Back from Independence... a few thoughts

dlong1969

It was TERRIBLE at the beginning of the week to the point that they gave D+ and extra day at the end of the week. It was not great after that but you could get on and surf around towards the end of the week. We were told that it was "fixed" and seemed that way as people could not get on at all early in the week.

It was HYSTERICAL! I thought Ricky was dry but it worked for that Quest. I have never seen so much clothing tossed and the ballerina dancers! I was dying! :eek:

Ricky is an amazing CD

Well, it seems as though I am not alone. I was starting to think by the responses I was getting on this thread that I was some sort of a Grinch, or maybe I just didn't get on the same ship as everyone else.

Again, I didn't have a horrible time... we really did have fun... but these negatives have tainted our opinion of cruising as a vacation. My wife is one of the most accepting, forgiving, accommodating people on the planet. She HAS to be.. she is married to ME.. :) BUT even she made very similar comments to me, and some of the reflections I shared are a combination of her thoughts and my thoughts.

Internet: Slower than dialup, when you could get on.... EXCEPT, surprisingly, Skype. Skype clarity, once we got connected, was remarkably clear... clearer than any other time we have been online on a ship.... which surprised me to say the least. I even sent a Facebook message to my daughters saying to not expect much from Skype, the internet was so horrible.... Connecting to any website other than the Free RC Sales websites was slow as dirt... however, connection to any site where you could buy something from Royal Caribbean was remarkably and noticeably faster.If you are planning on using the internet connection for work (A&L), you may want to set expectations low. If I were to have considered working from the ship, productivity would have been sub-par to say the very least.

Diamond Lounge - forget about it. We went up there at 7:00 PM on the second night... forget finding a seat. It's not gonna happen. I imagine unless you get there right at the open, you are pretty much out of luck. The experience was not relaxing, so we never went back.

San Juan... I agree with an earlier response.. what's the point if you are gonna get there so late? We got to spend about 45 minutes at the Fort, and that was about it.

A don't miss would be David Curtis each evening in the Schooner bar, if he's still on board. If it hadn't been for the "hijackers" (as my wife refers to them), we woudl have been there every night until he quit. Amazing guy...

As for the pool bar staff.. there was one young guy working in the Solarium. My wife pointed him out to me... he constantly walked in circles, head in the clouds, nothing on his tray, not talking to ANYONE or asking anyone if they wanted a drink. This was every day, each day. We saw him with a drink on his tray 2 times the entire cruise... AND when we saw this same kid in other venues, he was doing the same thing. Completely oblivous to the world around him.... and we were not the only ones to notice. Other people would be talking about him, and we would get a good smile and chuckle out of it....

This is all on perspective.You can read ten different reviews on same exact cruise with veteran cruisers and get ten different takes on everything.Its all a very personal experience.Some people are much harder to please then others and thats just a fact.Not saying the OP is just stating the obvious.

Two years ago I had my best ever vacation on oasis..I came back to this forum and read a review on same cruise that ripped it to shreds.I didnt experience ANYTHING she did....Just different perspectives..

Edited by rtazz17

This is all on perspective.You can read ten different reviews on same exact cruise with veteran cruisers and get ten different takes on everything.Its all a very personal experience.Some people are much harder to please then others and thats just a fact.Not saying the OP is just stating the obvious.

Two years ago I had my best ever vacation on oasis..I came back to this forum and read a review on same cruise that ripped it to shreds..Just different perspectives..

Exactly... but when you post things on here that are not positive, you often time get the snot kicked out of you, with people indicating that you must be crazy or an idiot if you didn't have the most amazing time of your life...

The turning tides in cruise vacations saddens me more than anything. I used to LOVE being onboard, and would usually have 2 or more cruises on the books at a time. Now we have to find something else to do with our vacation time....

Don,

Thanks so much for your thoughts on Independence. I am cruising on her next October and am hoping that all the "bugs" are worked out by then.

