? That would be awesome.

Having been thoroughly and incredibly ill once with food poisoning at a buffet, it really takes a lot of work for me to warm up to them. So I'm hoping to do the Dive-In on embarkation day instead of the Lido! Don't get me wrong. I'm sure I'll end up there. It's just that I know it won't be day 1...

I maybe in the minority but I was disappointed with the portabella burger. I tried it twice. The first time with a bun and I thought the mushroom was overwhelmed by the big bun. So the second time I ordered it bun-less. Sorry to say, I still found it lacking. Portabella burgers are usually my go to sandwich. I thought these where undersized and overcooked.

Needless to say though, I hardly starved! So many other options.

The Portobello "burger" is a normal, large, Portobello mushroom cap. I have no idea how a person couldn't "see" them. (It's not an enoki burger.) Like someone mentioned earlier - give it a try. Don't cost 'nuthin. :)

That's a similar complaint to the other reviews I read. Sadly there aren't that many options at a burger joint for a vegetarian, much less a vegan. Still, she won't starve, as you say. She doesn't mind buffets - unless that unfortunate business at Club Med has put her off[emoji15][emoji40]

The Portobello "burger" is a normal, large, Portobello mushroom cap. I have no idea how a person couldn't "see" them. (It's not an enoki burger.) Like someone mentioned earlier - give it a try. Don't cost 'nuthin. :)

Mm mm. An enoki burger could be good! I put them in a vegan mushroom soup once when I didn't have enough buttons. They really added something! The reviews said pretty much what trolleyGirl said. Too small, lacking in flavour and overwhelmed with other flavours. I imagine they start with big portobellos and end with the smaller!

Just got back from a cruise on the Ms Noordam.

Honestly, vegetarian choices were scarce or bad. The portabello mushroom sandwich was a small slimy mushroom dwarfed by a huge bun and a heap of their "special sauce".

Usually only one entree choice in the MDR for the vegetarians.

The waiter laughed and I had to repeat myself an additional two times before I could get a tuna melt sandwich - hold the tuna.

Lido deck - I tried the cheese pizza once - it was stone cold. Pasta bar? They use the same pan and utensils for all guests so there is meat juice in every dish - same with the omelet bar.

Lido - no vegetarian sausage available however if you wish to hide away in your room, you can get it through room service.

Yes, in the MDR you can preorder a vegetarian meal but it has to be done 24 hours in advance and since you have to know 24 hours in advance what you are in the mood to eat, I assume the meal is frozen. Mmmmm yum - not so much. I will be honest and tell you I did not do the pre-order meal - it may have been good.

I have only done one other cruise - taken shortly after I became vegetarian. I was blissfully unaware of all the cross contamination taking place. Therefore, Holland America may offer the best vegetarian food service of all the cruise lines. If that is true, it is very sad.

BTW - I did not see a veggie dog at the pool restaurant but if you wish to get laughed at by the staff, go ahead and ask.

Edited by Knittinglady
Answering OP's specific question.

Yes, in the MDR you can preorder a vegetarian meal but it has to be done 24 hours in advance and since you have to know 24 hours in advance what you are in the mood to eat, I assume the meal is frozen. Mmmmm yum - not so much. I will be honest and tell you I did not do the pre-order meal - it may have been good.

Not even close. But it's items that aren't just on the scheduled menu that day so they need to know what to prep. The only meals that ever come from frozen onboard are kosher and the reasons for that are quite obvious to those that need them.

HAL actually enhanced their vegetarian selections on a MAJOR level a few years back and while I haven't ordered from the vegetarian menu several of the options sounded good and on a galley tour the chef showed us some pictures and they looked really good too

Things can change in 3.5 years but here's the press release from that time:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1009

Edited by InTheWASide

I cruised in January with my husband who is a vegetarian. I had my travel agent list him as a vegetarian and we had no problems.

Honestly, vegetarian choices were scarce or bad. The portabello mushroom sandwich was a small slimy mushroom dwarfed by a huge bun and a heap of their "special sauce". -- I agree, choices at the Dive-In are limited for vegetarians. He tried the portabello mushroom burger, but found it overwhelmingly mushroom. But the taco bar had plenty of choices and he loved the customizable nacho options.

Usually only one entree choice in the MDR for the vegetarians. -- We found several choices, but I understand from reading these boards, the menu has been re-organized since our cruise.

Lido deck - I tried the cheese pizza once - it was stone cold. Pasta bar? They use the same pan and utensils for all guests so there is meat juice in every dish - same with the omelet bar. -- The Lido pizza is terrible, not just for vegetarians, but for everyone. But DH did not find an issue with the pans for pasta and stir-fries. And the staff cooking the stir fries/pasta dishes would rinse the pans with hot water if asked.

Lido - no vegetarian sausage available however if you wish to hide away in your room, you can get it through room service. -- we asked for vegetarian sausage several mornings, and got it. There was a wait while it was cooked to order, but it was available.

