Ocean Balcony or Central Park View

kohlepe

Just booked Oasis for the week of 12/12 cruise. We are still new to cruising (this is 4th cruise and first with Oasis class).

I was wondering for past cruisers on this ship - is ocean balcony really worth it? I heard since there are so much to do on this ship, Ocean Balcony might not be worth it. I looked at some clips on YouTube and seemed like the Ocean Balcony rooms on this ship are much smaller than the Freedom Class.

Right now, we got a free upgrade to Central Park View. We have enjoyed ocean balcony on both Indy and Liberty and just wondering if we should go for it on this ship as well.

Thoughts?

Also - Does anyone know what night is Love and Marriage show and Quest Game? I looked at past cruise compass and saw they are on 3 & 4 night. Would it be the same for 12/12?

Thanks! :D

Another consideration is the privacy issue. Cabins are directly across from each other and with the curtains open, especially with lights on at night, you can be seen inside your cabin. Many have mentioned having to keep the curtains drawn much of the time.

Also, your balcony is visible to those walking in Central Park and also all the others on their balconies!

A plus for the Central Park balconies is that the view is lovely down to the park and the string quartet plays from time to time which would sound lovely from the balcony!

We had a Central Park cabin on our Oasis cruise this past March and loved it. The view and peacefulness was very nice. The money we saved between an ocean view and Central Park cabin was significant, at least to us.(we used the "savings" to purchase the beverage package) We've had ocean view balconies on other cruises and enjoyed those, too.

For us, with the amount of time we spend in the cabin, found the Central Park balcony perfect.

We normally get an OV Balcony but with our last sailing in August we ended up with connecting Central Park View (no balcony). While I missed hvaing the ocean view, the savings we had for the 2 connecting cabins was well worth it. If I had to do it again (give up the OV balcony), I would probably just get the Central Park view vs. the Central Park balcony. I never saw anyone out on their CP balcony and we loved having the window seat as extra space that was actually usable.

With that being said...I'd always go for an OV balcony when budget permits! The main reason we go on cruises is for our love of the sea. However, with so much to do on this ship we are never in our cabin very much so other options work fine.

Before choosing, think of how you would use the cabin. We have always had Ocean balconies before. In November, we'll be trying our first neighborhood balcony, on Oasis. This is how we decided....

On past cruises (Freedom and Oasis classes) we used the cabin for sleeping mainly - night time and an afternoon nap. We spent time on the balcony for a little bit in the morning, but mainly sitting out at night before bed. At night, you can't see the ocean at all. So we found that we were sitting out at night listening to the water, but we couldn't see anything. For our upcoming cruise, we decided to go with a CP balcony, but later changed to a BW balcony at the very end of the Boardwalk. That way we will have a view of the ocean AND the Aqua Theater. We think this will fit us better than the extra money for the Ocean balcony. The drawback is that there is significant loss of privacy with neighborhood balconies. For us, though, not spending significant amounts of time inside the cabin, this shouldn't be much of an issue.

In the end, it comes down to your own personal style.

We love the view of the sea when cruising. Morning sunrises, evening sunsets, or just the open water during the day while cruising...the sea give me the sense of being on a cruise, which we love. We always sail in an ocean view balcony room.

Never sailed Oasis class, but I understand from reviews and other posters here, views of the ocean are very limited on this class of ships. To me, the view from a Central Park or Boardwalk balcony would be more like a land based hotel with other rooms just a stones throw across the way with little or no privacy. If at all possible, I would only book an ocean view balcony on these ships.

I would go with the ocean view balcony. There are few enough places to see outside on the ship.

Another consideration is the privacy issue. Cabins are directly across from each other and with the curtains open, especially with lights on at night, you can be seen inside your cabin...

Absolutely agree with both of these comments. My complaint with Oasis (if you will - I try not to complain, I'm on a cruise!!) is that the ship is focused inward, toward the inner neighborhoods. I didn't enjoy that. I cruise to see and hear the ocean. I found it very frustrating on Oasis, although I know some people here will simply say, well go to an open deck! Yeah, it's not as easy as that, in my opinion.

Enjoy your cruise, whatever cabin you are in. :)

Depending on what you paid initially you may be able to upgrade to an ocean view balcony ,for a little or no more, as the prices are pretty good right now. If you happen to be a senior as of today an ocean view balcony guarantee price is $907 , a D4 is $991, and a D5 is $998.

I could never give up an ocean view balcony - sunrise, sunset, the calm, the breeze, the sound, the smell, the warmth, the cold, the occasional privacy away from everyone and the hustle and bustle of ship activities, enjoying that first cup of morning tea on my balcony and not having to worry about how I look, taking a nap on the balcony as I listen to the ship sound cutting through the water as I fall asleep, waking to the same peaceful sound, the occasional glimpse of sea life, the coastline, watching distant lights of ships late at night, the stars, sailing into port, all from my little balcony...ahhh!

Also - Does anyone know what night is Love and Marriage show and Quest Game? I looked at past cruise compass and saw they are on 3 & 4 night. Would it be the same for 12/12?

Thanks! :D

For the Love and Marriage show look at the entertainment schedule for the main theater, Broadway show the first two nights, headliner and come fly with me last few nights. Love and Marriage at 10:30-11:00 pm., so, look for opening. Usually day 3-5

I was on The Allure and upgraded from an inside to Central Park. When I cruise I want to look and hear the ocean so my ultimate goal was the Oceanview Balcony. Sure enough about one month before my cruise last November I got to upgrade again to the Oceanview Balcony for $77. Loved every minute of it and would have paid more if I had to.

I could never give up an ocean view balcony - sunrise, sunset, the calm, the breeze, the sound, the smell, the warmth, the cold, the occasional privacy away from everyone and the hustle and bustle of ship activities, enjoying that first cup of morning tea on my balcony and not having to worry about how I look, taking a nap on the balcony as I listen to the ship sound cutting through the water as I fall asleep, waking to the same peaceful sound, the occasional glimpse of sea life, the coastline, watching distant lights of ships late at night, the stars, sailing into port, all from my little balcony...ahhh!

Your post sold us the balcony! LOL :D

We just upgraded.