Unfortunately, the problems seem to be endemic to RCCL. Was just on the Explorer of the Seas from 9-2-15 to 9-18-15 - Since it is a recent re-fit, I had high expectations...was somewhat disappointed with problems very similar to what you found on Independence.

The overall attitude of the crew has changed over the years. They just don't seem to care anymore. I, also, assume that this has to do with the change in how gratuities are paid. Our cabin steward was a jewel. Very few other employees came up to her standard. We ate in the main dining room twice only - the service was appalling and the food not any better than the Windjammer. Servers in the buffet would take your drink order, then never return with the drinks. One afternoon, a group of about 15 of us went to The Tavern for a get together. We sat there for about an hour...no waiters even approached us, we fetched our own drinks. I spoke to many of my British friends on board and they said that the Brits just accept bad service as a matter of course. We all felt that the crew on Explorer has gotten used to low expectations. And anyway, why bust your hump if you aren't going to earn any more?

Don't yearn for the Freestyle Coke machines. They only work about 40% of the time. They are apparently tied into the WIFI - it only works about 40% of the time also. LOL. However, since we paid $480.00 for unlimited WIFI on 2 devices over 16 days, getting 40% of what we paid for made for some very unhappy bunnies.

I'll give RCCl one more shot in October 2016. May have to adjust over to Celebrity after that.

Happy cruising,

Our cabin steward was good as well. She was efficient and took care of things very well. We actually didn't end up drinking a bottle of wine we carried onboard, so we ended up giving it to her as a gift at the end of the cruise.

The bar and wait staff, like you said, just couldn't seem to care less. and it wasn't just our main dining staff either.

One standout.. Andre from Jamaica was a bar server in the deck 4 main dining room. He was good. He was attentive and kept my glass full (Diet Coke). he even went to a different venue to fill me up because the fountain was putting out crappy tasting diet coke... and he said he wouldn't serve it to me.

The Freestyle machines on Freedom could be spotty.... but we were on Enchantment last year, and the machines were in great locations that made sense, and worked most all of the time.

Edited by dlong1969

Hello everyone!!

Going on Indy on Sunday and can't wait!!! Need this vacation very bad!!!

Is anybody currently still on Indy right now and on cruise critic now? Or has anybody just gotten off in the past week?

Just wondering about some info like: who's the CD, the headliners, other acts or shows?

How was the food and other info?

Are there any secret balconies? Anything on the ship that's a can't miss?

Thanks for the help. We are getting excited!!!!

Edited by thjeepster
Spelling

I havent sailed RCCL for about five years since we moved to NCL and did a couple of DCL with my extended family.

We were on DCL over NYE with my family, dh, kids 21 and 17, my mom and my sisters family with three boys under 11. While it was great to be with family over NYE, my family missed NCL and RCCL. So, I asked everyone if they would want to try RCCL for NYE. It was hard to find a ship that sailed less than a week that was on the newer side along with trying to keep kids ages 7-22 happy and adults content but I found Indy. When I booked last January the reviews were outstanding. I have had a cruise on another line and a couple of vacations since I booked so havent been on the RCCL threads. I came back this month to start planning RCCL and so dismayed to read so much negativity about Indy.

We will have a great time Im sure but Im sailing with my mom who I call princess and likes to sail concierge on some lines or Haven on NCL, although she is Emerald on RCCL, and my sisters family who loves DCL.

Ive been sailing for 22 years. For me, the cruises get better and better. Yes there is some decline in some things but I enjoy drink packages, newer and bigger ships and all sorts of different accommodations. I sail on smaller (Sky and Majesty) ships and larger (Explorer class and Breakawy class on NCL and Dream class on DCL and CCL) and love them all but I like the larger ships with the bells and whistles given a choice.

Some people complain drinks are pushed too much in your fave and others say cant find a bar waiter. If I want a drink I can find a way to get it no worries lol

I have three aft cabins on deck 7 and know we will have a great time but wish I could read more positive reviews. I just want a clean ship with crew that is somewhat friendly.