Yes, in the MDR you can preorder a vegetarian meal but it has to be done 24 hours in advance and since you have to know 24 hours in advance what you are in the mood to eat, I assume the meal is frozen. Mmmmm yum - not so much. I will be honest and tell you I did not do the pre-order meal - it may have been good. -- This is absolutely not true. The vegetarian meals you pre-order are cooked fresh on the day there are served. And if you indicate on your reservation that you are a vegetarian, sometimes regular menu choices can be made vegetarian. That happened to DH without even asking. Also, in addition to the standard vegetarian menu to pre-order from, DH was offered both an Indian and Indonesian menu to chose from. You admit you did not take advantage of the pre-order option, so your assumptions are just that. And I know for a fact they are incorrect.

I fully admit, in some areas, the vegetarian offerings need improvement. But I found, having to be on the lookout for vegetarian choices for DH, on the cruise it was no harder than being vegetarian at most land-based restaurants in the US, and having indicated on our reservation that he was a vegetarian, it was actually easier in the Main Dining Room. The waiters there bend over backward to please and will do everything they can to make sure you have a satisfying meal.

Edited by ellieanne

If I'm not mistaken, there is a vegetarian choice on the dinner menu every night.:)

If you went to a restaurant and there was only one entree to choose from night after night, you probably would not rate that restaurant very high or you would stop going.

Same for a restaurant that requires you to order 24 hours in advance for a frozen meal.

The food is part of the hefty price I paid for this cruise. I paid the same amount for food as everyone else on that boat. Why should I get a substandard experience?

Since I cannot get money back for food I did not eat, my only recourse is to report that substandard experience here when asked and to take my vacation dollars elsewhere which I will if I do not see any changes the next time I contemplate Holland America.

I cruised in January with my husband who is a vegetarian. I had my travel agent list him as a vegetarian and we had no problems.

Honestly, vegetarian choices were scarce or bad. The portabello mushroom sandwich was a small slimy mushroom dwarfed by a huge bun and a heap of their "special sauce". -- I agree, choices at the Dive-In are limited for vegetarians. He tried the portabello mushroom burger, but found it overwhelmingly mushroom. But the taco bar had plenty of choices and he loved the customizable nacho options.

Usually only one entree choice in the MDR for the vegetarians. -- We found several choices, but I understand from reading these boards, the menu has been re-organized since our cruise..

Lido deck - I tried the cheese pizza once - it was stone cold. Pasta bar? They use the same pan and utensils for all guests so there is meat juice in every dish - same with the omelet bar. -- The Lido pizza is terrible, not just for vegetarians, but for everyone. But DH did not find an issue with the pans for pasta and stir-fries. And the staff cooking the stir fries/pasta dishes would rinse the pans with hot water if asked.

Lido - no vegetarian sausage available however if you wish to hide away in your room, you can get it through room service. -- we asked for vegetarian sausage several mornings, and got it. There was a wait while it was cooked to order, but it was available.

Yes, in the MDR you can preorder a vegetarian meal but it has to be done 24 hours in advance and since you have to know 24 hours in advance what you are in the mood to eat, I assume the meal is frozen. Mmmmm yum - not so much. I will be honest and tell you I did not do the pre-order meal - it may have been good. -- This is absolutely not true. The vegetarian meals you pre-order are cooked fresh on the day there are served. And if you indicate on your reservation that you are a vegetarian, sometimes regular menu choices can be made vegetarian. That happened to DH without even asking. Also, in addition to the standard vegetarian menu to pre-order from, DH was offered both an Indian and Indonesian menu to chose from. You admit you did not take advantage of the pre-order option, so your assumptions are just that. And I know for a fact they are incorrect.

I fully admit, in some areas, the vegetarian offerings need improvement. But I found, having to be on the lookout for vegetarian choices for DH, on the cruise it was no harder than being vegetarian at most land-based restaurants in the US, and having indicated on our reservation that he was a vegetarian, it was actually easier in the Main Dining Room. The waiters there bend over backward to please and will do everything they can to make sure you have a satisfying meal.

I am happy your experience was better than mine.

As far as it being the same as restaurants at home - not for me. I live in a metropolitan area where most restaurants have at least a few choices for vegetarians and there are vegetarian restaurants that understand a swish or two of hot water does not stop cross contamination and therefore do not prepare meat in the same space.

I stand by my opinion.

I am happy your experience was better than mine.

As far as it being the same as restaurants at home - not for me. I live in a metropolitan area where most restaurants have at least a few choices for vegetarians and there are vegetarian restaurants that understand a swish or two of hot water does not stop cross contamination and therefore do not prepare meat in the same space.

I stand by my opinion.

A cruise ship is not the same as a metropolitan restaurant. I would think a restaurant could cater more to individual tastes. If I was so unhappy with the experience I would not be back. That is why I have zero desire to return to celebrity.

If you went to a restaurant and there was only one entree to choose from night after night, you probably would not rate that restaurant very high or you would stop going.

Same for a restaurant that requires you to order 24 hours in advance for a frozen meal.

The food is part of the hefty price I paid for this cruise. I paid the same amount for food as everyone else on that boat. Why should I get a substandard experience?

Since I cannot get money back for food I did not eat, my only recourse is to report that substandard experience here when asked and to take my vacation dollars elsewhere which I will if I do not see any changes the next time I contemplate Holland America.

And which other cruise lines offer better vegetarian choices?