Britannia

FlossStevo

Hi, any-one who has sailed on the Britannia can you let me know if you think it up to the same standards as Princess Cruise line. We are comparing a cruise in June/July next year between Britannia & Emerald Princess. Destinations are similar enough but which is the better ship to chose?

Emerald is the same as Ventura and Azura. Britannia as you probably know has very small balconies and no outside cabins but is a considerably bigger ship geared to the British market. A kettle and tea and coffee in your cabin cannot be underestimated!

I've only sailed Princess once but in my experience I would say the service and food was a cut above P&O - others may disagree. Princess have the International Cafe and Vines and P&O have nothing to compare. However the chargeable Limelight Club and Cookery Club on Britannia are unique and excellent. The buffet area on Britannia is huge and superbly designed whereas on Emerald it is rather narrow and a bit awkward.

Obviously the entertainment on Britannia is very UK oriented, Princess will be different (not necessarily a bad thing). It's swings and roundabouts. You'll have a great time on either if them.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Edited by jaceyar

the most obvious advantage of Emerald Princess is, like Azura and Ventura, she has a promenade deck. Brittania does not, having 2 large 'balconies' which IMO is insufficient for those who like their cruise to have some relationship with the sea! Apart from that Brittania is a lovely ship with excellent facilities.

Britannia for us was underwhelming. P&O is a downscaled version of Princess in all respects.

We had a great time aboard Britannia mainly because it was a Strictly Come Dancing themed cruise and during school holidays so there a wide age range (including well behaved kids).

For us though the food was too British and the selection in the Horizon buffet limited. We did eat in the Limelight club and the food there was excellent but in the MDR the food was just OK.

We wont being rushing to go with P&O again but I can't wait to get back on board a Princess ship, particularly Royal or Regal. They have the "wow" factor lacking on Britannia.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion.

Britannia is a beautiful ship and does have the WOW factor in spates. The food is excellent and the Limelight Club and Crystal Room are particularly good. I don't particularly like theatre musicals but I have enjoyed quite a few of the shows. The buffet layout gets round most of the problems experienced by a lot of people on other ships such as Ventura and Azura.

A lot of people knock P&O because it caters for the British market. Surprise, Surprise, we are mostly British that sail on them just like Princess and Celebrity are mainly Americans. If you can stand that then fair enough.

Hi, any-one who has sailed on the Britannia can you let me know if you think it up to the same standards as Princess Cruise line. We are comparing a cruise in June/July next year between Britannia & Emerald Princess. Destinations are similar enough but which is the better ship to chose?

If the decision is based solely on standards then Princess are higher.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion.

Britannia is a beautiful ship and does have the WOW factor in spates. The food is excellent and the Limelight Club and Crystal Room are particularly good. I don't particularly like theatre musicals but I have enjoyed quite a few of the shows. The buffet layout gets round most of the problems experienced by a lot of people on other ships such as Ventura and Azura.

A lot of people knock P&O because it caters for the British market. Surprise, Surprise, we are mostly British that sail on them just like Princess and Celebrity are mainly Americans. If you can stand that then fair enough.

We generally find that if you sail from Southampton with Princess there are usually a lot more Brits than Americans and takes on a bit more like P&O but with different food.

If the decision is based solely on standards then Princess are higher.

I think you have to say that in your opinion that is true. I have met people who would say the opposite

Only in you opinion of course.

Obviously being the P&O section of the CC forum the P&O diehards wouldn't have it any other way.

The OP did ask for opinions from those who had been on both Emerald Princess and Britannia. Some people have commented who have no personal experience of Emerald Princess. Arguably my opinion (whilst my own of course) carries more weight.

We loved the Britannia, its like a floating boutique hotel. So much so we have booked to go on again next week. However, we can only compare to the sea princess which to us felt more like a sailing ship with plenty of movement especially in the Caribbean.I personally would say the dining experience on the Princess was superior but we got fed up with huge American size portions. The Britannia is a completely different type of ship and it depends on what you like ?

We have cruised both on Britannia and Emerald Princess in the last 12 months and even though Britannia is a beautiful ship IMO I would still prefer to sail with Princess for the better service, food and cruise experience. I have wondered since our cruise on Britannia maiden cruise whether the food and service was good only as an effort for maiden season and like all other P&O ships we have sailed on will the standards and food drop back to a lower standard I do hope not but will not hold my breath.

Obviously being the P&O section of the CC forum the P&O diehards wouldn't have it any other way.

The OP did ask for opinions from those who had been on both Emerald Princess and Britannia. Some people have commented who have no personal experience of Emerald Princess. Arguably my opinion (whilst my own of course) carries more weight.

Some would argue that you are a Princess diehard and having only been on a P&O ship once in recent years that your opinion doesn't carry much weight at all.

However, the fact is that we are all different and just coming on knocking P&O on the P&O section of the Forum will annoy those that do love P&O. Most P&O enthusiasts know its not perfect by any means but neither is any other cruise line.

Some would argue that you are a Princess diehard and having only been on a P&O ship once in recent years that your opinion doesn't carry much weight at all.

However, the fact is that we are all different and just coming on knocking P&O on the P&O section of the Forum will annoy those that do love P&O. Most P&O enthusiasts know its not perfect by any means but neither is any other cruise line.

Very true but equally there are those answering on this thread that have not cruised with any other cruiseline so cannot give an opinion of any cruiseline they have not cruised on. If they are happy with P&O that is their choice but they cannot have an opinion of Princess or like a lot say that P&O are the best when they have nothing to compare with. Like I said in my previous answer sailed on both ships in last 12 months and I would choose Emerald Princess because I know I will get good service and food which I would not be sure I would get on Britannia because I fear after the maiden season is over and they struggle to fill all the large ships prices will drop and so will standards.

I'm no Princess diehard and Princess has its faults too. I haven't knocked P&O either. I simply gave the OP an informed answer which other cruisers who have cruised with Princess and Celebrity have endorsed.

I never knock any cruise line as it is down to each person what they like. In fact I would never recommend a cruise line either because others may not like it. I would just give my opinion without knocking others. My preference from experience is P&O.

I think I should choose Emerald Princess. I think the design of the ship with it's Promenade Deck and familiar layout would suit me. P&O do a very good quality service and have in cabin tea/coffee making facilities plus British entertainment. But I found Britannia a bit of a confusing layout for this reason I would also avoid Royal and Regal by the way.

Both of your choices will offer an excellent cruising experience.

Regards John