Edited by js

Let me get this straight.....Chops is a specialty dining option for a charge but if you want a good steak you have to pay an up charge in a restaurant you already paid extra to eat in?

The more I read and hear about Royal the more I feel their not for me.

I dont like this either. Thats just silly to me. I will still eat there thiugh and if my kids or dh want an upse steak we will order and if not no worries bit that is just silly to me.

What cruiseline do you prefer?

Let me get this straight.....Chops is a specialty dining option for a charge but if you want a good steak you have to pay an up charge in a restaurant you already paid extra to eat in?

The more I read and hear about Royal the more I feel their not for me.

I'd say that if you want their best steak, there is an upcharge.

I'd skip Chops altogether and go to Giovanni's. Very nice filet there.

I dont like this either. Thats just silly to me. I will still eat there thiugh and if my kids or dh want an upse steak we will order and if not no worries bit that is just silly to me.

What cruiseline do you prefer?

Curious what the uncharged would be.

As you can see I've only cruised Carnival with the exception of Majesty of the Sea back in 2000 and we weren't fans of it at all. That being said I have always had a great cruise on Carnival but we've out grown them and or just need a change. I'm so excited to be going on Allure in five months but after that I think we're looking at Princess.

Trust me I will have a great time on the Allure !

Im on my phone so I cant see post counts, where ppl are from or their signatures so I didnt know you only sail Carnival.

I have a CCL cruise booked for January 29 on Breeze. Cant wait. Hoping I will like it and book a Havana Cabana on Vista for summer 2017.

A comparison, On RCCL you dont have to have all in the cabin purchase the beverage package but you do on CCL. My dd and I are sailing with my mom on Breeze and she only has a couple drinks a day so $450+ will be a waste on her gggrrrr.

My family enjoys Chops over Giovannis but we are from NY and use to good food espcially Italian lol but they are still both good. You can still go and not order an upsell steak.

Enjoy the Allure. I really want to boom Allure, Oasis or Anthem next.

Im on my phone so I cant see post counts, where ppl are from or their signatures so I didnt know you only sail Carnival.

I have a CCL cruise booked for January 29 on Breeze. Cant wait. Hoping I will like it and book a Havana Cabana on Vista for summer 2017.

A comparison, On RCCL you dont have to have all in the cabin purchase the beverage package but you do on CCL. My dd and I are sailing with my mom on Breeze and she only has a couple drinks a day so $450+ will be a waste on her gggrrrr.

My family enjoys Chops over Giovannis but we are from NY and use to good food espcially Italian lol but they are still both good. You can still go and not order an upsell steak.

Enjoy the Allure. I really want to boom Allure, Oasis or Anthem next.

Love the Breeze , it was my last cruise. One word of advice don't get a cabin in the AFT, there's a major smell back there and from what I've read it's still there.

I agree about the drink package ,don't like that policy. Enjoy the Breeze!

Love the Breeze , it was my last cruise. One word of advice don't get a cabin in the AFT, there's a major smell back there and from what I've read it's still there.

I agree about the drink package ,don't like that policy. Enjoy the Breeze!

Thank you. Im on the CCL threads too and I read that about the aft cabins. That being said, I originally had an aft booked on Deck 9 and then moved us to a Spa Balcony. We will ned to pay for my dd for the spa since we are three in a cabin but we all enjoy spending time in there on cruises.

I booked the steakshouse and Italian. Do you think I should book a second night for the steakhouse. Its 8 nights. Oops sorry all. Back to Indpndence lol

He was serious. No he did not charge double as we just got up and left. He never tried to stop us from going so I assume he was serious.

Interesting, though I still think he was joking (or maybe I'm giving him the benefit of doubt). I believe you mentioned your wife had the drink package so if he did charge double it would still work out to zero (0 x 2) :D